Impact of non stop driving on the van (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I know some of us are wandering away from the question within the thread but can't stop myself. When I worked in nurse education I had a student who bragged about working 24hrs non stop. As soon as I heard about it he was spoken to and never did it again. Would anyone on this forum want to be treated by a doctor or nurse who hadn't slept for over 24 hours? Similarly would you want to pass someone on a tricky corner driving a motorhome after having gone without sleep for 24 hours.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks everyone for getting back, seems Ducato respond well to long distance driving. Points about humans driving long distances also duly noted, food for thought, although there is something quite exciting about driving through the night and watching daylight break a further 400 or 500 miles down the road. Post retirement you know you are on borrowed time and you can't help but want to make the most of it. Anyway, appreciate the concern and would be irresponsible not to take advice on board

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
It’s a tough call when doing long distance.
Daylight you see all the scenery, but a bit more Traffic, night driving has less Traffic, you arrive at your next stop and get the full day (if you choose) to enjoy the sites.
Mind, when SWMBO is at the side of me, I never feel tired........nag...nag...watch that car....are we there yet.......I need a wee... we can cover 500 miles in an instant:):);)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Mind, when SWMBO is at the side of me, I never feel tired........nag...nag...watch that car....are we there yet.......I need a wee... we can cover 500 miles in an instant:):);)
I think it just feels that way

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It’s a tough call when doing long distance.
Daylight you see all the scenery, but a bit more Traffic, night driving has less Traffic, you arrive at your next stop and get the full day (if you choose) to enjoy the sites.
When I am driving I have a "Passenger brake"

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Any professional driver will tell you that it all depends on the "mood" you are in. Some days you will require a break every 2 hours and another day when forced to take a break after 4.5 hours you cannot wait for the 45 minutes to be up so as to crack on. No two people are the same and no two days are the same. You learn to read your body and it will tell you when its had enough. I have been known to do Manchester Benidorm in 2 days, and have also been known to do it in 3 weeks. Driving when tired is as bad as drunk driving.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Two of my Passengers from the past came from our neck of the woods & traveled with us, both smoked, but I wouldn't let them smoke in the van, we would leave with a full tank & not stop until we needed Diesel, It used to roll me up as when I indicated to turn into the services they'd have cigarette in mouth & lighter at the ready waiting for the door to open :rofl:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Another slightly relevant anecdote from my coach driver days. We often did very long overnight journeys, double-manned. One night it was my stint to cross Switzerland and it was one of those magical beautiful crisp clear moonlit nights when the mountains were spectacularly lit up.

And I was the only one on the coach awake to see it!

Alas I couldn't do it anymore - 4 hours a day is more than enough for me.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Post retirement you know you are on borrowed time and you can't help but want to make the most of it.

It's not just you who would is on borrowed time if you are driving when you are so tired that you are a danger.

Let me know when you intend to drive for so long so I can make sure I am somewhere else please.

OP
OP

Deleted User
It's not just you who would is on borrowed time if you are driving when you are so tired that you are a danger.

Let me know when you intend to drive for so long so I can make sure I am somewhere else please.
Will do, however, you are making a totally wrong assumption that I am so tired, please do not assume anything about me when you don't know me, you obviously judge others by your own standards, just because you have no energy, no sense of adventure please do not assume everyone is the same as you. I would never drive tired or if there was any chance of endangering anyone's life and do not like your accusation one little bit, I am in my 60's not my 90's for goodness sake.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm never in that much of a hurry these days and if I see a nice view I'll stop for a coffee

Don't think I could ever manage 24 hours constant most I've done is around 12 and that still included several toilet/coffee stops of at least 15 minutes each

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I'm never in that much of a hurry these days and if I see a nice view I'll stop for a coffee

Don't think I could ever manage 24 hours constant most I've done is around 12 and that still included several toilet/coffee stops of at least 15 minutes each
When i worked shift 24/7 365 days for 28 years lots of people were up 24hrs+ on first night and last night rather than waste day and struggle sleeping that evening would stay up 36hrs and a lot of shift workers do that.
As for driving 24hrs or getting somewhere quicker if tired i would pull over and sleep for a few hours wake up and start knocking the miles off but i can sleep whenever i feel tired.
Personally i would only drive a night into a day certainly not a day into a night but nowadays i'm in no rush to get anywhere so take my time

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There is another similarity between drunk drivers and tired drivers. Neither are aware that it is impairing their driving ability until way too late. How many times did you hear drinkers saying "I am still OK to drive". Same with tired drivers.
So very true, I've seen and heard of some serious accidents with tired lorry drivers.
Years ago when heading to Malvern for vanfest ( a vw camper show ) we were travelling down as a group and one if my friends 1969 camper got written off when a truck hit the back of him on the m6 motorway..driver had nodded off at the wheel and swerved out of lane clipping the rear quarter and spinning the van in to the barrier.
Fortunately no one was seriously injured but killed the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back