I'm not wearing that when we get the scooter, she said! (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Greasers wore Belstaff and rockers wore leather and got wet. Everthing I owned was covered in Black slime from them and the trousers, still got wet and in winter could not bend arms and legs as they were solid when cold.

Only people I knew who wore Belstaff were trails riders and the like, certainly none of the guys I hung around with wore Belstaff. From memory I think Belstaff was more used by people living in the country, unlike us who lived on a council estate. That's my own observation from two guys I worked with, both wore Belstaff, or at least wax jackets, and they kept them in good condition, the last thing I would have called them were Greasers. Maybe the term was used differently in other parts of the country, than in Suffolk.

Whatever you wore, as you said you got wet and cold in the winter. :xsad:

Greasers or Rockers to me were both the same and wiki seems to agree with me.
By 1965, the term greaser had also been introduced to Great Britain[4][5][6] and, since then, the terms greaser and rocker have become synonymous within the British Isles although used differently in North America and elsewhere. Rockers were also derisively known as Coffee Bar Cowboys.

Ian

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Wouldn't be seen dead in Belstaff, it was Barbour for us you know :xwink:. Never got wet if you re-waxed at regular intervals but Merilyn hated the black wax under her fingernails every time she wore hers. Barbour overmitts kept the hands dry. However nothing could stop the tears from your eyes from freezing solid.xroll:

Yes you can ride at 60mph in lycra like Techno100 or 150mph in swimming trunks like Rollie Free did on his Vincent, it's perfectly safe. It's only painful when you stop riding ie when you've come off.:xshout:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
When I first started riding helmets weren't compulsory so it was just jacket, jeans and shoes, now on a little old Gilera 125cc scooter I wear safety boots, armoured over trousers, armoured jacket, armoured gloves plus of course a helmet. Funny how your view of getting "Hurt" changes. :xgrin:

Ian

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
If your other halve likes jeans, may I suggest buying HOOD jeans, a U.K. Company in Norfolk, family run, and not only do these jeans have Kevlar, but D30 to protect the knees and thighs. Great for summer and warm day rides. Other wise go to any bike dealer, they have plenty of female clothing, some are even pink:p.

Flooks

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
travelled throughout uk. Ireland and Europe with first our Goldwing 1500 and the a Golding trike. WE both found out that leather were too hot and uncomfortable so we change to top quality Frank Thomas jackets and trousers, could be used all year round as they had removable linings.
They were re enforced in all the right places and when we had a very bad RTA 13 years ago we were both told that wearing the right "gear" saved our lives.
Btw we were in hospital for 14 weeks.
Just make sure that whatever you decide do no buy cheap and only buy from a bona fide motorcycle dealer who will let you try it on to ensure a correct fit, oh and same applies to your helmets to, my helmet ended up with a 4" crack on the top but sure did its job very well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Many thanks for all the advice, to the shop(s) we will go.

And, yes, Encantador, subject to a test ride (when it stops raining) the decision is the Piaggio MP3 500 ABS/ASR 2016! Well, 2015 but bought new in 2016!

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
(when it stops raining)

Could be a while yet then..............(;o)

Mine was delivered, I decided to take it out the first time to a large car park not far away and spent 2 hours getting used to pulling away and stopping (feet down) but using the wheel lock and riding slowly. Then I rode it on quiet roads every day for about 3 weeks before carrying a pillion.

There are not that many places that offer insurance and you cant use the online option because the MP3 isn't catered for. Mine is with Carole Nash, when the schedule arrived it was the standard version that says on it that you have a M/C license, I got them to email me confirming that they were aware that I had not and was riding on my car license.

Not sure if you have considered accessories yet but I would recommend a top box, ideal for shopping, better back rest for the pillion and can take two helmets so you don't have to carry them.

Good Luck

Steve

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Could be a while yet then..............(;o)

Mine was delivered, I decided to take it out the first time to a large car park not far away and spent 2 hours getting used to pulling away and stopping (feet down) but using the wheel lock and riding slowly. Then I rode it on quiet roads every day for about 3 weeks before carrying a pillion.

There are not that many places that offer insurance and you cant use the online option because the MP3 isn't catered for. Mine is with Carole Nash, when the schedule arrived it was the standard version that says on it that you have a M/C license, I got them to email me confirming that they were aware that I had not and was riding on my car license.

Not sure if you have considered accessories yet but I would recommend a top box, ideal for shopping, better back rest for the pillion and can take two helmets so you don't have to carry them.

Good Luck

Steve
lol Thanks Steve, great advice, especially re Carol Nash. I saw a great video (see below) of a guy doing the same learning and after watching him it gave me a lot of confidence.

And definitely, the top box is on my list. What sort of helmets did you go for?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Does anybody remember the TULA advert for Nolan helmets nothing on but body painted leathers with nipples.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This is one of those that I meantBroken Link Removed The other of her on the racing combo is better.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
To get that picture above I googled Biker Chic and this is what came up first........

.....Not quite what I imagined........
up-Q6PD9S8TK0I7B07L.jpg

Fayetteville Biker Chick
I believe this is standard issue down in the deep South, Noo Orleens & suburbs. Gorgeous!

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Have had a few but ended up with full face in the end. Also went with electric gloves and a air bag jacket, being a woooos you understand.....lol

Any decisions on a trailer yet?

As I have neither my Mp3 nor my motorhome the trailer can wait! lol

However, I am hoping to hear from TheTwoOfUs as he's about to try out his Hydra Trail with a 500 any moment now!

By the way, which air bag jacket did you choose. I've seen a few of the videos for Helite this afternoon, after you mentioned yours.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Mine is a Motoair, ended up with two (5XL).

Not tested it and hope I never have to find out if it works..

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As I have neither my Mp3 nor my motorhome the trailer can wait! lol

However, I am hoping to hear from TheTwoOfUs as he's about to try out his Hydra Trail with a 500 any moment now!

By the way, which air bag jacket did you choose. I've seen a few of the videos for Helite this afternoon, after you mentioned yours.
Sorry, didn't get round to it and the m / home has gone back into storage now so it will have to wait.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back