All the gear, and no idea!
this is what iIbought and it is described as an impact driver for wheel nuts
and was £149.95

not advertising this just explaining what it is
I had a similar thing that runs off my compressor
but hat had absolutely no chance of removing the wheel bolts
lots of noise
but no success
Is that the one with the hog ring or the detent pin? Mrs Westy has just bought me the same but bought the one with the detent pin, just getting the 5.0 battery for it as my 1.5‘s for the drill ain’t gonna cut it!
All I need now is hydraulic levellers so I can change the wheels like a F1 mech😂😂

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
this is what iIbought and it is described as an impact driver for wheel nuts
and was £149.95

not advertising this just explaining what it is
I had a similar thing that runs off my compressor
but hat had absolutely no chance of removing the wheel bolts
lots of noise
but no success

My Ryobi has taken many wheels off now, never needed to crack out the breaker bar. However it did fail on a suspension bolt. Even the breaker bar wouldn't remove that. Had to take it to a local garage for them to get a torch to it as my blow torch couldn't get enough heat into it due to mass.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
I've made some silly purchases in my time, I have some Makita tools including an impact driver but needed an Impact wrench for one job, looking at the specs I bought the one that would definitely work - DTW102Z it claims a nut busting torque of 1600nm. Obviously the MH nuts fly off , the downside is it's heavy @3.5kg and I've already enough 'might need ' items in the MH garage so it stays at home

OP
OP
Duck Truck

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi coolcats
If it was just for a the risk of a puncture i would not bother
But each year we swap wrom winter wheels to summer wheels which means a lot of nuts to undo on a six wheeler

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi coolcats
If it was just for a the risk of a puncture i would not bother
But each year we swap wrom winter wheels to summer wheels which means a lot of nuts to undo on a six wheeler
Fair enough and quite reasonable but impact drivers poles and torque wrenches are hardly stuff to carry around when on tour which I guess is where I am coming from, plus not everyone wants to change wheels and tyres and just leave it to the breakdown services. 👍

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Thanks to this thread i tought "ive never had the wheels off yet". So i got my extendable wheel thingy and undid and retightened each bolt, no problemo. No need for a impact whotsit yet.

OP
OP
Duck Truck

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi guys lots of different ways to skin a cat (apologies to cat lovers)every one will do what is right for them
However having waited 24 hrs in a snow storm for a breakdown visit.
I feel the ability to do a simple wheel change requires the right tools

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1998
My job many years ago was supplying tooling to the Motor vehicle Industry (MVI) and instructing on Tightening Technique. Impact wrenches are inccurate and should never be used to tighten wheelnuts / bolts.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I was told/taught many years ago (perhaps incorrectly?) that the tool supplied with the vehicle was the correct length to enable the wheel nuts/bolts to be tightened to the correct torque.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
My job many years ago was supplying tooling to the Motor vehicle Industry (MVI) and instructing on Tightening Technique. Impact wrenches are inccurate and should never be used to tighten wheelnuts / bolts.
Tighten with an impact gun and finish off with a Torque wrench.

Jun 25, 2019
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
rollerteam pegaso. A
Exp
a newby
A friend bought a 20v impact driver from Lidl last week
I though great would it shift the nuts on my Fiat motor home
The answer was NO

Can anyone recommend a rechargeable one that will

Cheers
Kev
Milwaukee half inch impact driver.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I use a Hilti and that’ll shift most things.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Thanks to this thread i tought "ive never had the wheels off yet". So i got my extendable wheel thingy and undid and retightened each bolt, no problemo. No need for a impact whotsit yet.
So what happened next.
Sometime later i took van for a drive , fill up warm up etc.

Gets home now missing an "expensive/cheap" Rapido wheel cover. Tie wraps on other 3.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Thing is with impact drivers there are so many, my local store have all the Makita cordless in and I'm confused over which one to get that would remove wheel nuts.
When I did my Transporter couple weeks back, the bolts were seriously tight, I was bouncing up and down on a 3 foot scaffold pole that only just got the nuts off after VW torqued them back on at the service.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When I did my Transporter couple weeks back, the bolts were seriously tight, I was bouncing up and down on a 3 foot scaffold pole that only just got the nuts off after VW torqued them back on at the service.
After new tyres were fitted the nuts were so tight that when I had to change a wheel I sheared a stud.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Agree with above.... would be really useful if people could help with a little more specific models, like 18v lithium, brushless, model xyz and get the one with the torque ring blah blah etc etc.. thanks in advance!! 👌

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
A hundred years ago when I did my commercial vehicle apprenticeship,the garage had various workshops and a service bay.
The guy in the service bay checked wheel nuts on service by tightening "one crack" every time so after a few services.....
The guys in the workshops often cursed him when cutting wheel nuts off with a gas axe to do a brake job!
Who ends a torque wrench !!!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
There was no things like windy guns for army truck wheel nuts in my days. The best I could do was all 91/2 stone of me and a length of scaffolding pole.
Fitting wheels was an art. Issued shovel under tyre with your foot on it to lift it and hold the wheel on with your forehead whilst you got the nuts started. Dropping the wheel nuts in the mud or snapping the shovel handle just added to the fun.

Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
Just know that the majority of 1/2" impacts will tighten much more than the specified torque on MHs and cars.

Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
Only if it doesn't snap. w e had a snap on bloke extolling the virtues of a multiplier so we tried one . It wouldn't touch the nuts on 1,1/2" studs . wrecked itself.So did the replacement supplied under guarantee
Yep everything has a limitation. Snapped studs are normally easier to deal with than a nut though.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It also comes with a 3 year warranty so effectively it's for life, rag on it, it breaks, get a new one, all for £69.99; can't say fairer than that!
You'll probably find the 3 year warranty is on the first one and not the replacements.
They will only get the remainder of the original 3 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back