Importing Burstner New Argos from Germany (1 Viewer)

Andrew Rchardson

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Next week I am collecting a new Argos it will be collect on tempory plates I am happy with most of the process but have a few queries.

I have arranged at my local Fiat dealer to have left dipping lights fitted, it has two rear fog lights fitted. I have ordered a speedo template from Lockwood's.

With the VCA some posts suggest VCA don't need an MOT test but the description of the work done must be worded correctly. Other posts suggest the vehicle has to have an MOT, is that a special Mot station or the garage I normally get my MOT done.I also have a couple of truck MOT stations locally

With paying for VAT in the UK, I think I need to pay via Nova, is this the same site I do my online income tax returns.

I was was going to use V55/5 to tax and register the vehicle

Thanks
Andrew

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i took mine to an MOT center ,but i was told that was not nessesary as a correctly worded document from a VAT registered garage will suffice , i also found google translate very usefull when it came to filling in the V5 ,yes you pay via nova ,it is the same site and is an additional online option.

I did the lights on my A class myself and the MPH insert ,it was not difficult

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Like @laird of Dunstan, we did the lights and speedo insert ourselves. We're not particularly 'handy', but it was easy, and didn't take long.
We didn't use an MOT garage, just a VAT registered one. We drafted the letter to the VCA, and the garage copied it onto their letter-headed paper and signed it.
A word of caution - check the British VAT calculation carefully. They got ours wrong by about £1,500 - in their favour, of course! There was no problem in getting it refunded, though.
Enjoy your new van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We only saved about £18,000. The exchange rate can make a big difference, but even at today's exchange rates, you would make a considerable saving.
Have a look at . to get an idea of prices.

Reactions: Mel
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We got a really good deal and the exchange rate was 140 to £ at the time so it's worth watching it to time your purchase.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Rchardson

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your help everybody, I wish that I had posted on here earlier. I am quite handy myself and can do a lot of jobs myself. One of the reasons it needs to go into Fiat is it needs to go on there computer and get the LED day-time running lights turned on.

The dealer I have been using is near Düsseldorf airport, and less than two hours from Rotterdam.

It's a bit complicated to say exactly the savings I have made, as the spec of the vehicle is far higher than I would bought in the UK. I would that like for like ŵith all things considered I must of saved £15 - 20k.

I don't suppose anybody could e-mail they sent to VCA , it's obviosly worked for you.

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi Andrew, PM your email address and I'll forward a copy of a letter that I used from someone else on this forum. It's worked twice so must be alright.
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've sent you a copy of the letter I used for the VCA via a PM.

If you use different styles of headlamps with either style of DLR's either will work without a visit to a dealer but if they are the ones the vehicle is not designed for a warning light will come up on the dash, I don't think it is possible to re-program this. Most people just swap the lights back after the vehicle has been inspected. Only takes five mins to swap a headlamp only 2 screws much easier than the older X250's.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We imported a new Hymer Exsis last year and save around £30k so well worth doing.
I think you are being a bit optimistic and comparing the price you paid to the UK list price instead of the best price you could have got in the UK.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Lenny HB Not really paid £49k a British comparison was around £80,
Ithink you would agree a good deal?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Andrew, PM your email address and I'll forward a copy of a letter that I used from someone else on this forum. It's worked twice so must be alright.
Andy

Great to see our letter being used again:)

We found it very hard to quantify exactly how much we saved when we imported.

However ,we struggled to get any real discount from UK dealers on a new order - they were willing to offer discounts against the extras on stock vans but nothing on the basic price of the van.

Our savings on a van (in stock at a Belgian dealer) against uk list were similar to @Speve

Even if we could have got 10-15% in the UK (unlikely as the dealers were not keen!) we still saved a huge amount more and got exactly the van we were looking for within 3 weeks rather than 3 months +.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Rchardson

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have just been going through Form V335/5 which is the notes about filling in the V55-5. I been looking at V5 for my old Swift Konticki which is on the same chassis, says the make is Fiat then the Ducato model and engine size. It is down as a private hgv, and is a motor caravan. When I look at the Certificate of Conformity from the dealer, it makes no mention Fiat,but does mention details of the engine under a FPT heading. Should with changes since coc coming in is the vehicle Burstner rather than Fiat

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If it is an A Class you can get away with putting the converters name, put mine down as Hymer if a coachbuilt normally registered as a Fiat.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We put ours down as 'Fiat.'

OP
OP
A

Andrew Rchardson

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have cooledted my motorhomes last week I have paid th Vat, filled in the the VCA form and sent it off. The next stage is registering it and filling in the V55/5, when I looking at the reg document for my old Swift Kontiki which was on the same chassis it was two axle, I was going to put 3 axle the license call was private HGV any thoughts anybody ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back