Importing Motorhome from EU (Before 31/12/2020) (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
The company I bought it from in Mülheim an der Ruhr, was not up to it, and there has been several problems, which I won't get into here and now.
That's interesting Machbuster. Was it Hymer-Zentrum B1 Donau, by any chance? We bought a new Hymer from them some 5 years ago and had a couple of anxious moments. 😳

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
If travelling restrictions are off and no one records the mileage when you enter the UK how will anyone know?. Its the opposite of the usual thing where people are clocking vehicles to reduce the mileage!
A story. Years ago I had to speak to a colleague whose job was servicing equipment on customers premises, (freezers), I called at his home one sunny evening where he was on the drive with the works van bonnet up. While chatting I noticed a motor running and the flexible drive running into the engine space, so asked what it was doing? He answered 'adding miles to the speedo' apparently it was something all the engineers did so they could claim higher mileage allowance. He seemed surprised that us reps didn't!

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Just a thought.
Could you bring it over legally ( as if over here for a holiday ) as a temporary import, and run it on the German plates for a while until you had clocked up the required milage, and only then import it permanently and register it on British plates ?
May be a stupid idea, may be not.
Worth checking I suppose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Not the best of ideas, but can see where your coming from, I was a Cop for 39 years (water under the bridge now) so I ‘m really inclined to sticking with the Rules😁

Apr 14, 2013
Tranmere Park
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
I appreciate this subject has been discussed before, but I only really have one issue (at the moment) that I have spotted and would welcome your help on.

Situation is I have found a Hymer I would like to buy in Germany, it is just over 6 months old and has had the German VAT paid on it by the first owner and the mileage on it is currently 3850 Km, which will obviously go up by the time it arrives in the UK (before 31/12/20, subject to Covid/travelling restrictions)

Looking at the GOV UK website IMPORTING VEHICLES INTO THE UK, it it says:
If you imported the vehicle from the EU
VAT is usually only charged on vehicles that are new. A vehicle is new if either:

• it’s been driven less than 6,000km (about 3,728 miles)
  • it’s been in use for no more than 6 months
AND

Looking at GOV UK website Guidance New means of transport (VAT Notice 728)
It says:

2.2 When a means of transport is not new

A motorised land vehicle is not new when more than 6 months have elapsed since the date of its first entry into service (see paragraph 2.3) and when it has travelled under its own power for more than 6,000 kilometres since its first entry into service.

The crucial difference between the two being "either/and" for me, as in the second statement I'm okay, as the vehicle is over 6 months old, but if its "and" then HMRC are presumably going to regard it as a 'new vehicle' even though the first owner ( a Baker, not a motorhome dealer) has already paid the German VAT

Anyone have any previous experience on this, as its keeping me awake and I'm thinking I might have to drive round it Germany for another 2150km, before I go through the tunnel and all before 31st December !
I don’t know if this regulation still applies, and as a comment slightly off your main question, but when I imported my Hymer from Germany some years ago,it was the case for Ambulances and Motorhomes that you didn’t need any of the normal ‘type approval’ paperwork to import them, you could just take the original German Registration Document to the nearest DVLA office in the U.K. and they would issue a U.K. Reg Doc. It was also the case that you could get temporary (Red) German Number plates which were valid for 5 days to cover the journey back, and arrange with a U.K. Insurance Co to provide cover on the Chassis No during the import! Best of luck!

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
German ‘Temporary plates’ are only valid for 5 days and do not include insurance, you would not want these, as they are only intended for use within Germany.
On the other hand ‘German Export Plates’, which are valid for the whole of the EU and include minimum 3rd party insurance can be had for a period of a month validity, or even longer. It was these plates that I obtained to collect my Hymer on the 3rd of this month and they are indeed valid until 1/1/21 and I suspect that due to Brexit, they would no longer be valid in the UK in any event 04ABD329-E550-4D48-9006-67614C75AA35.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just a thought.
Could you bring it over legally ( as if over here for a holiday ) as a temporary import, and run it on the German plates for a while until you had clocked up the required milage, and only then import it permanently and register it on British plates ?
May be a stupid idea, may be not.
Worth checking I suppose.
Ilegal for a UK resident to drive a vehicle registered in another country.
I don’t know if this regulation still applies, and as a comment slightly off your main question, but when I imported my Hymer from Germany some years ago,it was the case for Ambulances and Motorhomes that you didn’t need any of the normal ‘type approval’ paperwork to import them, you could just take the original German Registration Document to the nearest DVLA office in the U.K. and they would issue a U.K. Reg Doc. It was also the case that you could get temporary (Red) German Number plates which were valid for 5 days to cover the journey back, and arrange with a U.K. Insurance Co to provide cover on the Chassis No during the import! Best of luck!
Used to be the case until 2012 can't do it anymore.

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
As this was my original post and I have had some very helpful guidance from here on the way, I thought I’d just update where I am.
So, briefly, picked up from Germany on ‘Export Plates’ when the Hymer was over 6 months old, drove to the tunnel the ‘long way round’ to take me over 6k km, submitted the NOVA, had reply from HMRC very quickly, no tax to pay, had a pre arranged appointment with a garage that does MOT’s for a vehicle inspection to check the lights and my Lockwood MPH speedo insert and, currently, sent the VCA application off and awaiting the VCA certificate, before I can submit the DVLA application for registration.
I have not been able to get UK Insurance cover, prior to having a UK registration number, consequently still on the German export plates/insurance, which is a worry, as only 3rd party, but then, it has only moved 30 miles for the vehicle inspection, so far, but will be driving a lot further this week, as booked in with Vanbitz this week for a Growler alarm and tracker, as will also be needed before I can get Insurance cover.
I think, on reflection and with hindsight I’d have gone for a second hand UK one, although would have had to pay more to get the equivalent to what I have now.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I've not seen anything official yet, but it has been mentioned that as of the 1st January they will no longer be allowing RHD vehicles to be imported into Spain, I wonder if this is a problem for Geoff getting his into Poland if its RHD. 🤔 Bob.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As this was my original post and I have had some very helpful guidance from here on the way, I thought I’d just update where I am.
So, briefly, picked up from Germany on ‘Export Plates’ when the Hymer was over 6 months old, drove to the tunnel the ‘long way round’ to take me over 6k km, submitted the NOVA, had reply from HMRC very quickly, no tax to pay, had a pre arranged appointment with a garage that does MOT’s for a vehicle inspection to check the lights and my Lockwood MPH speedo insert and, currently, sent the VCA application off and awaiting the VCA certificate, before I can submit the DVLA application for registration.
I have not been able to get UK Insurance cover, prior to having a UK registration number, consequently still on the German export plates/insurance, which is a worry, as only 3rd party, but then, it has only moved 30 miles for the vehicle inspection, so far, but will be driving a lot further this week, as booked in with Vanbitz this week for a Growler alarm and tracker, as will also be needed before I can get Insurance cover.
I think, on reflection and with hindsight I’d have gone for a second hand UK one, although would have had to pay more to get the equivalent to what I have now.
Always got full comp insurance on the vin number once on UK soil. Bought 3 vans in Belgium dealer has driven it to the port for us with us following in his car.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Had same experience in 2018 could not get insurance on VIN although DVLA were very quick and had registration back in ten days.
Well done you’re nearly there👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👍

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I tried several companies, but to be fair, not Saga. I'd like to stay with Comfort, my previous insurer, so will wait for DVLA to come through, its likely to be well past 1st Jan, van will be parked off road, out of sight at home, uninsured, but at least will be protected by a decent alarm and I think I will put it up on blocks and stash the wheels away.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Did you try Safeguard? They insured us fully comp. on the VIN, when we imported,3 years ago.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Did you try Safeguard? They insured us fully comp. on the VIN, when we imported,3 years ago.
They have got very expensive I did the same but they quoted well over £800 this year got it for just over £400 with LV=👍😊

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Im waiting for a call back from Safeguard now, regarding confirmation if they will insure on the VIN, its £300 more than Comfort and £300 excess on the windscreen, but if I can get cover today I guess it will be worth it!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Im waiting for a call back from Safeguard now, regarding confirmation if they will insure on the VIN, its £300 more than Comfort and £300 excess on the windscreen, but if I can get cover today I guess it will be worth it!
Current van I used Safeguard for importing then cancelled once registered and went back to Comfort.
The only problem with Safeguard they would not insure it for theft until alarm fitted, so I slept in the van on the drive for a few days until my alarm man turned up.

Last edited:
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
They have got very expensive I did the same but they quoted well over £800 this year got it for just over £400 with LV=👍😊
Yes, I stayed with Safeguard for the first year. I was happy to do that because they'd insured me on the VIN. I suppose it's always possible to cancel during the cooling off period, if you get your registration through by then.
We're with Saga now. We went with them on a 3-year deal because they were reasonable and provide a free green card for Morocco. Couldn't use it last winter, and we certainly will not, this winter. Fingers crossed for next year 🤞.

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Tried Saga this morning, won't cover due to MoHo value, just under £100k.

Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Hi Bellabee, yes it was. I had previously had problems with a dealer in the UK, supposedly the largest mo-ho dealer, so I wished to make sure it was a proper dealer this time, but sadly it wasn't.

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
I'm with Advance fully comp on a 2016 MH current value K£45. Previously with Scenic, a division of Swinton. They insured me on VIN only for an unregistered new import from Germany in 2016. I use MB&G for my extended warranty and recovery. Less than £300 in both cases

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I’m currently waiting for my certification from the VCA, before applying for DVLA registration, it’s been over 3 weeks so far, then it will be a who knows how long wait for the DVLA🤯
Just as well we are locked down, otherwise I’d wanting to get out on the road!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Slow for the VCA normally only takes a week, DVLA 4 weeks in good times, at least you are not in a hurry.
To be fair Lenny the VCA quote 10 working days and were the same back in 2019. And any issue they write back after 10 days and you resubmit and you are back of the queue. I had downloaded an aleged out of date form. The in date one had no difference for my application however they just played jobsworth. It was 4 weeks for me.

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
As you say Lenny, there’s no hurry, given current circumstance, I’m guessing most of them are working from home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back