Improving insulation in fridge area. (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
I've got some draughts coming from behind the fridge, obviously with the wind blowing through the fridge vents around the fridge and finding its way through the TV cupboard. I want to improve the insulation. What is the best material to use. I had thought of loft insulation but read somewhere that although it's not flammable some of the treatment applied to it can be.

Many thanks
Alan

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's my understanding that the fridge must be completely sealed from the hab section to stop you dying from CO gasses.therefore you should have no drafts.
That is correct in theory but a lot of manufacturers don't seem to understand the rules.

Martin

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had trouble with our IH after the dealer in Evesham removed the fridge. (Never found out why they did this, but they scratched the flooring and then hid it under the carpet) (n)

But the fridge/exhaust is supposed to be isolated from the van interior.

IH cured the problem with no problem. They were as good as gold. (y)

OP
OP
aldhp21
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for all your replies. As I've already had one attempt to seal it by NickWhale I thought I would make sure this time by doing it myself.

Cheers
Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The top infill plate is the usual culprit as it will be angled down from the outside wall above the top vent to the rear top of the fridge.
Obviously this is a fixed plate fitted BEFORE the fridge is installed so may have a considerable gap.
The sides shouls be easy as the clearance between fridge and recess is usually very small and closed cell foam strip can be pushed in.
In general, if the worktop or sink directly over the fridge feels warm when the fridge has been on a while the top plate isnt sealed properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back