Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We love Italy - it's a pity the Italians don't live in France. I can't say I've seen any worse driving on the Italian Autostrada than on our own motorways, and we've been a few times. Where you really need your wits about you is in town traffic, where they push push push all the time, and the scooters will ride over the top of you and underneath given half a chance. After a bit you adapt and start push push pushing yourself, then things improve because you're a lot bigger than the average Fiat Panda.

I'm not sure I'd attempt the Amalfi coast road in a MH but we've been down it in a coach and in the local service bus, standing room only. It was like Alton Towers - I started putting my arms in the air on the corners.

Off the main motorways the road quality is not good - repairs and potholes everywhere. A bit like here.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Nothing wrong with Italian driving they just add a bit of flair I love it just go with the flow.
You should all try driving in Tibet / China there is only one rule "There Are No Rules" a 40 ton truck will hit you off your motorbike and not even stop.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
yes while roads in the north fine and 4 lane motorways impressive..the further south you go they deteriorate quickly..the far south supposed to be real rough but not been down that far yet....

came upon a real serious accident on a country road in the middle of nowhere, year before last (we go every summer). idiot overtaking side swipped a full family car..both ended up in ditch, loss of limbs the works...got it all on my dash cam as we were in front of que after emergency services arrived. while we may laugh at the idiots. Ultimately its senseless!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Thanks Funsters for putting the Italian experience into context. I've had the forward mounted cannons fitted and the rear fitted razor wire nets too. I drew the line at revolving number plates but thanks to your wealth of experience and knowledge have now been sufficiently emboldened to continue our Odyssey towards Sicily - come what may.

Thanks again all

Ponyboy's last blog
http://slowponyblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/mv-matisse-new-zealand-to-panama/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back