Importing a campervan from Europe (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2018
Funster No
Hi. I am thinking of importing a left hand drive van from Europe as we want to use it mainly for touring in Europe. I understand I need to change the headlights for right hand drive headlights and the speedo dial. If I buy new will this invalidate the warranty? Even if the work is done by a main (say Fiat) dealer?
Thank you for any help in this regard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On the bright side at least you won't need a MOT test until the 3rd anniversary. At that stage you might need to swap the headlights. Maybe some Funster knows chapter and verse on current MOT requirements and whether LHD headlights can be made to pass.
Beam deflectors are OK for an MOT but not acceptable for importation.

Upvote 0

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
Just a thought. The reason I preferred a LHD was that most countries drive on the left... My previous van, a Florida LT31 was LHD and I drove it around knowing exactly where the kerb was for 25 years. Roundabouts were a cinch throughout Europe.... As beam deflectors are not acceptable for Mutual Recognition Certificates, and we drive mostly abroad, converting to UK conforming seems to be a backwards step?? MOT,s were passed with beam deflectors, these were left in place in the UK and removed as needed. Could I ask, does anyone know if a switchable headlamp beam is available and at what cost? If not, reluctantly installing RH Beam would cost about?? Is it likely that beam deflectors on a newer van would less likely to get through the MOT??? Essentially I have come way back to the original post....

As I said earlier in here;

Bought a pair of these cheap pattern lights just for the importation ("borrowed" the LED ballast from the original lights for the process)
Bought a pair of these cheap pattern lights just for the importation ("borrowed" the LED ballast from the original lights for the process)
coastalmotorhomes.co.uk

Fiat Ducato Peugeot Boxer Citroen Relay Right Headlight Silver With DRL 14on
New Right Hand Drive Right Headlight With DRL Silver Housing Fits: Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer And Citroen Relay From 04.2014 Onwards Face Lift Model. Does Not Include LED Driver You Will Need To Swap This From Your Old Headlamp Or Purchase A New One.
coastalmotorhomes.co.uk
coastalmotorhomes.co.uk
I've since re-fitted the original lights to come abroad again. The UK ones will go back on just for the MoT in April.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back