Reddave999

Free Member
Mar 24, 2018
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
As anyone of you imported a brand new MH from Germany? I have been in touch with a dealership in Germany who is happy to sell me right hand drive version of either a Possl or a Globecar at what seems a lot less expensive than here. I would welcome your advice or thoughts. Thanks in anticipation. Dave

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
As anyone of you imported a brand new MH from Germany? I have been in touch with a dealership in Germany who is happy to sell me right hand drive version of either a Possl or a Globecar at what seems a lot less expensive than here. I would welcome your advice or thoughts. Thanks in anticipation. Dave

That will probably be Dümo Reisemobile at Dülmen? I have spoken with Dominik there a few times. They can order you a RHD Globecar to your spec for, probably, around £5k less than over here. We were close to buying one but went for a 2nd hand 6m Hymer A class instead. The import process is relatively simple, (we imported our last Hymer from Germany), it will be even easier if you import a RHD as it will already be conforming to UK spec, speedo, lights etc. I would definitely go back there if we decided to go Globecar. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Whilst we are under EU Regs, it is a requirement that you can be sold a road legal vehicle here from anywhere in the EU, subject to a small charge - get in quick! :D

Jul 23, 2018
Funster No
I'm just going through the process and the insurance want a 'tracker' fitted before they will insure, did any of you get a tracker fitted in Germany? Who did your insurance please?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Safeguard required me to fit an alarm, but gave me 4 weeks leeway to get it fitted once I had imported my van to the UK and had it registered.
My first trip was to @eddievanbitz @cornishfarm to have my alarm fitted and insurance was happy it was book in ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Safeguard required me to fit an alarm, but gave me 4 weeks leeway to get it fitted once I had imported my van to the UK and had it registered.
My first trip was to @eddievanbitz @cornishfarm to have my alarm fitted and insurance was happy it was book in ;)
Just double check that insurance will cover it for theft during the 'no alarm' period as they may be happy to cover it for accidents and so you can drive it but some stipulate NO theft cover until you have the alarm/tracker installed, I know that Safeguard does - we had the dealer get the local place in to do it for us as it was a similar price to what we'd pay round here and saved us the hassle of blocking the camper in on the drive until it could be done.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Makes much better finacial sence to buy a LHD, not only will it be €1500 cheaper but when you change vans you can sell or trade a LHD in any country with a RHD you can only sell it in the UK. Also trade in prices are generally much better on the continent.

I'm just going through the process and the insurance want a 'tracker' fitted before they will insure, did any of you get a tracker fitted in Germany? Who did your insurance please?
Alarms & Trackers need to be UK fitted as insurance companies only accept Thatcham approved ones.

I have imported 3 Hymers from Belgium, first one was RHD didn't make that mistake again.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Makes much better finacial sence to buy a LHD, not only will it be €1500 cheaper but when you change vans you can sell or trade a LHD in any country with a RHD you can only sell it in the UK. Also trade in prices are generally much better on the continent.

Interested in your informed perspective here Lenny, prior to Brexit it had been our intention to retire next April and part of the planning was to buy a new LHD van in Belgium, and to that end we're planning to go to Dusseldorf this year. Part of the rationale was that if we want to change in the future we'd be changing for another LHD so an easy trade in. Do you think there will be an issue with trade ins, CofC and warranties on European vans after March 29th next year? I appreciate the answer may just be "it depends whats decided"!

And to the usual suspects please don't turn this into a Brexit debate - I'm just interested in the practicalities and whether to stick to RHD.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don't think it will make any difference. But I do know I got 12k more on my trade in last year than UK dealers were offering, a few grang more than I could have sold the van privately for.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
@Lenny HB
Lenny, when you import do you take van for alarm to be fitted before the V5 arrives or do you need to wait some weeks for this to make van legal to drive in UK after first import on German/Belgium temp plates?

Neil

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
ok thanks

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I've imported 4 older hymers over the years , very easy to do , the only issue being that I could only obtain third party insurance on the van until it landed in the UK .
The insurance is compulsory from a German broker and is on the special export plates giving you from 2 weeks to I think 4 weeks to leave Germany.
The plates actually have a red band on the side with the date that the van must be out of Germany .
The broker is in the same place as the officials who check the van chassis number on the van against the paper work and then manufacture the new export number plate , all very efficient and makes it almost impossible to buy an illegal van , ie stolen or whatever.
Some dealers will deliver the van to the port , saving you the nervous drive through Europe whilst only on third party insurance.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
To clarify - do the German plates allow you to drive legally with UK insurance in the UK to have the alarm fitted or do you need the V5 and UK plates to have full cover in place?

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
My understanding was that if for example you bought 2 weeks insurance then you had third party cover for the whole of Europe , I drove the van on these plates to the VOSA center where it was checked and issued with a UK number , forgot to say but I also had to provide VOSA with a UK weighbridge certificate.
Worth checking with DVLA if I'm correct , things change all the time . They have a comprehensive info leaflet available online for importing a vehicle.
My UK insurance company wouldn't give me cover until the van was UK reg.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
@hymerman
Was your import LHD? What did you produce for the headlamp alignment, speedo and rear fog lamp or was it checked at the vosa centre?

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
LHD, they didn't check the headlamp or speedo , I realigned the headlights easily but never altered the speedo , dual rear fog lamp already on van. Passed a number of MOT's and never asked about speedo.
Maybe I was lucky , don't know.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
LHD, they didn't check the headlamp or speedo , I realigned the headlights easily but never altered the speedo , dual rear fog lamp already on van. Passed a number of MOT's and never asked about speedo.
Maybe I was lucky , don't know.
Speedo rule changed in 2012, you have to have a mph speedo to register but not necessary for an MOT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back