LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just arrived at Immigration/Passport desk at Calais Eurotunnnel and as normal flashed our passports, this time they wanted to kinow where we hbad been in France, when we had bought the Campervan.
Is this a new edit?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We had that last year at Dover, when asked where we had been, I said France not thinking we had just got off the Calais to dover ferry, I don't think they were too impressed:ROFLMAO:

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
When we came back from Calais to Dover (a few weeks ago), we were stopped and the van was searched.
I asked the customs officer to wipe his feet :)Laughing:) and asked if he was looking for goods or people....

A week later on the radio, it was announced that they had stripped a motorhome and found lots of drugs!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scrubnuts

Free Member
May 11, 2008
Lomba do Rei Portugal
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
We were parked up near Vron and were invaded by the Douane ( 5 girls and 1 bloke ) who asked the usual questions and when they found out we had been to Spain were most interested in what booze and fags we had on board.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I really had to smile a couple of years ago returning from spain by air,via east Midland Airport
My passport was checked by two Indian princesses in full sari's and what looked like a Zulu warrior, and I had to ask them if I could come in
I dont have a racial bone in me but couln't help see the funny side :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
GeO

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Custom Officers have always asked questions and made conversation. That is what

they are there for.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
last year our van was searched . they looked in wardrobe and under seats . even asked me to open gas locker to See if any one was in there. our new van is even bigger than old one and as a double floor .hope they don't want to try and look under there .
they did catch a man hiding in a 4x4 wile searching or van last time .:thumb:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I use the euro tunnel regularly on business and I have had the full interrogation and many occasions.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
And while they are checking our motor homes the illegal immigrant are all driving by us:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
No its quite normal, we always get a tug and then thats followed by them boarding and terrorising the kids.
Maybee its just the way I look, never look in the obvious places either, Always say there looking for immigrants, and never worry about the goods.:whatthe:

ricwig69

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Newcastle (The Toon)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We got stopped coming back in the car a few years ago. The Customs Officer was as dry as sticks and asked us any amount of (seemingly) irrelevant questions, eg. where had we heard about the campsite we stayed at? Our honest answer that we hadn't until we found it was met by a very suspicious look.

When we told him we had been to the Normandy beaches, he looked mystified. When we explained: D-Day, WWII, some bit of history, he actually asked us if we had brought any weapons back with us!? I pointed out that they had mostly all been cleared away in the intervening 60 years; more blank looks.

Although (upon his request) when I showed him our boot full of muddy camping gear, he lost interest in any further search; but did take the car's logbook away for a while before returning and waving us on.

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Hi we used the Euro Tunnel coming back in the middle of March, they hardly said a thing to us...........just passed a detector type thing underneath the drivers side and that was that, we also had two dogs on board.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Just arrived at Immigration/Passport desk at Calais Eurotunnnel and as normal flashed our passports, this time they wanted to kinow where we had been in France, when we had bought the Campervan.
Is this a new edit?

No.....nothing new about this at all though the French side don't usually bother 'brits' too much....it's when you get back the hassle starts! Dover Port HMRC are notorious for their stop and search policy.

Generally they tend to target single males travelling alone and are primarily looking for tobacco goods. Its quite rare for them to stop a family or couple, and even more rare a single female travelling alone.

If taken to one side to be further questioned the only comparison i can make is its more akin to an interrogation. Their line of questioning may seem odd but is designed with entrapment in mind. They will ask some pretty obscure questions and take note of your reply, then ten or fifteen minutes later ask a similar question again and gauge your response. Answer differently and you may well find yourself 'digging a hole'. Thats when they dont let go....a bit like a dog at a bone. They go into everything. Place of employment, net income, Bank and/or savings account details, any debts, vehicle value, if owned, finance or rented, even how much your average weekly spend on food is! The list is endless and very intrusive.

They will also ask you to leave the keys of your vehicle with one of their officers "in case it needs to be moved". Don't let go of your keys! What they really mean is "give your keys to one of our officers because if we are not satisfied with your replies to our questions....we are going to impound your vehicle". Tell them if it needs moving you will move it....not them.

A lot depends on the type of HMRC officer you get. Most are right *******s, but once i had one who was a perfect gentleman and actually apologised for searching my car and commented "i can't understand why they sent you in to me"!

Dover Port is also the only place where i have been asked where i am going and what for on the way out! I was also asked how much money i was carrying and in what currency.

I often feel tempted to rip up my passport, turn my back on this country and wave goodbye forever to those white cliffs!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we got stopped at dunkirk on the way back.

he asked if he could look around inside.......feel free.:thumb:

in the cupboards, in the bog, under the seats, in the wardrobe, everywhere you could hide someone and some others where you couldnt.

then he said he needed to see the outside lockers, my reply.......what for, you just looked in 'em.:winky:

look of surprise.....i havent he said.

you looked under the seats so you looked in the lockers.

oh...ok. enjoy your voyage.:Eeek::Eeek:

made me feel security was in good form that night.:whatthe:

john

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
This thread has saved my sanity!

I thought it was only me that was always 'selected at random' for a special check whether leaving or entering the UK. As a singleton I have now got used to it.

There was one potentially embarrasing situation several years ago.

I was in my mid forties and had been visiting my parents who lived in Mallorca. On the day of departure, my mother announced "Ian, you are useless at packing, I'm going to do it for you"!

Bit strong I thought, but it got me out of a job I didn't enjoy!

As usual, I was 'pulled' at Gatwick.

"Is this your suitcase sir"?
NO, I thought it might be fun to bring through someone else's "Yes"

"Has it ever left your sight"?
No, I even stayed in the hold to keep an eye on it "No"

"Did you pack it yourself"?
Um, err, my mummy actually did it for me "Yes":Blush:

Ian

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Pulled at tunnel

I was pulled over last September after a couple of weeks in France. They looked in cupboards etc but if they were looking for illegal immigrants they completely overlooked the roof box. Too much trouble to climb up there I suppose. An illegal immigrant in there would have to do without breathing of course :cry-smile:as it is pretty well airtight, but it could have held thousands of fags (it didn't but I guess we must just look dishonest).

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
The thing that concerned me was the "When did you buy the van" question could not see the relevance.

Theres lots of reasons for asking when you bought the van such as......

Could it have been used previously for smuggling and they were watching out for your regn number???

Was it made in the country you were in and did they think you were not paying the export duty????

Had they already checked your regn no against dvla records and using it just as a security question????

there are more but this is just a few

Can understand how you feel doesnt matter how innocent someone is they can make you feel like a criminal even though you havent done anything wrong :roflmto:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We went over to france on a day trip phone customs before and even got the customs officers name.

We brought back 1500 cigarettes, no booze or anything else. We phoned the boat ahead and ordered the cigs, no problem, we collected them quite openly

and when we landed in the uk again, customs were looking for us everywhere. It was so obvious it was hilarious.

So we spend an hour with stroppy customs officers, and were finally allowed to continue with our goods.

The coach party we were with were none to happy.

And now when you phone customs they wont give you their name!!!! I wonder whether that was our fault??

I hate it when you are honest and bring in what you are allowed and they try to do you for it.

But then again, when I made a complaint, as they said, they are up against professional criminals. So much for innocent until proven guilty!!!!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
" So much for innocent until proven guilty !!! "

I always thought it was.......presumed innocent.................

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
We brought back 1500 cigarettes, no booze or anything else.
HMRC dont give a fig about booze.....it's tobacco goods they are looking for.

What many people don't understand is the exact definition of the "amounts" allowed. Ask for a copy of a Notice 1 where it gives the amounts of cigarettes, rolling tobacco, cigars etc. It is important to note that these "amounts" are guidelines....and not limitations. But if questioned about what you have brought in, then it is up to the individual to prove that it is for your own personal use.

Incidentally, regards vehicle registration numbers. Every single vehicle reg plate is photographed, recorded and documented by HMRC as are your files when booking.

So much for innocent until proven guilty!!!!
I agree!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
HMRC dont give a fig about booze.....it's tobacco goods they are looking for.

What many people don't understand is the exact definition of the "amounts" allowed.
Forgot to add that the 'guidelines' on allowances are applicable to EU countries only. Non-EU countries are a different ball game.

Last edited:
J

jkoebel

Deleted User
Why are they so concerned about tobacco products? I'd figure they'd be upset about illegal immigrants and drugs and fruit pests and so forth.

I know one is allowed to bring several dozen cartons back into the country here in the U.S. from abroad.

I'm from the other side of the world from all of you, so I apologize if I'm ignorant of the policies on your end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Why are they so concerned about tobacco products? I'd figure they'd be upset about illegal immigrants and drugs and fruit pests and so forth.

I know one is allowed to bring several dozen cartons back into the country here in the U.S. from abroad.

I'm from the other side of the world from all of you, so I apologize if I'm ignorant of the policies on your end.

Taxation and prohibition basically.

Anything which UK Government don't like people indulging they either whack a massive tax on it.....or make it prohibitive.

Over the years tobacco has seen the price increase through high taxation in an attempt to force people to stop smoking. That didn't work so last year the Government introduced a ban on smoking in public places.......which is currently closing down Pubs (Bars) at the rate of four every day as custom dwindles.

As an example a 50g pack of Golden Virgina rolling tobacco costs about £10.90 ($21.53) in the UK. In Belgium the same amount of the same brand costs £3.93 ($7.64). So the UK price is almost three times higher and it makes a trip over to Belgium worthwhile even for an average smoker.....plus it's a pleasant day out.

The anti smoker drinker was cock-a-hoop with glee at the smoking ban. But their glee was short lived as alcohol was next in line for a bashing.

Illegal immigrants are a sore point to discuss here....but yes, to a point you are right! However, many legal immigrants to the UK are now returning to their own countries where living costs are a lot cheaper. For that matter, many 'brits' are also fleeing the UK to live elsewhere as costs here have rocketed. Brittany, Spain and Bulgaria are popular choices.

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
What tickles me with all this immigrants coming over here and taking all our jobs (jobs that the Brits won't do) is, that we don't say a thing about immigrants playing for our top football teams. But that's different of course.

ken

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back