Immobiliser issue on a 2.8 JTD Fiat (1 Viewer)

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
I have recently been having issues starting my Fiat Ducato MH (2004) due to the immobiliser light (car and padlock symbol) not going out. First thing in the morning the vehicle starts and drives fine, but if I stop for fuel and then try to start the MH again I am faced with the immobiliser light staying on. Quickly turning the ignition from 0 to 1 dozens of times and watching the light, I can eventually catch the immobilisesr light going out and I can start the MH (not really a solution). I spoke to an auto electrician and he believe it to be an issue with the fuel pump and that the cheapest option would be to run a wire from the solenoid on the fuel pump and bypass the immobiliser. The other EXPENSIVE option would be to replace the fuel pump apparently!. Is this the likely cause of the problem, has anyone else had this issue?
can anyone advise on the best course of action to take as I don't want to find myself stranded in the middle of nowhere if and when the problem gets worse?. :crying1:

Further research would seem to suggest that the bypass from the fuel pump is only an option on the 2.8 and on the 2.8 JTD I would need to get the ECU reprogrammed "free running mode" - help confused :confused:

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I have recently been having issues starting my Fiat Ducato MH (2004) due to the immobiliser light (car and padlock symbol) not going out. First thing in the morning the vehicle starts and drives fine, but if I stop for fuel and then try to start the MH again I am faced with the immobiliser light staying on. Quickly turning the ignition from 0 to 1 dozens of times and watching the light, I can eventually catch the immobilisesr light going out and I can start the MH (not really a solution). I spoke to an auto electrician and he believe it to be an issue with the fuel pump and that the cheapest option would be to run a wire from the solenoid on the fuel pump and bypass the immobiliser. The other EXPENSIVE option would be to replace the fuel pump apparently!. Is this the likely cause of the problem, has anyone else had this issue?
can anyone advise on the best course of action to take as I don't want to find myself stranded in the middle of nowhere if and when the problem gets worse?. :crying1:

Further research would seem to suggest that the bypass from the fuel pump is only an option on the 2.8 and on the 2.8 JTD I would need to get the ECU reprogrammed "free running mode" - help confused :confused:

Some time ago I had an intermittent 'starting' problem with a Sigma M30 immobilizer system fitted to my 2.8JTD Hymer.
The garage determined it to be the Starter Motor circuit and rectified the fault by connecting the M30 Unit Starter Circuit Input (12v) to the M30 Unit Starter Circuit Output. In effect just bypassing the M30 Unit locally.
I would have thought that the Fuel Pump Circuit could have been bypassed by the same method if it had turned out to be the problem?
However, when the fault had been present, there was no immobilizer light being shown.
Hope this info may be of help.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The key normally has a chip in it that is picked up by the transponder unit which is around the ignition barrel. Normally one or other becomes faulty.

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
IMG-20180113-WA0007.jpeg IMG-20180114-WA0009.jpg IMG-20180113-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20180113-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20180115-WA0001.jpg

I believe the issue is related to the immobiliser antenna because when I removed it from the ignition barrel and pushed the key through it, the key was always recognised by the ECU.
I have ordered a new antenna, so we will see what happens :). (either that or the transponder is loose or on its way out). Settled for the cheapest option first (y)

I tried the emergency start procedure when the immobiliser would not go out using the instructions in the manual and using the immobiliser keycode and managed to get the vehicle to start, very strange why the manual states that the emergency start procedure only works on petrol engines - LIARS!!.

I also purchased a VAGCOM cable and used Multiecuscan to read the immobiliser error code, the other error shown was historic so I cleared the codes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back