Import question (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you import, say a two and a bit year old motorhome and then had a mot done in the uk because it's now 3yrs old but the speedo was still reading klm, will it pass and the mot certification be in klm...?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Replacement fascias are available from Lockwoods. Not too difficult to fit on my 2003 Sprinter base (some years ago now though). The fascias are very good and indistinguishable from the original. In my experience, it is worth pointing out to the MOT tester that the odometer still reads in Km otherwise they have a tendency to record the distance travelled as miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They just wrote kms by the side of the figure on mine.
Since April 2012 to register a imported vehicle it must have a dual marked speedo with mph & markings must be illuminated when lights are on.
Also headlamps have to be cabable of RHD dipping ( kick up to left) or flat dipping, beam benders not acceptable for registration & rear fog lamp needs to be on UK offside or central unless you have them on both sides.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Since April 2012 to register a imported vehicle it must have a dual marked speedo with mph & markings must be illuminated when lights are on.
Also headlamps have to be cabable of RHD dipping ( kick up to left) or flat dipping, beam benders not acceptable for registration & rear fog lamp needs to be on UK offside or central unless you have them on both sides.

Thanks to all replies so far....

I'm assuming the lights were done, I think I need to rephrase, assume all alterations were done but it still has the klm speedo and odometer, I guess my question is.... the mot is recorded in klm and then the speedo was changed, is that ok..?

Another thing is, does there have to be changes to somthing for the odometer to run on miles rather then klm, otherwise the miles will rack up very quickly if you see what I mean...? (n)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
If it's a Fiat base you can change the odometer from kms to miles quite easily from the buttons on the dash. Did mine some years ago so can't remember exactly how it was done but a search on Google will probably tell you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks to all replies so far....

I'm assuming the lights were done, I think I need to rephrase, assume all alterations were done but it still has the klm speedo and odometer, I guess my question is.... the mot is recorded in klm and then the speedo was changed, is that ok..?

Another thing is, does there have to be changes to somthing for the odometer to run on miles rather then klm, otherwise the miles will rack up very quickly if you see what I mean...? (n)
Yes OK for Odometer to be in km but speedo must read both mph & km. You said it was a 2½ year old vehicle you can change the odometer in the settings if it's a Fait or Merc.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you import the vehicle it has to be registered in the UK, at this point in time somebody may well insist on the speedo reading MPH, IF it get registered in KMPH it will pass subsequent MOT's, that is my experience and interpretation of construction and and use regs anyway.

I have read the MOT testers manual and it doesnt mention speed Units at all.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When you import the vehicle it has to be registered in the UK, at this point in time somebody may well insist on the speedo reading MPH, IF it get registered in KMPH it will pass subsequent MOT's, that is my experience and interpretation of construction and and use regs anyway.

I have read the MOT testers manual and it doesnt mention speed Units at all.

Martin
That's my reading of it too, looking at putting the KPH dial back in once registered, much easier to read.

Don't think those are legal as the figures have to be illuminated & light doesn't shine through black.

Jul 25, 2015
east devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer b674
Exp
since 2013
mine was imported 2 years ago and inspected and registered accordingly.

The speedo and odometer shows KM only----had 2 MOT certificates and both show mileage in KM.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Their is no reason for rejection if the speedo is marked in kph, so would be a pass

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
thanks Frazzle,interesting stuff,but not what i am looking for!
the query is about whether a LHD motorhome imported many years ago is still legal in the uk with the speedometer in kph and the original headlights with appropriate beam benders in place.
the problem is about to become more complicated as i intend bringing it to northern ireland,(which may have different rules)
Thanks for looking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back