Impact driver for wheel nuts (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway EB
Exp
New
Tighten with an impact gun and finish off with a Torque wrench.
This is generally not advisable as the impact wrench could tighten way beyond the normal/recommended torque for wheel nuts. An exception is using an impact wrench like say a Milwaukee 1/2 inch mid torque wrench where you can set it to tighten nuts up to 47 Nm, then complete to specified torque with a torque wrench. Even then I wouldn't use it with locking wheel nuts, either doing up or undoing, as the splines in the wheel nut key are not designed for impact wrench loads.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Not for wheel nuts, but I used one of these for tightening nuts where I once worked.

Maximum Torque 100,000 Nm

Screenshot_20240301-183343.png

Screenshot_20240301-183424.png

Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
You'll probably find the 3 year warranty is on the first one and not the replacements.
They will only get the remainder of the original 3 years
That's correct, you don't get a new warranty on a warranty replacement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
A friend bought a 20v impact driver from Lidl last week
I though great would it shift the nuts on my Fiat motor home
The answer was NO

Can anyone recommend a rechargeable one that will

Cheers
Kev

I bought a Heavy Duty DeWalt XR cordless with 1625 Nm torque back in 2010, which we used on the HGV & PSV's.

Never found anything it couldn't undo but so it should.

(Just checked, now about £350 from Machine Mart.)

Okay for undoing but if tightening, handle with care or you finish up with broken studs etc. 😡

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have a cheap Lidl one and a long torque wrench. Not ideal but I break the nuts loose with the bar then spin the nuts on and off with the driver. Then of course I use the bar to re set the torque. Cheap nut drivers don't have adjustable torque, so you need to use a bar anyway

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I have a cheap Lidl one and a long torque wrench. Not ideal but I break the nuts loose with the bar then spin the nuts on and off with the driver. Then of course I use the bar to re set the torque. Cheap nut drivers don't have adjustable torque, so you need to use a bar anyway
My lidl one has 4 fixed settings on the front by using a slider. I don't think even on the highest setting it would budge wheel nuts tightened using a commercial gun, or indeed a length of bar. It's still handy to have, but on the van I carry my Haiko combi drill, which will spin the nuts once hand released, and are also great for winding down canopy securing plates. It works for me as I have various other Haiko bits on board, big torch, hand held vacuum.

Mike.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My lidl one has 4 fixed settings on the front by using a slider. I don't think even on the highest setting it would budge wheel nuts tightened using a commercial gun, or indeed a length of bar. It's still handy to have, but on the van I carry my Haiko combi drill, which will spin the nuts once hand released, and are also great for winding down canopy securing plates. It works for me as I have various other Haiko bits on board, big torch, hand held vacuum.

Mike.
My impact wrench, works harder winding up the scissor jack than taking off the wheel nuts. 😄

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
My impact wrench, works harder winding up the scissor jack than taking off the wheel nuts. 😄
Caution!! I used it on my jack and for whatever reason it rammed the inner wormdrive sleeve up against the stop. So although the jack still works it doesn't hold it's closed position
Which reminds me must source a replacement at some point. I still have my bottle jack on board though
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back