Immobilisers first fitted to Ducatos? (1 Viewer)

hymerhobo

Free Member
Apr 14, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 years
I have just been categorically informed by my insurer's tele-helpdesk that Fiat started fitting immobilisers to Ducatos from 1996 onwards. The help agent said they needed to know if I had a factory-fitted immobiliser, I said I didn't know, and he asked someone else who came out with the above story. Not that I distrust information gleaned in this fashion, but can anyone confirm this here? If I were to claim and it emerged that my Ducato doesn't have an immobiliser, then I could argue til I was blue in the face for all the good it would do.

If my vehicle doesn't have one, then would a self-fit immobiliser be satisfactory, I wonder? A hidden switch connected to the the pump solenoid via a relay perhaps ...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
firstly i doubt very much that a DIY fit immob would be satifactory for insurers.

they usually require a thatcham cat 2 and a professional installation certificate to match.

secondly....they are getting you to do their job.
they will have access to every base vehicle manufactures spec on immobilizers/alarms fitted at factory.

i have always been ask if it has a standard factory fit or otherwise (toad...cobra etc) and they know what was fitted in a particular year on different models.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Will do, and thanks. In the meantime though, what is it about the key that would tell you? Is there a general rule about the style or shape of the key?

Yep! The key for vehicles without an immobiliser is a different style to the key for vehicles with an immobiliser:Doh:

If the van if fitted with an immobiliser there is a chip in the key to turn off the immobiliser so the key looks different

Google transponder immobilisers if your interested in how they work, and send me a picture of the key if you'd like to know which you have

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back