Importing From Europe - Comprehensive Insurance? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We are looking into buying our next motorhome in the UK but if we can't get a good enough deal we will have to import one - have heard that comprehensive Europe wide insurance is possible when bringing it back to the UK (before registration) so please can anyone point us in the right direction? Please post here or PM.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Read down this thread it does have useful info and Ann from Bundesvan has posted details.
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/bundesvan.160775/
Thank you - have seen that thread :) We have already contacted Bundesvan who were friendly, professional & helpful as others have said but they can't provide just their insurance & although their charges for importing may be worthwhile on the top of the range large motorhomes (especially if buying secondhand if they can negotiate a better price for the buyer) but a lot more percentage wise on the budget new PVC that we are considering :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you contact NFU at Louth and move your insurance to them now, as an existing customer they will insure on the VIN, but they only do it for existing clients I understand. They covered me fully comp from the moment I paid the German dealer.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If you contact NFU at Louth and move your insurance to them now, as an existing customer they will insure on the VIN, but they only do it for existing clients I understand. They covered me fully comp from the moment I paid the German dealer.
Thank you - was that on a new unregistered motorhome? If so will certainly explore that option (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think they do that any more @Robert Clark has been in touch with them recently about importing.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I don't think they do that any more @Robert Clark has been in touch with them recently about importing.
As far as I am aware it's from UK point of entry
However our dealer is supplying our van with German export plates which includes 3rd part cover for 30 days

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thank you - was that on a new unregistered motorhome? If so will certainly explore that option (y)
That was on a new vehicle but it would make no difference as they cannot use the foreign plate, just the VIN. As I have said if you are a current client they will do it but not just passing trade, as it takes some arranging with their underwriter.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As far as I am aware it's from UK point of entry
However our dealer is supplying our van with German export plates which includes 3rd part cover for 30 days
They did that for me Robert and you need plates to look something like it, but I would not bet my farm on third party. Me, risk averse at my age!

Sep 29, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
2016 Hymer, Adria
Safeguard insured my import just on the VIN, including the first journey from Germany, fully comprehensive, but with a requirement to notify the UK reg No. within 30 days.

The premium was quite high.... be prepared to haggle on the phone!

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Please remember that a uk resident cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle in the UK. The DVLA recommend getting the vehicle transported from the port of entry to your uk address.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Please remember that a uk resident cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle in the UK. The DVLA recommend getting the vehicle transported from the port of entry to your uk address.

But if you read the rules, you can drive it to a garage for VCA and home. So you get off Chunnel or whatever to a pre-booked inspection at your favourite conforming garage and then back home. Officer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Not correct a UK resident can not drive a foreign registered vehicle in the uk, we are talking about an unregistered vehicle.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We are looking into buying our next motorhome in the UK but if we can't get a good enough deal we will have to import one - have heard that comprehensive Europe wide insurance is possible when bringing it back to the UK (before registration) so please can anyone point us in the right direction? Please post here or PM.

Good stuff, what PVC have you decided on?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If the insurance company(safeguard) say you can drive home fully comp when you hit uk then surely that's correct.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yes agree with Lenny, as soon as you are back on uk soil you are fully covered for the drive home.
So you get hit in your newly acquired chunk of metal on the other side of the channel with 3rd party. Ins co says no fault.
Explain where you get your recovery?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So you get hit in your newly acquired chunk of metal on the other side of the channel with 3rd party. Ins co says no fault.
Explain where you get your recovery?

Yes I agree, that's why one dealer drives to the port for you, for an extra fee. Most people take the chance as we did.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yes I agree, that's why one dealer drives to the port for you, for an extra fee. Most people take the chance as we did.
Your frankness is commendable, those taking this route need to manage the risk. I would not be on the road in Europe with only 3rd party, my choice.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Sorry, I should have been clearer, it's not the insurance issue that stops a uk resident from driving a vehicle displaying foreign registration plates it's the government.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for all the replies so far which we will explore. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Your frankness is commendable, those taking this route need to manage the risk. I would not be on the road in Europe with only 3rd party, my choice.

For me it isn't europe that is the problem but the UK. Horrendous standards of driving. Most younger people have no idea that older vehicles don't/cannot accelerate like modern ones.
Also many of us here have no choice as tpf&t is the maximum you can obtain on older vehicles not owned from new.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I drove our new van (very carefully) on German export plates to Calais Tunnel on the Third Party insurance - I could not get comprehensive insurance on export plates sorted out.
Once at Folkestone it was insured fully comp by safeguard on the VIN No and I drove it home to Scotland on the export plates and got the UK registration paperwork sorted out in the UK.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
I drove our new van (very carefully) on German export plates to Calais Tunnel on the Third Party insurance - I could not get comprehensive insurance on export plates sorted out.
Once at Folkestone it was insured fully comp by safeguard on the VIN No and I drove it home to Scotland on the export plates and got the UK registration paperwork sorted out in the UK.

If it is against the law for you to drive it in the UK with foreign, albeit export, plates, how is the insurance still valid?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
safeguard were fully aware of the import arrangements and confirmed the van was covered on Export plates in the UK

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
If it is against the law for you to drive it in the UK with foreign, albeit export, plates, how is the insurance still valid?
It's not against the law. You have a given time to get the vehicle registered.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
It's not against the law. You have a given time to get the vehicle registered.

From booklet INF106 How to Import a Vehicle into the United Kingdom, published by the government.
"A UK resident must not drive a vehicle displaying foreign registration number plates in the UK.
To avoid difficulties we advise you to transport, rather than drive your vehicle from the port to your home or its first destination, and keep the vehicle off the road until it has been registered, taxed and insured."

I went through all this when I imported earlier this year.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
From booklet INF106 How to Import a Vehicle into the United Kingdom, published by the government.
"A UK resident must not drive a vehicle displaying foreign registration number plates in the UK.
To avoid difficulties we advise you to transport, rather than drive your vehicle from the port to your home or its first destination, and keep the vehicle off the road until it has been registered, taxed and insured."

I went through all this when I imported earlier this year.
Export plates are specifically designed for this very purpose.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
It's only what is in the DVLA information. DVLA dont make laws.
Can anyone find the actual LAW that prohibits this, making it an offence?
Many many ex pats retain uk residency, and drive their foreign reg vehicles when returning to the uk for visits.
I stand to be corrected if there's an actual law or statute?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back