iMass Instant Water Heater - At last something for the EU Market (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
For months now I've been trying to decide which water heater to buy. We've had most of the usual versions in the past, but this time around hoped to avoid the "motorhome shower" :D

I mean it's not an issue if away for a few weeks, but living in this van we really wanted an instant water heater.

First I looked at the static-type Morco or Bosch units. The Morco is room-sealed, so an easier install and can be side flue'd. But the side flue is quite large and I was concerned about it hitting a branch etc on narrow lanes. The Bosch needs careful ventilation planning and a huge chimney out the roof. Hardly ideal.

After speaking to a lot of dealers about this, I was eventually talked out of this type of heater. The main reason for me was a few main dealers telling me they are just made to flimsy for a motorhome, and therefore dangerous in their opinion. The Morco was especially slated surprisingly.

I then looked into fitting the Alde system with the Alde Flow. A cracking system that would do what we wanted. Alde were very helpful helping planning and then quoting the system. It was £4700 supply only :eek:

In the end we just couldn't fit the rads etc for the Alde into our design. If we could have I think we would have bit the bullet and ordered.

So again, back to the drawing board.

I couldn't find another solution. What really bugged me was in the USA you can easily buy RV specific instant water heater made by the likes of Surburban and ever Truma. But these are not certified for European use due to using too much gas, so not available over here.

Then I found a solution. A company in Germany called iMass have just started producing the first motorhome specific, instant hot water heater that is certified for EU use. It flues like a normal RV water heater, so no need for a big chimney. And it arrived today :)

I know this is a non-issue to most, but the Missus asked me to source a good shower for our van. She doesn't ask for much, so I've tried to fit everything she does want into our new van. Now, with a good pump she gets a proper shower.

Here's a few images:
IMG_20180427_105511.jpg

IMG_20180427_105547.jpg

Very happy with this and looking forward to installing it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the Missus asked me to source a good shower for our van.

the quality of shower is directly proportional to the size of fresh water tank.. rather than the hot water heater..

with a 19lt per min pump, she can now drain a 100 liter tank about 5 minutes :LOL:

but looks good..(y)

we have no trouble in our van getting two good showers from the Truma combi and a 19lt Reich pump

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume its the same as this:

What would concern me is the 20 second delay before you start to get hot water through ... that's actually quite a lot of water as much as 30 litres ...

As soon as the electronics detects a flow at the cold water connection by opening the faucet, or pump activation of more than 1.5 l / min, the burner is started automatically.
After a first "cold start", hot water flows out of the faucet after about 20 seconds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
An instant heater will need a lot of gas. You may need to use a greater bore pipe from the regulator to the heater, with a minimum of sharp bends, to avoid starvation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Wissel Have you started your build yet?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I assume its the same as this:

What would concern me is the 20 second delay before you start to get hot water through ... that's actually quite a lot of water as much as 30 litres ...

As soon as the electronics detects a flow at the cold water connection by opening the faucet, or pump activation of more than 1.5 l / min, the burner is started automatically.
After a first "cold start", hot water flows out of the faucet after about 20 seconds.

It's a typo :)

It's actually 2 seconds, then however long it takes to get through the pipes (the pipe between our shower and the heater will be way under 1m).

@scotjimland 19lpm - wow :D

I'm fitting a 45psi 10 lpm Shurflo and thought that might be over the top :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
An instant heater will need a lot of gas. You may need to use a greater bore pipe from the regulator to the heater, with a minimum of sharp bends, to avoid starvation.

Thanks Rogher. The unit uses up to 765 g/h at full power, which is indeed more than say a Truma Combi 6 @480 g/h max. I'll monitor this, but as it has a 8mm pipe connect hope it will be fine.

@Wissel Have you started your build yet?

Yep at long last :)

I started on the roof yesterday, with fitting my MaxxFan, a Dometic PR4500 awning, a 4G antenna and a few extra solar panels. Still a bit of tidying to do to finish this, but the weather is awful today.

Should all go together quite quickly now I hope.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I imagine that, if your heater cannot achieve the desired output temperature, it will restrict the flow. Unless your water tank is warm, 10lpm may not actually be achieved. You may find a ‘sweet spot’ between 35°C and 70°C, where you are mixing different amounts of water to get the best flow.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It's a typo :)

It's actually 2 seconds, then however long it takes to get through the pipes (the pipe between our shower and the heater will be way under 1m).
That's a relief ... I had visions of your Mrs having a lovely shower and then running out of water whilst she's still in there ... you wouldn't be very popular then! :D

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
that's the standard submersible 19L Reich pump fitted to most Hymers and other continental vans .. there are others with smaller flow rates
That's the one I'd fit. In my experience they're more reliable and higher output than any diaphragm pump.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see gas consumption being a problem as it is only heating the water you are using, where a Trumauses gas to for over 30 min to get the tank up to temp and once you have used some you have to heat the tank again.
If the boss wants a proper shower hence the reason for fitting an instantaneous heater, the question is what size tanker are you going to tow behind? :ROFLMAO:

Anna_H

Free Member
Jul 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hello from a newbie trying to refresh this old post! We've just started our Sprinter conversion and researching hot water options for the shower. I've tried to look for reviews of the IMASS heater and this thread is the only place I can find! Wissel - I'm wondering how you got on with it over the last year? It looks like a really good option. Any feedback would be appreciated :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back