I'm worrying about weight now..... (1 Viewer)

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
......and I hadn't even got a MH yet.
I am restricted to 3500kg due to MH licence and after reading a few posts on here it looks like I may have to reconsider what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for at least a 4birth I will be travelling with my wife, teenager and 8 year old. I'm about 100kg on my own☺️ (Might have to go on a diet) From what I can gather I will be using half the payload on us, leaving very little for water clothing and the rest we will be needing.

Has anyone else had these issues and how do you he over them? Oram I looking at it all wrong?

Thanks for any advice

Paul

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And there I was, thinking they had taken the lead out of paints years ago.

I think 30kg is a little optimistic.....even with lead included. :D
Just checked various Hymer price lists over the last few years & various models and 30kg is what they quote for Silver or Champagne finish which seems odd as it is pre-coated aluminium. It is metallic but 30Kg of fine metal flakes still seems a lot.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just checked various Hymer price lists over the last few years & various models and 30kg is what they quote for Silver or Champagne finish which seems odd as it is pre-coated aluminium. It is metallic but 30Kg of fine metal flakes still seems a lot.

More than likely not just one coat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have a max weight now of 4250kg, any idea what I can upgrade to?
Probably 4500kg but you might have to do some upgrading work on suspension, tyres etc.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
you can DIY the process a lot cheaper @minxy nows all the tricks she is to weights what I am to importing:LOL:
Oi ... I hope you're not trying to imply that I'm a heavyweight! :D

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It seems a lot of weight for a paint job but if you think of a tin of paint you'd use at home for a couple of coats on a wall, the tin is quite heavy, so if you did several coats on a motorhome to get the final finish, 30kg possibly isn't that unrealistic a figure.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a lot of the weight in paint still in the tin is the solvent carrier. these days the paint is mostly water based so that evaporates as the paint cures

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I believe you can uprate your payload, in some cases, without making any modifications - does that make sense?.

Yup, that's exactly what we did - our PVC is built on the 'heavy' Maxi chassis but was only plated at 3500kg, however another funster told me it was a paper exercise to uprate it so I decided to investigate, and that's how I found the chap who I used who is a lot cheaper than SVTech. Our payload was approx 500kg originally, now it's 1250kg! :D

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
a lot of the weight in paint still in the tin is the solvent carrier. these days the paint is mostly water based so that evaporates as the paint cures
... but maybe the 'bright spark' that put the weight down on the specs has taken it from the original weight of the paint before it was applied ...:D

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
... but maybe the 'bright spark' that put the weight down on the specs has taken it from the original weight of the paint before it was applied ...:D
It is a pre coated panel not spayed as such the silver would replace the white so I wouldn't expect it to be that heavy but the GRP front is probably sprayed.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well that's what the books say, and manufacturers rarely overstate their weights
True but I bet it's a typo and should be 3kg in reality.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have checked Hymer price lists going back to 2013 and all models so I don't think so.
... a continual typo ... if its not picked up by someone in the know the first time it is likely never to be in subsequent lists unless a technician or someone knowledgeable reads it which if it is just being typed-up and proofed they wouldn't ... it's amazing what can slip through for years without being spotted!

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It seems a lot of weight for a paint job but if you think of a tin of paint you'd use at home for a couple of coats on a wall, the tin is quite heavy, so if you did several coats on a motorhome to get the final finish, 30kg possibly isn't that unrealistic a figure.
I know it takes about 250kgs of paint to respray a 747 Jumbo :whistle:.
Does that help?
Mind you I don't think that's metallic paint.

Regards Steve

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Now that would be some typo - it appears a good few times.
Is easy to do ... I used to work in a typing services office and even proof reading it wasn't difficult to 'read' what you thought it said rather than what it actually said ... took a lot of concentration!

What do other manufacturer's say the weight is for paint jobs on their MHs?

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A typo on one page for one year? maybe. But this is on multiple pages for multiple years. Very very unlikely.

The top of the roof section of my grey Hymer has an additional white layer of what appears to be ABS (or maybe GRP) bonded on top what is the otherwise grey GRP sandwich roof. It is there to provide a reflective coating to prevent thermal gain. If the whole roof section was made in white (as the standard ones are) you would see it because the junction between roof and side sections is about 6" down from the roof. My guess is that is why they add the white as an additional layer over part but not all of the roof section. And I suspect the vast majority of the additional 30kg is the weight of that additional layer

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Is easy to do ... I used to work in a typing services office and even proof reading it wasn't difficult to 'read' what you thought it said rather than what it actually said ... took a lot of concentration!

What do other manufacturer's say the weight is for paint jobs on their MHs?

I think that you are right! 3.0 kg sounds about right. The metaillic paintwork on your Globecar is 2.5 kg Mel, according to the manufacturer.

The 2.5 kg is the difference between the weight of the standard solid colour and the metallic. The weight of the whole paint job may well be 30 kg.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
... a continual typo ... if its not picked up by someone in the know the first time it is likely never to be in subsequent lists unless a technician or someone knowledgeable reads it which if it is just being typed-up and proofed they wouldn't ... it's amazing what can slip through for years without being spotted!

There are formulas to work it out.

There's a formula for it as well

L x W x density of paint( g/cm3) x 1/1000 = Kgs of paint

30kgs wouldn't be out of the way.

In fact the more you read about paint application & thickness /weight they are doing exceptionally well to keep it down to 30kgs.
Most estimates are 500g per m2 for top coat & 800g/m2 for primers.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not having a Hymer, what are the 'coated' in normally? I assume its a paint job already so surely it can't add ANOTHER 30kg in weight just to change it from the plain colour to the metalic one, assuming it is done instead and not as well!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have a Hymer - see post #84 above for the probable reason.
But that doesn't tell me what the sides are made of/coated in ...

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Vario Mobil quote 20kg for an additional clear coat and 40kg for metallic but these vans are painted as they are not made with pre coloured alloy side panels, I would not have thought it would make such a difference on a Hymer, assuming the side panels are pre coloured but there again our friends older N+B Arto was painted Gold as it was coming off the roof and showing white underneath.

Martin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back