Immobiliser issues Fiat Ducato (1 Viewer)

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
Since 2019, caravans from 2010
Has anyone had issues with immobiliser on a Ducato? My Itineo refuses to start. I have had starting issues before and when recovery vehicles or garages get the vehicle it starts ok. I get fuel but no firing. Full battery power. Once its running it runs fine.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I assume it is a diesel. I only have experience of older diesels but found difficulty starting can be caused by poor compression, defective glow plugs, wrong fuel. If you have added some petrol by mistake it will run but after stopping unlikely to start.

A compression check is best done by a garage, more complicated than a petrol engine.

Glow plugs are a service item and do wear with age.

Wrong fuel, if tank is low top up with diesel or drain and refill.

Good luckšŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ˜€

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
A Diesel only needs 3 things fuel, air and compression. As you say it runs ok once started I would cross off compression. You say you have fuel where? No glow plug power would make it hard to start but not impossible.
I'm suspecting a lack of fuel. Do you have a primer for the fuel system either a pump in the tank/fuel line or a manual one under the bonnet? If manual try a few pumps before trying to start, pump should get hard. Let us know how you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Has anyone had issues with immobiliser on a Ducato? My Itineo refuses to start. I have had starting issues before and when recovery vehicles or garages get the vehicle it starts ok. I get fuel but no firing. Full battery power. Once its running it runs fine.
What year is it?

OP
OP
Pickygame

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp

OP
OP
Pickygame

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
A Diesel only needs 3 things fuel, air and compression. As you say it runs ok once started I would cross off compression. You say you have fuel where? No glow plug power would make it hard to start but not impossible.
I'm suspecting a lack of fuel. Do you have a primer for the fuel system either a pump in the tank/fuel line or a manual one under the bonnet? If manual try a few pumps before trying to start, pump should get hard. Let us know how you get on.
I opened the fuel filter bleed screw and with ignition on got fuel.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It's unlikely to be the immobiliser then. The CODE immobiliser was fairly unreliable and when have sent out hundreds of help sheets telling people how to remove the immobiliser that Fiat said could be removed.

You'll need expert diesel advice I suspect. One thought though? do you get clouds of white smoke out of the exhaust when your turning the engine over?

OP
OP
Pickygame

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
It's unlikely to be the immobiliser then. The CODE immobiliser was fairly unreliable and when have sent out hundreds of help sheets telling people how to remove the immobiliser that Fiat said could be removed.

You'll need expert diesel advice I suspect. One thought though? do you get clouds of white smoke out of the exhaust when your turning the engine over?
No white smoke.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Is it turning over at its ā€œnormalā€ speed when your cranking it or slowly like a flat battery? They do need a certain speed to start to get the fuel to explode through compression.

OP
OP
Pickygame

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
Is it turning over at its ā€œnormalā€ speed when your cranking it or slowly like a flat battery? They do need a certain speed to start to get the fuel to explode through compression.
Turns over full speed. Battery is trickle charged through solar panel

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If it runs well once you get it started it sounds like a glow plug fault to me, although that wouldn't account for why it starts O.K. for the recovery chap.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Would have thought you would get glow plug warning on your dash if it them?šŸ˜Š

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had a immobiliser problem.on a 2011 Ducato van , sort of , wouldn't turn off so I had to stall it then it turned over but wouldn't fire

Breakdown came out , cleared the codes and it started so I drove it 200 miles home to the garage , he took the NS headlight out and found corroded wires

Changed them, no problems since

I took this picture of their scanner when he wasn't lookingšŸ¤«
Screenshot_20210402-162942_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pickygame

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
I had a immobiliser problem.on a 2011 Ducato van , sort of , wouldn't turn off so I had to stall it then it turned over but wouldn't fire

Breakdown came out , cleared the codes and it started so I drove it 200 miles home to the garage , he took the NS headlight out and found corroded wires

Changed them, no problems since

I took this picture of their scanner when he wasn't lookingšŸ¤«
View attachment 480163
I think i have sorted it. On following this i noticed i have a Chip Express tuner fitted. (last owner probably). Took it off and fitted the blanking plug and it starts fine. I think the chip has got water ingress or something.

OP
OP
Pickygame

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
(y)