Impressed with DVLA! Very happ (1 Viewer)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I sent off my C1 licence application on the 23rd, medical having been done byDrivers Medicals. Licence didn't expire until 4th April but as I anticipated a delay in response to any enquiry to my GP, and I want to go to Spain early March, I attached a suitably worded letter to the papers asking if they would deal with the application early.

Image my surprise when the new licence arrived this morning, expiry dated for 5th April 2020.

Very happy with that service!(y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Lucky you, John has been asked to supply information which was sent in with his appliction. Now have the same information again, Had a letter back saying it may take months before his application is reviewed.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It REALLY should not be a "post code lottery" this lot are generally "Not fit for Purpose"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I have asked this before and got no response, how many of the people having delays in renewing their C1 entitlement have medical problems?

I have renewed my C&E entitlement 6 times since I was 45 and never had a delay or, significantly,a medical problem.

I am not saying it is right that there are delays but the problem seems to be in reviewing the medical problems.

If you think about the number of motorhomes on the road and the number of 'baby boomers' now needing to renew their C1 entitlement I can understand why there is some delay.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@matamoros
You are possibly correct that the delays are due to the vetting of medical problems.

However, if the applicant can expedite their side of the application process then the DVLA should be "geared up" to deal with the demand. Some delay is to be expected, perhaps 4-6 weeks would seem reasonable, but the DVLA seems to take months after they have received answers to all their questions.

My problems with the DVLA centred around retention of my motorbike entitlement when I renewed my picture licence. They wrote back asking for a copy of my licence. I sent them a reply with a photograph included,showing the documents requested being put into the initial registered envelope, together with a copy of the post verification.

I got my licence returned OK, but claiming not to have received documents from applicants seems to be a favourite delaying tactic of theirs.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Sent my application off on 23 Dec with all the forms and the new one was on the doorstep when we came back from the New Year Meet.:)
Trouble was they had dated it from Dec, not March when the old one expires (n).
Sent it back with a covering letter nearly four weeks ago, still waiting.
I think they will be getting a phone call today after the post man has been.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have asked this before and got no response, how many of the people having delays in renewing their C1 entitlement have medical problems?

I have renewed my C&E entitlement 6 times since I was 45 and never had a delay or, significantly,a medical problem.

I am not saying it is right that there are delays but the problem seems to be in reviewing the medical problems.

If you think about the number of motorhomes on the road and the number of 'baby boomers' now needing to renew their C1 entitlement I can understand why there is some delay.
The delay is in the medical review department. Having had the requested extra tests back in August, and we were told there is absolutely no problem, DVLA admit to logging the results in September but just say they haven't got round to it yet. So yes, the delay is for those with something in their medical history.

Deleted User
I am not saying it is right that there are delays

However, if the applicant can expedite their side of the application process then the DVLA should be "geared up" to deal with the demand. Some delay is to be expected, perhaps 4-6 weeks would seem reasonable, but the DVLA seems to take months after they have received answers to all their questions.

I am not saying it is right that there are delays

It is relatively simple for an individual to furnish the required paperwork, DVLA will probably have thousands to deal with and anything out of the ordinary will inevitably lead to delays, even if the original mistake was theirs, again not saying it is right.

Like all Government departments they are subject to financial constraints, possibly because we do not like paying taxes.

As I said previously there will be a bulge in the numbers for C1 licence renewal and in my opinion medical deficiencies should be investigated thoroughly, a C1 licence entitles a person to drive a vehicle up to 7500k + trailer, that's a big vehicle.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
[QUOTE="matamoros, post: 2214111, member: 2657"

As I said previously there will be a bulge in the numbers for C1 licence renewal and in my opinion medical deficiencies should be investigated thoroughly, a C1 licence entitles a person to drive a vehicle up to 7500k + trailer, that's a big vehicle.[/QUOTE]
I tend to agree with you.

Referring to the last para of your post (above); you can see the increase in future need but can they?

With the delays already being experienced it should be obvious that things will get worse unless either funding, systems, or both are overhauled.

Deleted User
Referring to the last para of your post (above); you can see the increase in future need but can they?

Now that raises a number of interesting points that quite a few on here will not like and to some extent I am playing 'Devils Advocate' here.

Should the tax paying population as a whole be expected to fund extra staff to cope with an increase in demand created by relatively wealthy retired people so that they can carry on with what is basically a leisure pursuit?

This affluent bulge is unlikely to be repeated.

This increase in demand is clogging up a system that many younger people, probably still in need of employment, with medical conditions that need some form of LGV (or even car) licence to carry on working.

Is this acceptable?

Should there be a system whereby 70+ year olds can pay an extra fee to expedite a medical revue?

Food for thought perhaps?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Now that raises a number of interesting points that quite a few on here will not like and to some extent I am playing 'Devils Advocate' here.

Should the tax paying population as a whole be expected to fund extra staff to cope with an increase in demand created by relatively wealthy retired people so that they can carry on with what is basically a leisure pursuit?

This affluent bulge is unlikely to be repeated.

This increase in demand is clogging up a system that many younger people, probably still in need of employment, with medical conditions that need some form of LGV (or even car) licence to carry on working.

Is this acceptable?

Should there be a system whereby 70+ year olds can pay an extra fee to expedite a medical revue?

Food for thought perhaps?
If you could please supply me with your address I will send you a bigger spoon to help your stirring.:whistle:

Keep them coming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back