I'm now totally confused - which products to use? (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I will stick my head above the parapet to be shot at but I bet I'm not the only one who is confused. ?

I've looked through the threads on cleaning waxing etc and confess I'm now more confused than when I started! ?

This product is ok for fibreglass but not aluminium, don't use anything on decals, what about glass, no T Cut, yes T Cut is good, don't use stuff on perspex, etc etc ☹️

Use a buffer, no do it by hand, let it dry, no wipe straight off. Is it painted or a gel coat, don't polish too far or you may go right through it ?

Anyway how do you know which panels are made of what? ?

A Class less than 12 months old and I would like to protect it and apply a finish that cleans more easily.

What do I need?

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
I have used the several “Charlies guide to .........” for advice on cleaning etc and have found them always accurate and informative. As you say even something as straight forward as cleaning a Motorhome creates some incredibly polarising and strongly held opinions :giggle:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
T cut is not good for GRP as the solvents can damage it. There is a lot of confusion about. Thats why I sell a GRP restorer polish thats fine on paint, GRP, and many plastics and also sell a polymer wax to protect it after polishing. It can be put on by hand or machine polisher Polish and Wax

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
First of all what does the manufacturer of your MoHo recommend

Dometic who probably make your acrylic windows make cleaners if yo look at the site they also do glass polish but only use this if the glass has a scratch.

look at the auto glym range both for washing and waxing the vehicle and rarely use polish.
AutoGlym also do on line video guides.

I’m sure there will be a zillion responses but the above is a straight forward approach

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have run a motorhome valeting business and can say that Autoglym super resin polish is great to put on and disguised small defects very short term so is great if you are selling the van. If you are keeping the van the polish attracts black streaks and really makes dirt stick to the van quicker than not having wax at all. If you dont believe me do a square under one side of a window and leave it a week.

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
First of all what does the manufacturer of your MoHo recommend

Dometic who probably make your acrylic windows make cleaners if yo look at the site they also do glass polish but only use this if the glass has a scratch.

look at the auto glym range both for washing and waxing the vehicle and rarely use polish.
AutoGlym also do on line video guides.

I’m sure there will be a zillion responses but the above is a straight forward approach
Dethleffs - from their handbook - use washing up liquid ?

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
After reading Charlie's guides I bought a foam lance and foam/water dispersant after wash/micro fibre cloths etc

Experimented on my wife's ex car now inherited by me a very neglected 2012 Vitara which had been in storage for 6 weeks and in my wife's ownership had been washed but never polished or waxed ?

Power washed water only
Snow lance with a car shampoo (as foam hasn't arrived yet)
Used cloth to activate
Washed off
Dried

Not impressed although massively better than when I started.

Did it all again
Used the after wash
Dried

Much cleaner but dried with water markings all over?

Found some mer polish that I've had for years and applied this today.

Much better although the roof is still pretty stained by tree sap and old bird droppings marking the paint.
Lower wings around the wheel arches have tar and accumulated debris on top of paint work which can be felt when polishing or rubbing hand over.
Around door handles lots of 'white' scratches presumably from keys and possibly rings/jewellery. Frustrating as car has remote locking!
Some rust marking on alloys and the side steps runners
IMG_20200331_134420.jpg

Before I go further what are the thoughts on next actions as I'm knackered ?

Cutting polish/t cut/clay?

Graham Pierpoint

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Crewe
Funster No
MH
Elddis 105
Exp
A company called Chome uk in Elworth nr Sandbach Cheshire do a great /full range of cleaning/detailing products in 500ml small spray bottles upwards, one called Embelish that is so easy to use on cars and MH's including GRP

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
A company called Chome uk in Elworth nr Sandbach Cheshire do a great /full range of cleaning/detailing products in 500ml small spray bottles upwards, one called Embelish that is so easy to use on cars and MH's including GRP
Had a look at Chrome UK but I don't think embellish will impact on the issues I have left. Thanks anyway.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
T cut is not good for GRP as the solvents can damage it. There is a lot of confusion about. Thats why I sell a GRP restorer polish thats fine on paint, GRP, and many plastics and also sell a polymer wax to protect it after polishing. It can be put on by hand or machine polisher Polish and Wax

Just bought the pair , via Ebay.(y)
Planning some lockdown polishing the week after this one.
Like the OP, a bit confused by all the preparations and opinions out there.

I need now to look at headlamp surface refurb stuff. Used Autosol quite effectively here.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
After reading Charlie's guides I bought a foam lance and foam/water dispersant after wash/micro fibre cloths etc

Experimented on my wife's ex car now inherited by me a very neglected 2012 Vitara which had been in storage for 6 weeks and in my wife's ownership had been washed but never polished or waxed ?

Power washed water only
Snow lance with a car shampoo (as foam hasn't arrived yet)
Used cloth to activate
Washed off
Dried

Not impressed although massively better than when I started.

Did it all again
Used the after wash
Dried

Much cleaner but dried with water markings all over?

Found some mer polish that I've had for years and applied this today.

Much better although the roof is still pretty stained by tree sap and old bird droppings marking the paint.
Lower wings around the wheel arches have tar and accumulated debris on top of paint work which can be felt when polishing or rubbing hand over.
Around door handles lots of 'white' scratches presumably from keys and possibly rings/jewellery. Frustrating as car has remote locking!
Some rust marking on alloys and the side steps runners
View attachment 373586
Before I go further what are the thoughts on next actions as I'm knackered ?

Cutting polish/t cut/clay?
Clay bar then if you can get your hands on a DA polisher, some decent pads and compounds followed by a good wax should bring it up well, rough guide for me if you can feel a scratch with a finger nail then you won get it out with polisher alone, just take the edges off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back