LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we imported our Rapido, we got the dealer to take the van to Zebrugge, then on the ferry to Hull. Then insured it on the vin for the 35 miles Home. Ended up stopping with them (AIB) and have been with them for 3 years with no problems:)
Our current van we imported in March, ABI gave me a price but when they realised was a personal import they doubled the price.

When ringing around recently for insurance to import a PVC we found that LV Insurance (08002028460) would insure fully comp. on VIN from the dealer in Germany back to UK for 30 days :xThumb: & the other one was NFU Louth branch () but only 14 days cover.
I used NFU for the last van, this year they would only insure from the UK port and only if you were a current customer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I used NFU for the last van, this year they would only insure from the UK port and only if you were a current customer.
When we asked Louth branch in November we were told that didn't have to be an existing customer if motorhome value under 75k but did if higher value & cover was definitely from point of pick up (Germany in our case) - shows how the policies keep changing so essential to ring around & check.
Export plates with insurance vary too - sometimes fully comp. cover is on offer & at others only third party.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When we asked Louth branch in November we were told that didn't have to be an existing customer if motorhome value under 75k but did if higher value & cover was definitely from point of pick up (Germany in our case) - shows how the policies keep changing so essential to ring around & check.
Export plates with insurance vary too - sometimes fully comp. cover is on offer & at others only third party.
I never realised that different branches gave different answers I rang the local branch, when I did it on the last van I rang the call centre number and got insurance once on UK soil.

Sounds like it's worth ringing ½ doz branches.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I never realised that different branches gave different answers I rang the local branch, when I did it on the last van I rang the call centre number and got insurance once on UK soil.

Sounds like it's worth ringing ½ doz branches.
Agree it's worth ringing a few but usually very long calls so we gave up after just three! Our local one couldn't help at all as never been asked before for such cover from anyone in deepest Somerset :giggle: We picked NFU Louth as well as the central number due to others having used them on here previously.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
NFU branches are independently owned franchises, however the insurance products are common to them all. I can only imagine that the different answers come about due to different levels of experience and conpetance.

I’d ask for written confirmation that cover is included from the European dealer rather than UK port as this could be an expensive misunderstanding.

I was advised by Louth that their cover is only from UK port and has been like that for many years.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Right chaps, here's the lowdown as of my phone calls thimorning, this is based on a Carthago Chic S Plus LHD auto on a Merc chassis, 2010, value £70K.

Safeguard, not until in UK.
Scenic, not until on UK plates
LV, won't insure on a Mercedes chassis!!!
Aplan, no.
.......now it gets better!

NFU ( Louth office) Yes, covered from the dealer in France, drive to Calais, then in UK to MOT garage, then onwards, for 14 days. ( I'm not an existing customer) £766 for annual cover, revisited if not registered by DVLA in 14 days but not a problem. Doesn't include breakdown. I do have this in writing from NFU that I am covered from the dealership in France.

Coversure ( Dover office), Yes, will cover from the dealer, but unable to quote a price until I have the VIN number, which I've asked the dealer for.

Obviously, any policy can be cancelled once it's served it purpose and the van is on UK plates,;) and go back to Comfort ( who don't do import for individuals)

So there you are, thank you @Wombles for the heads up, we will now leave Malaga tomorrow for a drive up to Paris for Tuesday to seal the deal!!!

One strange thing though, the dealer has said that after a bank transfer he has to wait 8 days before 'releasing' the vehicle, never heard of that one! But to his credit, he has facilities at the dealership and has said we can stay there(y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That’s great news Dave
Are NFU confirming the extent of cover by Email ?

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Right chaps, here's the lowdown as of my phone calls thimorning, this is based on a Carthago Chic S Plus LHD auto on a Merc chassis, 2010, value £70K.

Safeguard, not until in UK.
Scenic, not until on UK plates
LV, won't insure on a Mercedes chassis!!!
Aplan, no.
.......now it gets better!

NFU ( Louth office) Yes, covered from the dealer in France, drive to Calais, then in UK to MOT garage, then onwards, for 14 days. ( I'm not an existing customer) £766 for annual cover, revisited if not registered by DVLA in 14 days but not a problem. Doesn't include breakdown. I do have this in writing from NFU that I am covered from the dealership in France.

Coversure ( Dover office), Yes, will cover from the dealer, but unable to quote a price until I have the VIN number, which I've asked the dealer for.

Obviously, any policy can be cancelled once it's served it purpose and the van is on UK plates,;) and go back to Comfort ( who don't do import for individuals)

So there you are, thank you @Wombles for the heads up, we will now leave Malaga tomorrow for a drive up to Paris for Tuesday to seal the deal!!!

One strange thing though, the dealer has said that after a bank transfer he has to wait 8 days before 'releasing' the vehicle, never heard of that one! But to his credit, he has facilities at the dealership and has said we can stay there(y)

Good Luck Dave, we hope it all works out well for you both. Hope to see you in the new year.

Rex and Janet

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Good news Dave.
Yep we did that with the last two vans.
That doesn't sound right faster payments should be within a couple of hours and if using someone like EasyFX (far better rates than a bank) if you get the money to them by 2:30pm transfer is made the same day. I'm very suspicious of things like that, had a friend who paid a dealer on the Monday and arranged to collect the van on Friday, the dealer went into adminitration on the Thursday he lost the lot.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Good news Dave.

Yep we did that with the last two vans.

That doesn't sound right faster payments should be within a couple of hours and if using someone like EasyFX (far better rates than a bank) if you get the money to them by 2:30pm transfer is made the same day. I'm very suspicious of things like that, had a friend who paid a dealer on the Monday and arranged to collect the van on Friday, the dealer went into adminitration on the Thursday he lost the lot.

I use TransferWise and have done for years, and whilst I know the transfer is fast, the 8 day thing was news to me. However, I have also just spoken to my UK garage ( Tomsett Kent) to book the MOT and sort the certificate of mutual recognition stuff, and the owner there said that he had heard of that before so not unusual. In any event, we will be in the van at his premises whilst waiting so no issues, and if there's a way of waiving that 8 day French requirement obviously we'll be off sooner. Have to be there as we are px ing our current van, and as we're FT have all our stuff with us! Good of him to offer for us to stay there ( if indeed that it the case strictly) They are a large and established dealer, so not worried!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Shame about LV but glad to hear that you are sorted with a couple of possible options (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@BreweryDave. The very best of luck with it all Dave. :xThumb:

It sounds like you've done as much as you can to ensure a smooth deal and handover.
I just hope it all goes "swimmingly" at this end for you too, and that you are not let down by DVLA.

Hope to see you and Jacqui from the spring onwards, when we get back from Spain. :xThumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock. :xsmile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Sorry Jock, no chance! As soon as she's on UK plates we'll be straight back on the tunnel and down to Beni!!! Hopefully by mid Feb all being well!!!
A good excuse for you to stop off at Benicassim, and say hello. :xwink:

Cheers,

Jock. :xsmile:

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Glad your sorted Dave hope it all goes well from here on, look forward to your arrival Feb with the new van, well pencil in a couple of tapas days.
Cheers
Ed

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes they have now. Fully Comp on the VIN plate, from pick up at French dealer, drive to Calais, and for 14 days in the UK whilst sorting the re registration.
Luvly jubly!!!

That’s great news Dave

Hope you manage to get the U.K. registration sorted out without too many hassles.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Looking good,hope all goes smoothly. (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Dave
As an aside, when you collect the vehicle you need to make sure the paperwork includes the Certificate of Conformity for both the base van and the Habitation area.
You’ll need both of these to register the van.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Dave
As an aside, when you collect the vehicle you need to make sure the paperwork includes the Certificate of Conformity for both the base van and the Habitation area.
I had difficulty getting mine for the Rapido, took them six weeks to come up with a copy, however I didn't have one for the Fiat base but managed to get it registered just with the Rapido one , was I lucky ?
Cheers
Ed

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I had difficulty getting mine for the Rapido, took them six weeks to come up with a copy, however I didn't have one for the Fiat base but managed to get it registered just with the Rapido one , was I lucky ?
Cheers
Ed
No they only require the final converters CoC now.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Wow, she is a stunner. Did they take the Burstner in part exchange?

Thank you, took some finding! And yes, px agreed, sent loads of photos and spec by email. Wasn't going all that way before I had a provisional deal in place!

Dave

Yup, the dealer has the CoC, one of the first things I asked!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back