Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Has anyone fitted any of the IMC locks
did you fit them yourselves
and where did you buy them as it appears you cannot buy direct
Interested in any feedback, good or bad, or any other locks that are worth fitting, thinking I need a physical deterrent. We carry six bikes in the garage and I would like to keep them!
Andy

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They would be easy enough to fit on your garage doors,but I was in the security trade before retiring however you need to make sure the keep is well reinforced inside so that the frame and side wall will not give way if forced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They would be easy enough to fit on your garage doors,but I was in the security trade before retiring however you need to make sure the keep is well reinforced inside so that the frame and side wall will not give way if forced.
And then when they try to break in they do mega damage, you can't win, better to rely on good insurance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And then when they try to break in they do mega damage, you can't win, better to rely on good insurance.
... but some of the locks on garage/locker doors are cr@p ... we used to have a Rimor and shortly after we got it I was chatting to a friend at 11.00 pm one night who also had one and said to check how secure the garage doors were as he'd lost some stuff due to them being easy to pull open when locked ... I went on our drive immediately and yes, a small pull and they were open! :eek:

I fitted some Fiamma ones for security but also for the knowledge that the door couldn't accidentally come open whilst travelling! :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No I believe in fitting as a deterrent it will often put off opportunists but if they are determined they will have to work hard and longer giving a better chance of them being caught or spotted, as for damage insurance will still have to deal with either way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
O
... but some of the locks on garage/locker doors are cr@p ... we used to have a Rimor and shortly after we got it I was chatting to a friend at 11.00 pm one night who also had one and said to check how secure the garage doors were as he'd lost some stuff due to them being easy to pull open when locked ... I went on our drive immediately and yes, a small pull and they were open! :eek:

I fitted some Fiamma ones for security but also for the knowledge that the door couldn't accidentally come open whilst travelling! :rolleyes:
As locks go Hymer ones aren't bad Carthago ones look very flimsy just a little plastic latch so I'd agree with you on locks like that.

OP
OP
C

Chablais

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi all
Thanks for your replies, yes the Carthago locks are indeed plastic, so 5 secs to break them.

Lenny, interested in your theory, I reckon some sort of deterrent will put some thieves off, granted not all, at the end of the day plastic windows are the weakest point, so just trying to make the garage take longer to access. It is more the inconvenience of the kit going missing, plus if not locked they are not insured.

Alan, yes, I have experience of fitting locks in a previous life as a joiner, I agree, they are only as strong as the material they are fixed too, that is why the IMC ones are attractive as they bolt thru the van skin to a 4mm thick plate, any face fixed locks screwed to the 1.5mm aluminium van skin would be useless. I have yet to find someone with actual experience of the IMC product.

maybe I am overdoing it, but I think it is better to have at least tried to make the van more secure, than just leave it with plastic locks, not sure I would lock my house or car with the same type of lock!

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back