importing motorhome "help" (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I have recently moved back to the UK from France and brought my Rapido with me hoping to have it re-registered in the UK.
I have been informed by VOSA that I need to have the following work done before I can have it registered. cannot take it to DVLA as the certificate of conformity does not meet the new 2012 EU regs. mine has 51 points new one has 52 points and they (DVLA) will not accept a backdated certificate.
New headlights
Fog light reversing light changed over
Speedo changed from KPH to MPH can use a decal but must be put under facia glass and able to be read when illuminated at night.
Can anyone who has had these modifications done recommend a garage, I live near to Mablethorpe Lincolnshire but will travel further to have work carried out.
Thanks in advance for any help
Bill

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Can't help with a dealer / service engineer, but here are some thoughts.

Speedo conversion: I got a new dial face for my Sprinter-based Hymer from Lockwoods, then fitted it myself.
http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/

Headlights: are they switchable? Some units have a changeable setting for Left / Right dip.

Rear fog light - can the units be switched side-to-side so the fog replaces the reversing light and vice-versa?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Carlisle, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
frogijock

Have you resolved your 51 item certificate of conformity problem? I am going through the same process and have spoken to the VCA twice with conflicting advice. I think the 52nd item merely states its a MH. The front sheet of my 51 item CoC states this and its possible this will be accepted. I haven't submitted my documentation yet as I am waiting for an 'approved' statement from the VAT registered garage that did my headlight, speedo and fog light conversion on the methods used to achieve the conversion.

John

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
MOT

HI Bill
Burdetts do any work for me on car or motorhome in Skegness, it may be worth giving them a ring to see if they can help 01754 766927 hope this is of assistance

Alan

OP
OP
frogijock
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
frogijock

Have you resolved your 51 item certificate of conformity problem? I am going through the same process and have spoken to the VCA twice with conflicting advice. I think the 52nd item merely states its a MH. The front sheet of my 51 item CoC states this and its possible this will be accepted. I haven't submitted my documentation yet as I am waiting for an 'approved' statement from the VAT registered garage that did my headlight, speedo and fog light conversion on the methods used to achieve the conversion.

John

Hi John Have an appointment with VOSA this friday, I had sent VCA a photo-copy of the CoC and they said it was no good as it had to be an original with 52 points (the 52nd point was added in 2012 and cannot be retro added) so means the VOSA appointment. Hopefully all will be ok. As far as I can make out all vehicles imported that are older than June (I think) 2012 will have to go through VOSA.
Good luck with your attempts, I have felt like killing the lot of them as I have been like you and had conflicting advice and been chased from one department to another.
Bill

OP
OP
frogijock
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
HI Bill
Burdetts do any work for me on car or motorhome in Skegness, it may be worth giving them a ring to see if they can help 01754 766927 hope this is of assistance

Alan

Hi Alan, Thanks for the info found the local garage could do the lights (done) and a place in Grt Yarmouth Cluster Repairs who have done the speedo.
Thanks Bill

Jun 30, 2011
Carlisle, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For those of you undertaking this process please be aware of the following VCA requirement.

Original, detailed, garage invoice / statement:

This must come from a garage that is, at least, one of the following: an MOT test station / a VAT registered garage / a garage registered with Companies House.
The statement must be on full garage headed paper, giving their full contact details including their MOT test station number / VAT number and registered address / Companies House number and registered address. It needs to quote the 17 digit vehicle chassis (VIN) number, be dated and make clear the garage has worked on, or inspected the vehicle.
The garage details will be checked so please make sure that the garage evidence clearly sets out the address they are registered to. For example, in some cases a garage will have their business registered at another address for VAT, if this is the case their registered address must also be clearly stated on their headed paper.

The invoice must clearly describe the changes made to the vehicle; we need to know what has been changed and how this change meets UK compliance. A statement such as “changed headlights” is not sufficient evidence that, for
example, the original vehicle headlights have been removed and new, full UK specification left-dipping headlights have been fitted to the vehicle. Where an item is fitted, as standard, suitable for the United Kingdom the garage evidence must make clear that the item is standard and how it is standard (e.g. the vehicle has rear-fog lights fitted as standard on both the rear left and right of the vehicle).
Please note that we do not accept an MOT certificate or photographs of the changes. To help prevent an application being delayed we would suggest that all garage evidence is written in English.

I'm still going through the process, wish me luck!

John

OP
OP
frogijock
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Hi John just passed the VOSA test according to the engineer who tested our van all vehicles being imported will now have to go thru this test it,s something the UK have thought up it does not apply in the rest of the EU so now just got get it registered will just have to see what new rules they dream up. Going there Monday weather permitting. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back