Import of my UK Motorhome to France (1 Viewer)

Bakebeen

Free Member
Aug 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Hi Guys.

I'm new to this site, so be gentle with me ok.

I was just posting how the import of my motorhome went just in case it may help someone or I can help someone who may be doing the same after the Brexit and the fact the UK is now a third country, anyway here goes.
We imported the van in May 2021 and started the process after a couple of weeks. First port of call was the local customs which involved two visits one with the van for inspection, we were told at this point that we would be charge 10% VAT at which point I told them we had moved to France and should be tax free. After proving we were resident (a few emails and paperwork sent etc) the customs guy dropped that requirement and issued with the 846 A form. Job done, next stage. :)

Then the CT (control technique) which was booked very easily and the fact it was still on UK plates was not a problem, after an hour it was issued with a pass. Job done, Next stage :)

I used the UK insurance as I had a green card for 90 days, so I contacted Axa insurance and they had insurance ready for when the 90 days was up just in case it was going to take longer, Sorted next stage.

Photo of driving licence and passport. done :)

I already had a Certificate of conformity (Coc) as I had imported from Italy to the UK 18 years ago, so I then decided to use a local garage as they only charge 33 euros and let them submit all the paper work for me.

Then the first issue was highlighted that part of the Coc had aged poorly and could not be read, so it was rejected, we submitted a new copy, but that too was rejected with the requirement that they wanted it in French (it is in Italian), the garage phoned and emailed them telling them it was manufactured in Italy and any further Coc's would be in Italian and that it was a legal document valid in all EU countries, plus I noticed on the Ant's web site (French registration site) they even state as such and it can be provided in another language other than French.

I waited a further two weeks for a reply and in the mean time got ready to send all details to DREAL (local vehicle inspection centre) hoping they may help should they stick to thier requirement for the Coc to be in French.

Well all was ok in the end and they dropped that request and the new registration was issued, total time from customs to registration (carte gris) issued was two weeks short of the 90 days :).

Just thought someone would find the info of some help and it was a way to introduce myself to everyone.

Thanks guys.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Welcome and thank you, i'm sure someone will find the info useful đź‘Ť

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi Guys.

I'm new to this site, so be gentle with me ok.

I was just posting how the import of my motorhome went just in case it may help someone or I can help someone who may be doing the same after the Brexit and the fact the UK is now a third country, anyway here goes.
We imported the van in May 2021 and started the process after a couple of weeks. First port of call was the local customs which involved two visits one with the van for inspection, we were told at this point that we would be charge 10% VAT at which point I told them we had moved to France and should be tax free. After proving we were resident (a few emails and paperwork sent etc) the customs guy dropped that requirement and issued with the 846 A form. Job done, next stage. :)

Then the CT (control technique) which was booked very easily and the fact it was still on UK plates was not a problem, after an hour it was issued with a pass. Job done, Next stage :)

I used the UK insurance as I had a green card for 90 days, so I contacted Axa insurance and they had insurance ready for when the 90 days was up just in case it was going to take longer, Sorted next stage.

Photo of driving licence and passport. done :)

I already had a Certificate of conformity (Coc) as I had imported from Italy to the UK 18 years ago, so I then decided to use a local garage as they only charge 33 euros and let them submit all the paper work for me.

Then the first issue was highlighted that part of the Coc had aged poorly and could not be read, so it was rejected, we submitted a new copy, but that too was rejected with the requirement that they wanted it in French (it is in Italian), the garage phoned and emailed them telling them it was manufactured in Italy and any further Coc's would be in Italian and that it was a legal document valid in all EU countries, plus I noticed on the Ant's web site (French registration site) they even state as such and it can be provided in another language other than French.

I waited a further two weeks for a reply and in the mean time got ready to send all details to DREAL (local vehicle inspection centre) hoping they may help should they stick to thier requirement for the Coc to be in French.

Well all was ok in the end and they dropped that request and the new registration was issued, total time from customs to registration (carte gris) issued was two weeks short of the 90 days :).

Just thought someone would find the info of some help and it was a way to introduce myself to everyone.

Thanks guys.

“Then the first issue was highlighted that part of the Coc had aged poorly and could not be read, so it was rejected, we submitted a new copy, but that too was rejected with the requirement that they wanted it in French (it is in Italian), the garage phoned and emailed them telling them it was manufactured in Italy and any further Coc's would be in Italian and that it was a legal document valid in all EU countries, plus I noticed on the Ant's web site (French registration site) they even state as such and it can be provided in another language other than French.”

I had a similar issue in Spain, Alicante province. The COC was in German, tha was not the issue. The issue was that the COC did not have a watermark. Eventually, it was resolved.

However, if it was a problem that could not be resolved. I was told by the company who carried out the importation. They could drive the vehicle to Murcia, where they do not require a COC. It’s €100 extra.

Apparently, it’s all dependent on the local Ayuntament

OP
OP
B

Bakebeen

Free Member
Aug 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Yes it does seem that the person dealing with it makes a difference, We had a friend here in France who had to send a request to have the vehicle inspected after the Coc was in English and they wanted it in French, The local inspection office (DREAL here in France) said that was not needed and issued them with the registration document within 4 days without inspection, stating it was not required and adding that they would be of further assistance should they have any other problems.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Bakebeen - Welcome to Fun & many thanks for sharing the details of matriculating your motorhome in France Post Brexit.

Happy motorhoming 🇫🇷

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back