Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
the 1st September is looming, ferry booked Portsmouth to Caen, arriving mid afternoon. first night looking to hit a supermarket then an overnight within say an hour or two's drive. then down to La Rochelle/Ile de Re for 4-5 nights, and work back up coast to Caen leaving Sunday 18th. any assistance welcome with sites, places to stop etc. Vet close to Caen for dog on way back would be good, planning to spend last couple of days around there to look at the Normandy beaches.

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
hi Dognewf - just returned this weekend from Normandy, Britany and the Vendee coast above La Rochelle - had a great month. there are lots of threads with French sites listed but the most useful is the aires book from vicarious. we stayed at several aires that varied from free to 8 or 9 euros - some now have automatic number plate recognition barriers.
have a great trip

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
If you want to stock-up before the ferry home, try Campsite Riva Bella, ...about 200yards from a good Carrefour.
The ferry is about 1 mile away....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
I agree with MannClan, All the Aires is a must have for France.
We stayed for free at the side of Citadelle de Blaye, straight on the sea front (Google it for pictures). Nice place with historic fort and nice restaurants.
Enjoy your trip.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
There is an excellent municipal campsite in the town of Bayeux about 40 minutes drive from the ferry - walking distance of shops restaurants and the Tapestry - Camping Municipal des Bords de l'Aure,

Reactions: DBK
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Ile de re. I stayed on the aire at St Clements de Baleines last month. €20 for 48 hours including EHU, dumping and water. Great cycle tracks to Ars-en-re, Phare des Baleines & Les Portes-en-re where there is a Carrefour.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Hi there's a good Aire at La Rochelle with a park & ride ticket included in the price lovely town happy travels Rod

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I am going the same way plan on staying on the il de re.
I have stayed on the il de re before and am going back to the same campsite sunelia interlude its a large site with all the amenities right next to the beach with good cycle paths just outside the gate.
It is a acsi site but they do not give the full discount I think it cost around 20 euros a night.
The yellou site at saint aubin sur mer is a good one to stop at before your return trip about 20 mins from the port and an acsi site.

OP
OP
Dognewf

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
thanks all! will perhaps even try one of those blog things recording the trip. and take photographs. I am renowned for taking a camera for a walk, then forgetting to actually use it.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
We used the vet in Forges Les Eaux when we there in May. He was very good and spoke English. Dr Patrick, Rue De Neufchatel 76440 Tel: 0235 900505. We are going again in Sept and have just emailed him (cabinet-veterinaire-st-nicholas@wanadoo.fr) to book dogs in on our way back to Calais. There's an aire in Forges which is a short walk away. Have a good trip :smiley:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back