Importing a van from Germany...is it that difficult (2 Viewers)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And the savings that can be made make up for the little stress. If it was easy, we would all be doing it......
It is very easy certainly not stressful. I've only brought 2 Motorhomes both I've imported myself.
Seeing all the posts on this forum with delivery & deposit & after sales problems with UK dealers, I would say it is far less stressful than buying in the UK.
When we paid the deposit on the current van my dealer said we will keep the van for up to 3 months if you haven't sold you van when the new one comes in, if you have still not sold it we will put the new van into our stock, can't see a British dealer doing that.
Also both vans were at the dealers a few weeks ahead of the delivery date.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We imported our current van from Germany in October/November last year...and p/xed our previous one with the dealer we bought it from.

We've not this before...the previous van was imported for us by Bundesvan...superb service by the way.

The German end of the import was completely efficient and hassle free ....everything that was promised happened with no date slippage or reminders needed.

Sadly what appeared to be a straightforward process for importing /registering the van here turned into a saga taking over two months due to breathtaking incompetence at the VCA , HMRC and DVLA.

The VCA initially rejected our "proof" that the lights/speedo/rear fog light were all to UK spec...when I rang them to ask why they reread the documentation I'd provided and agreed it was fine after all...

The HMRC "lost" the BACS payment I made for the VAT [paid into the A/C they'd quoted] for nearly 2 weeks....eventually they found it....no apology and they clearly didn't believe it had been sent.

The DVLA eventually returned the UK reg document....sadly they'd copied the VIN no off the COC document and our application wrongly so we had to return that...eventually came through correctly in January.

Having said all this we are very pleased with the result and would do it again albeit with the expectation that the process would take longer than expected.

If anyone is looking for a La Strada or Westfalia conversion I'd recommend
http://www.autohaus-scholz.com/ without hesitation...particularly if you have a similar LHD van to p/ex.

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
After reading this thread I'm a little confused.

I want to buy a 7 year old 4.5ookg Hymer from a private individual from Germany and import it into the UK.

Can anyone confirm the process I need to follow;

1) I need to ensure I get Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and registration document for the vehicle when I pay for the vehicle.

2) I can get the vehicle insure with just the VIN so I can drive it back to the UK.

3) Once back in the UK I need to get Headlamps, Speedo & Fog lamps changed to UK specs. I will need proof/evidence and this should be a detailed receipt/letter from a garage (must this be an MOT garage?)

4) Because I have a COC I can then print off a Application for Commission Notice / Mutual Recognition - MOTORHOMES from the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) website. Fill it in, attach the evidence the headlamps, speedo & fog light are UK spec, pay them £100 and send the form off Recorded Delivery.

5) The VCA will then issue me with a certificate

6) I then have to get a Government Gateway number which will allow me to use the HMRC's Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) online service.

7) Once I have notified HMRC I can then fill in the Application for first vehicle tax and registration of a used motor vehicle V55/5 form and send it and £55 off Recorded Delivery to Swansea.

8) I should get the Vehicle Registration certificate (V5C) back within 4 to 6 weeks and I can then get tax the vehicle and have some number plates made up.

Have I missed anything out or got anything wrong?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
When I brought in my last motor the garage who MOT'd it checked I had done the headlights , speedo and Hi viz rear then gave me a signed letterhead describing what had done and charged NOTHING. Sent to VRA and agreed in a week.(y)

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Have I missed anything out or got anything wrong?

Think I did. 8) should read

8) I should get the Vehicle Registration certificate (V5C) back within 4 to 6 weeks and I can thenhave somenumber platesmade up, get the insurance sorted, get an MOT and tax the vehicle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Do the NOVA application ASAP there is a 4 - 5 delay between NOVA & DVLA computers, send your NOVA ref number with your DVLA application.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I read in the What motorhome insurance article that some insurers will refuse to insure anything not imported by a dealer in the Uk or anything sold by a NON UK dealer, Grey imports????? why would this be as the dealer is buying or I am buying what do they do that is special or just protecting the status Quo.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Being the arch cynic that I am, I would suspect the rock band was the correct answer?

As for RHD vs LHD. I found the LHD 30+ft Yank was easier to drive through France than the car and twin axle caravan!

Pete

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I read in the What motorhome insurance article that some insurers will refuse to insure anything not imported by a dealer in the Uk or anything sold by a NON UK dealer, Grey imports????? why would this be as the dealer is buying or I am buying what do they do that is special or just protecting the status Quo.
Caravan Guard will not insure personal import.
If brought in the EU can not be a grey import as the EU is a single market place.

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
We imported a 1996 Hymer in Febuary 2015, my thoughts on the process.

The German habitation checks and bi annual Tuv (mot)seem to be more comprehensive than ours so it seems to me there is a fair chance a Motorhome from Germany will be in good condition.

The export number plates with third party insurance are available from the local office in a few hours but unless you speak the language try and get the seller/dealer to help you with this.

As mentioned before the call Center staff that the insurance companies employ are in our experience clueless idiots who have limited knowledge of the product that are selling. A twat from Saga took all our details and offered to insure our m/h on a vin no as soon as we were in the UK at a reasonable price, when back we called to activate the policy only to be told by a different person that they require a current mot ! Other companies would not insure on a vin, but the Caravan and Camping club came to our rescue.

The Mot guy was very helpful phoning VOSA to get the facts before the actual test, he was happy with beam benders to give a flat spread of light, he said vosa were quite relaxed about a kmh speedo, he never mentioned the high vis rear light.

Off went the Mot together with our registration forms to the Dvla, we wanted a personal plate but that was just a bit too tricky for the poor loves so to keep it nice and easy for them we left that till another day, paperwork and allocated number plate was returned to us in about a week.

All in all it was pretty easy for us, we would happily do it again, and one last tip you only need a CoC if the imported vehicle is 2004 or newer.

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
The German habitation checks and bi annual Tuv (mot)seem to be more comprehensive than ours so it seems to me there is a fair chance a Motorhome from Germany will be in good condition.

How did you go about getting a Habitation check in Germany?

The export number plates with third party insurance are available from the local office in a few hours but unless you speak the language try and get the seller/dealer to help you with this.

Do you have to get export number plates?

The Mot guy was very helpful phoning VOSA to get the facts before the actual test, he was happy with beam benders to give a flat spread of light, he said vosa were quite relaxed about a kmh speedo, he never mentioned the high vis rear light.

I thought the VCA wouldn't accept beam benders.

How do you get on a future MOTs with beam benders?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
How did you go about getting a Habitation check in Germany?
If it's a Hymer you don't need a habitation check for the warranty only a damp check we pay €60 in Belgium.

Do you have to get export number plates?
Buying in Germany, yes & 3rd party insurance.

I thought the VCA wouldn't accept beam benders.

How do you get on a future MOTs with beam benders?
Beam benders are not acceptable to the VCA but they are for an MOT.
For the VCA the speedo must have mph and must be visable in the dark i.e. with dash lights on.

Quote from VCA guidelines:-
Original European Certificate of Conformity (with 51 or 52 numbered items)
Garage evidence that the vehicle meets the United Kingdom national requirements (UK
specification headlights, dual marked speedometer, suitable rear fog-light(s))

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
If it's a Hymer you don't need a habitation check for the warranty only a damp check we pay €60 in Belgium.

I thought the habitation check included a damp check and was part of the buying process in that if there was damp you'd either walk away or negotiate a lower price

If Buying in Germany, yes & 3rd party insurance.

Will UK insurance companies cover a vehicle on German export plates or do you need to arange insurance locally in Germany?

Beam benders are not acceptable to the VCA but they are for an MOT.

So it's just a question of getting a friedly MOT garage to write for the VCA that the lights are okay? (even though they are LHD with beam benders)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Posted this on the recent Importing thread, adding it here too!
You have a plate on retention which you want to assign to your imported new motorhome. The DVLA have said fine, send in the retention document with the new import registration V55 etc and it will be assigned. I get my insurance on the plate and send that in with the application, and other paperwork. You are insured for that registration, you have the road fund tax cheques etc with the DVLA and kept copies as proof of application. Can you then drive the MH with the cherished plate, because you already have the plates, just awaiting the V5 in the post?
When I assign my plates between cars I normally do just that. Seems logical.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I thought the habitation check included a damp check and was part of the buying process in that if there was damp you'd either walk away or negotiate a lower price
Nope they are seperate, our Belguim dealer only recommends a habitation check at 5 years, in Germany the gas system has to be checked every 2 years and a certificate issued.

Will UK insurance companies cover a vehicle on German export plates or do you need to arange insurance locally in Germany?
No UK companies will cover on a VIN plate once on UK soil, the German export insurance I believe will cover all EU countries however it is only 3 rd party, there are some dealers who will arrange full comp.

[QOUTE]
So it's just a question of getting a friedly MOT garage to write for the VCA that the lights are okay? (even though they are LHD with beam benders)[/QUOTE]

Bear in mind they have to make a written statement stating the headlamps have been changed or incorporate the facility to change the beam.

You say you are looking at a Hymer but don't say what model, if it is an A Class it will have Hella Projector headlamps which are adjustable.

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
No UK companies will cover on a VIN plate once on UK soil,

Not quite correct, the Caravan and Camping club insured our imported m/h on a vin plate in periods of 14 days to allow us time to get it Mot'd and complete the registration process, it's not full road risks, as other than taking it for its test you can't use it on the road without a number plate, but at least if it disappeared off the drive it's covered.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Not quite correct, the Caravan and Camping club insured our imported m/h on a vin plate in periods of 14 days to allow us time to get it Mot'd and complete the registration process, it's not full road risks, as other than taking it for its test you can't use it on the road without a number plate, but at least if it disappeared off the drive it's covered.
You misread my post, if you look at the question I was saying No to the question will a UK insurer insure a vehicle on German plates.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

There are quite a few UK insurers that will cover on VIN, indeed NFU are covering mine on collection in Germany, fully comp, for up to 30 days, on he VIN!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There are quite a few UK insurers that will cover on VIN, indeed NFU are covering mine on collection in Germany, fully comp, for up to 30 days, on he VIN!
I imported my van last year and used NFU, they would only cover it on a VIN once on UK soil.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I imported my van last year and used NFU, they would only cover it on a VIN once on UK soil.
I have found that different NFU branches have different policies, I could not get my RV insured in Cornwall but did in Louth. They have offered to Fully Comp insure on the VIN from collection in Germany. So worth shopping around I think.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have found that different NFU branches have different policies, I could not get my RV insured in Cornwall but did in Louth. They have offered to Fully Comp insure on the VIN from collection in Germany. So worth shopping around I think.
Interesting, I just did mine on the phone via their call centre, I'll log that in memory for the next van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back