Importing a motorhome from Germany or wherever (1 Viewer)

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
I've noticed the considerably better pricing you get over on the continent. When we (eventually) get a motorhome, I think it will spend most of its time either in storage or across the channel. This means a LHD would be a better option.

Does anybody have any experience of importing a motorhome into the UK? How easy was it? Anything you need to do this side when it comes in? What about insurance if you pick it up? Lots of questions to ask ... :blush:

motoroamin

Free Member
Aug 12, 2007
North Notts
Funster No
MH
As available
Exp
Involved with Caravans and Motorhomes over 15 years
Hi Rob, I can't speak from personal experience but alot of people have done it - some of the foreign dealers like Link Removed are deliberately targetting Brit buyers, offering import 'packages'.

If you want LHD and are prepared to keep the vehicle a while then importing is a good way to go. The analogy I think of is the importing of Japanese cars - they are bought as a bargain, but then have to be sold as one later, so it's all relative in price terms.

Again, if it's LHD you're after, then you'll have much more choice over the Channel anyway.

No doubt someone with personal buying experience will be along soon......

Upvote 0

Altrac

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
Wherever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
How did you get on?

I've noticed the considerably better pricing you get over on the continent. When we (eventually) get a motorhome, I think it will spend most of its time either in storage or across the channel. This means a LHD would be a better option.

Does anybody have any experience of importing a motorhome into the UK? How easy was it? Anything you need to do this side when it comes in? What about insurance if you pick it up? Lots of questions to ask ... :blush:

Hi Rob,

Seems like I am about 8 months behind you on this topic!! How did your challenge work out here?? I am now the 'new kid on the block' and wondered if you had a success story to share with me !!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

Hi, 1st of are you buying new or 2nd hand, if new then please remember that VAT will need to be paid when bring into the UK, if 2nd hand then its real easy, if buying from a dealer they will sort out export plates and insurance to get you back into the UK, then get an mot on the chassis number, get a v5 from the DVLA, and job done, depending what you buy headlights may need changing over or not.
michael

Upvote 0

Altrac

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
Wherever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Not importing to UK!!

Hi, 1st of are you buying new or 2nd hand, if new then please remember that VAT will need to be paid when bring into the UK, if 2nd hand then its real easy, if buying from a dealer they will sort out export plates and insurance to get you back into the UK, then get an mot on the chassis number, get a v5 from the DVLA, and job done, depending what you buy headlights may need changing over or not.
michael

Hi Michael - and thanks for the reply.
Listen, wondered if you would know the answer to this one?? We want to return to Europe and purchase a m/h. Preferably a LHD on the Continent as we do not intend to return to the UK.
Would you know which country I can purchase a m/h, tax register, and insure it - but without having to residency of that country.
I have had a few replies which were very useful already on another thread - however, the more info I can gather, the better. The country of purchase is not really important, whether its Slovenia, Poland or Russia !!""??:whatthe:
All I am seeking is a country which does not require the usual residency / or ID etc etc..... Any thoughts !?

Upvote 0

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My motorhome Adria 660sp is the same price in Germany as overhere due to the strong Euro. It is in the classified section.

Kind regards

Maddie

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back