Imminent buyer! (1 Viewer)

Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Hi all,
Glad to find this site to help me with my 'journey'.
Don't panic about avatar pic. It is of me but was taken in 1976.
Short story version is I will need to vacate where I have lived for the last 12 years in the UK and rather than rent a flat or bedsit and join the EOL old people crew struggling by on a meager pension, I've decided once more to live off grid.
I have lived in vans before once for six months and once for a couple of years, also on a narrowboat. The vans were basic but ok when I was a lot younger. Spent a couple of years in India travelling around nearly the whole country on an Enfield Bullet. In my youth six months in Morocco too. Lived a couple of years in Holland in the 80's.

Nowadays I need a bit more comfort but have a max of £15000 for a reliable camper plus a grand for the obligatory Yamaha YBR 125 when I sell my Trident that I must admit has become too heavy for me really, plus rather large to consider carrying on a van!

So a van for one person, been looking at the VW LWB T4/5's. Just a bit of concern about the 150 to 200000 mileage ones available in my price range?
I would consider alternatives if any suggestions. I'm capable of most diy jobs but not up to a full refit of a van.
I've been following the latest van insurance posts with interest and realise asking for full living requirements in the van only is a no no!

My idea is to spend 6 months in the UK per year, then meandering down to Morocco for 90 days and then returning to the UK up through Spain and France using up my 90 day Schengen allowance (I believe you can split the 90 days within a 6 months time period?) before arriving back in the UK around April time. This is all rather fluid for now but I'm thinking of getting on the road in April 2022 and spending it in the UK until November time.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Thanks all and I hope to contribute on this site in the future but initially probably just lots of questions!

Rattay

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello GIF by Originals
If the VW is the size of van you are after i would also look at a Toyota hi ace.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hi2:
Are you intending to buy soon for 6 months in UK in winter or intending to go straight off to Morocco? If in UK,I am sure that you realise from your history, that you need something with pretty good insulation for UK.

Do not worry about high mileage, you need to look for something with a history of being used and well cared for/serviced. Older vans usually have better quality fixings and furniture and it is more economic to make changes to suit yourself such as new mattress, painting cupboard fronts etc.

You will need to consider if the van you buy can take the weight of the motorbike you want, so look at axle limits and overall max weight on the V5. I assume you have C1 on your driving licence so could drive a van over 3500kg or get a van upplated - if it can be.

Be prepared to spend money on it at first.

Last edited:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
FLT in a t4/5 is going to get annoying very quickly!

I'd look a a fiat Ducati / pug

Or a crafter

Avoid a transit.

If c1 get a Vario !

Cheers James

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
VWs are a massive premium just for the badge. On a tight budget, would it be better to go for another brand?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've had my 1995 Compass on an automatic transmission VW T4 base seven years and paid £13,500 for it. I've toured Europe with it, sometimes with one of my old Brit clunkers on a trailer and never a single fault. 75,000 miles now and it's solid as a rock underneath, virtually unmarked inside, has never failed an MOT nor ever had an Advisory. The upholstery is like a tart's boudoir (who cares?) but the interior sprung mattresses/seat cushions are blissfully comfortable. I have absolutely no reason nor intention to change it.

RH side.jpg

Cab.jpg

Overcab double.jpg

Looking to rear.jpg

CIMG4523.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
rattay
Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Are you intending to buy soon for 6 months in UK in winter or intending to go straight off to Morocco? If in UK,I am sure that you realise from your history, that you need something with pretty good insulation for UK.

Do not worry about high mileage, you need to look for something with a history of being used and well cared for/serviced. Older vans usually have better quality fixings and furniture and it is more economic to make changes to suit yourself such as new mattress, painting cupboard fronts etc.

You will need to consider if the van you buy can take the weight of the motorbike you want, so look at axle limits and overall max weight on the V5. I assume you have C1 on your driving licence so could drive a van over 3500kg or get a van upplated - if it can be.

Be prepared to spend money on it at first.
Considering buying soon and doing some work on it such as minor alterations for more suitability for a single persons use only, and will be keeping it on the driveway where i'm living until next spring unless circumstances dictate otherwise Taking on your point of older vans will probably suit me better. Having read some of the initial responses I am now considering a larger possibly motor home as I was concerned about the lack of space in the VW. Motorbike is a must as I have had a stent fitted in a major artery that was successful thankfully so the left leg has blood flow again. However walking long distances is still beyond me. Being an ex mechanical engineer I had thought about, and will be taking on axle weight requirements

VWs are a massive premium just for the badge. On a tight budget, would it be better to go for another brand?
One of my thoughts was would the VW be big enough for me and I seem to be coming round already to a larger option. On top of that as you say the VW badge adds £'s on to the price. I definitely will look into other makes now without the 'glamour' of VW.

I've had my 1995 Compass on an automatic transmission VW T4 base seven years and paid £13,500 for it. I've toured Europe with it, sometimes with one of my old Brit clunkers on a trailer and never a single fault. 75,000 miles now and it's solid as a rock underneath, virtually unmarked inside, has never failed an MOT nor ever had an Advisory. The upholstery is like a tart's boudoir (who cares?) but the interior sprung mattresses/seat cushions are blissfully comfortable. I have absolutely no reason nor intention to change it.

Great looking unit. I am definitely swinging towards a motorhome as opposed to a van now (quick change or wot?). Was looking at the Yamaha 125 as the weight is only 120kg dry but I wouldn't want to pull it on a trailer as I assume extra costs are involved on ferries and campsites? So it needs to go on the back or inside the unit! Whether it's possible to have it inside the unit between camps I don't know? I won't be doing a lot of touring (done that and got the T-shirt!) Initial thoughts is to find a site I like and park up for a good while using the bike for fetching provisions and the odd 'blast' out (not too fast on a 125 though!)
rattay

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Was looking at the Yamaha 125 as the weight is only 120kg dry but I wouldn't want to pull it on a trailer as I assume extra costs are involved on ferries and campsites?
Ferries and the tunnel charge extra for a trailer but I've never had to pay extra on camp sites. I couldn't put a m/bike inside my m/h without major structural mods but most (?) PVC's have the original double rear doors which makes it possible.
I have a pal with one of the smaller PVC's (van conversions) who carries his heavier than 150kg m/bikes on a rear carrier but you must be cautious of overloading the rear axle and the leverage effect of the weight behind the axle.. He occasionally carries it inside between the single side berths but his wife objects to the petrol smell. :rolleyes:
E.G. Autocruise Rhythm PVC...........
5641270-726x420.jpg

As you will know a 125 bike is plenty for day tripping. In fact I rode a Honda 125 to Spain and back just before the lockdown. (I'm 76 and have dodgy knees with a range of 2 flat miles.)
For shopping and sightseeing you could be satisfied (as many are) with one of the many smaller twist 'n go scooters/mopeds.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would discount the option of carrying it inside if you are full timing. Even if only inside for driving between stops, it will leave a lingering aroma and would have to protect the area around it. You would have to find room for the ramps and for some sort of supporting device too. I think it would be better to assume on a tailored rack on the back, this would then remove one of the limitations in your van search. Living fulltime means a decent washroom and the ones with best room are often across the back of the van.
As Spriddler says, it’s only ferries that charge by overall length.

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Welcome from the north east

OP
OP
rattay
Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Ferries and the tunnel charge extra for a trailer but I've never had to pay extra on camp sites. I couldn't put a m/bike inside my m/h without major structural mods but most (?) PVC's have the original double rear doors which makes it possible.
I have a pal with one of the smaller PVC's (van conversions) who carries his heavier than 150kg m/bikes on a rear carrier but you must be cautious of overloading the rear axle and the leverage effect of the weight behind the axle.. He occasionally carries it inside between the single side berths but his wife objects to the petrol smell. :rolleyes:
That's good to know that it's only on the ferries there's an extra trailer charge, does that include the UK camp sites too, for instance the sites with a maximum length unit, is the trailer counted in the overall length or if you remove it from the rear once on site, can you 'store' it at the side of your unit? I noticed a small 'trailored' car is charged £2 per night extra, is that the same for a small bike trailer? Carrying it on a rear carrier is of course a concern as overcoming the safe axle weight on the back, and the lightening effect on the front and the consequent extra 'wear' on components long term. The problem of loading it on board and anchoring it, not withstanding the smell is also problematic. I was thinking of welding a hook on the inside of the unit and using a light weight rope pulley capable of lifting 180kg at an advantage of 6:1 maybe possible, but a lot of faffing around would rather be avoided if possible?
As you will know a 125 bike is plenty for day tripping. In fact I rode a Honda 125 to Spain and back just before the lockdown. (I'm 76 and have dodgy knees with a range of 2 flat miles.)
For shopping and sightseeing you could be satisfied (as many are) with one of the many smaller twist 'n go scooters/mopeds.
I don't think I could be satisfied with a twist and go being a biker most of my life! Also while in the UK I would like to visit my daughter and grand kids on occasion who live on the Scottish border when I'm not too far away from them. Probably prefer to keep the unit on a campsite and ride up to 50 miles max, to visit them for an overnight stay.

I would discount the option of carrying it inside if you are full timing. Even if only inside for driving between stops, it will leave a lingering aroma and would have to protect the area around it. You would have to find room for the ramps and for some sort of supporting device too. I think it would be better to assume on a tailored rack on the back, this would then remove one of the limitations in your van search. Living fulltime means a decent washroom and the ones with best room are often across the back of the van.
As @Spriddler says, it’s only ferries that charge by overall length.
Yes food for thought. I will take on board what you say and possibly the best option would be a small towed trailer if camp sites allow without it causing too much hassle and an extra cost of £2 per night as per a towed car not being a problem of course, more to do with the overall length of the units allowed on various sites and not cutting down the site options.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Hello and welcome - some great considerations there. For me, when I had my T4 I missed hot water and heating the most. I would boil a kettle for hot water and it was luxury!! A small inflatable drivaway awning would give you more space and a bike garage for when you are on site, obviously on site as they are rubbish when you are driving.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have a look at conversions on an Mercedes Vario. Northernraider is currently doing his own but there must be some to buy already converted. A bit more living space and strong enough for a tailored chassis extension for the bike,

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
rattay

I too have been a biker all my life, having owned many over the years. Currently a Royal Enfield 650cc Interceptor.

Because of weight considerations we tow a Honda 125cc PCX behind the Motorhome. It is twist and go but still fun. Two up it will cruise comfortably at 50mph and, solo, it will cruise at 60mph. We have used it now for 8 years and it has never missed a beat.

I understand that as a long time biker you are concerned about the “downgrade” to a twist and go but, where weight and reliability are important, I wouldn’t totally rule it out. Contact a local dealer for a test ride and see what you think.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
That's good to know that it's only on the ferries there's an extra trailer charge, does that include the UK camp sites too,
A m/h and trailer doesn't take up any more space than a caravan and car.
I don't think I could be satisfied with a twist and go being a biker most of my life!
So have I for 60 years for fun and as a competition rider. I have several 'Biker' bikes but I prefer a lighter form of transport for practical reasons as mentioned by maison (towbar weight, loading aboard, secure stowage on the bike for helmet(s) etc.). Life is a series of compromises.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
rattay

have you thought about a chassis mounted folding motorcycle rack, this will more than cope with your 125cc anything i’d have thought. Plus being folding should allow you to open the rear doors if fitted then fold up out of the way when not in use.

Pretty expensive but should last you forever if looked after

Al

OP
OP
rattay
Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Because of weight considerations we tow a Honda 125cc PCX behind the Motorhome. It is twist and go but still fun. Two up it will cruise comfortably at 50mph and, solo, it will cruise at 60mph. We have used it now for 8 years and it has never missed a beat.

I understand that as a long time biker you are concerned about the “downgrade” to a twist and go but, where weight and reliability are important, I wouldn’t totally rule it out. Contact a local dealer for a test ride and see what you think.
I do understand and would not discount the option of a twist and go. The Honda 125 PCX is 'exactly'the same weight as a Yamaha YBR 125 though. The yam is a cheaper option bought used, as many have been bought just for passing the test with low mileage ones available for just over the £1000 price.

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Hi Rattray and welcome! You said you had a Trident? I am assuming you have a late 60’s early 70’s model? Which one do you have? I am an old biker, in fact I still have a bike but I always liked the Trident and Rocket 3

OP
OP
rattay
Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Hi Rattray and welcome! You said you had a Trident? I am assuming you have a late 60’s early 70’s model? Which one do you have? I am an old biker, in fact I still have a bike but I always liked the Trident and Rocket 3
Fraid it's an early Hinckley one! 1994. After Bloor bought Triumph, they initially over engineered to gain reputation and the 1994 models were also finished in their brand new paint shop so a win win situation (apart from the top heavy weight distribution of the bike!) I've travelled to Faro a couple of times in Portugal with Harleys alongside and my Triumph was the only bike that had no problems. Much brake overheating on the Harleys on the mountains!

OP
OP
rattay
Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
This sort of thing might suit you, as suggested by @Al n Val
Fits on a towbar - easily removeable (or so they say).
Looks the business but I would be perplexed to spend the same amount on the carrier as the bike I'm intending to use. I would probably be more comfortable with a used one similar to Spriddler's as the stripped down parts of the 'Easy Lifter' would still have to be stored around or inside the camper when removing it on site. Good looking item though and would cut down on the overall length of the unit on the ferry.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I’m selling my Armitage folding carrier if you’re interested

it’s chassis mounted and rated at 180/200kgs so plenty for a 125cc and a cycle