immobilisers (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just been reading another thread re: cobra alarms.

it brought back memories of immobiliser problems i encountered when doing breakdown recovery.

RAF fylingdales early warning station on the whitby moors, or any others come to that, emit microwave radiation which can interfere with SOME alarm/ immobiliser key fobs.

if you park nearby then the doors will lock as normal and the immobiliser will arm but wont always unlock on the fob and dis-arm.

the only solution is to move away from the radar station which means a recovery.
i tried 'shielding' the cars with the recovery truck but it doesnt work:Sad:.

move a few miles away and try the fob again.....it WILL work unless, of course, its a genuine fault.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!::bigsmile:

PS....dont know why its RAF fylingdales when its an american base run by the yanks:Confused:

Last edited:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
used to get that with certian makes of car that parked at the top of a multistorey carpark in town, t-mobile had their antennas on the sides of the top level of the carpark, and would interfeer with the remotes enough to block the signals,

people didnt believe me we had to move the car down a level.... by pushing it, then it'd work,

had one or 2 people insist i recovered their car to the dealer to have it all checked out, and even agreed to pay for a private recovery as their breakdown service wouldent, as i'd cleared the fault,

there were also some saab's i think about 15 years ago, where a certian make of mobile phone being answered near the car would cause the car to unlock and lock again, thus rolling the code on so the key fob wouldent work it,

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
used to get that with certian makes of car that parked at the top of a multistorey carpark in town, t-mobile had their antennas on the sides of the top level of the carpark, and would interfeer with the remotes enough to block the signals,

people didnt believe me we had to move the car down a level.... by pushing it, then it'd work,

had one or 2 people insist i recovered their car to the dealer to have it all checked out, and even agreed to pay for a private recovery as their breakdown service wouldent, as i'd cleared the fault,

there were also some saab's i think about 15 years ago, where a certian make of mobile phone being answered near the car would cause the car to unlock and lock again, thus rolling the code on so the key fob wouldent work it,

Saab and Subaru where the main ones.
3 Subaru's in same carpark on one call out...that paid well. 3 callouts in one visit.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back