MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I don't have an issue with responsibly disposing of waste by burying it but if you bury yours where someone has already buried theirs, you could really end up in the shit ...

textilefreearea

Free Member
Oct 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644 1990
Exp
10 years on and off
With regards wild camping or site camping my policy is more of a mix and match. I fully understand the 'pumping money' into the local economy argument which I don't have an argument with. However not everyone with a motorhome is independently wealthy (me included!). If I have a budget of say £1,000.00 for a break away (picked that figure at random), I would far rather spend the budget in the local cafe's, shops, museums, sight seeing etc etc than, as somebody else pointed out, on a piece of grass with a tap. It makes no difference to the overall local economy where I have chosen to spend my own cash and don't see why I should be compelled to spend it where I don't want to.
Having said that every 5 days or so even if wild camping I like to stop over on a piece of grass and a tap place to use the facilities for a day (might even have a wash!) ready for the next few days of being in the sticks.
One thing I have noticed is that when parked up off grid somewhere I make a point of a cheery 'hello' to every walker/cyclist that goes by...it costs nothing! I have never had an inappropriate response from any of these people. You are far more likely to end up in a friendly conversation as they show interest in your motorhome. I'm sure there are miserable walkers/cyclists out there but if you exude misery yourself you are bound to get misery in return... don't know where that last sentence came from but I'm sure you get my meaning!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
If you don't want friends requests on Facebook make up a new mail account, with made up name then use that to join Facebook. Seems to work for me. No one knows me and I don't know them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
20201031_192454.jpg

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I’ve read 4 pages of drivel totally bored. Pressing the ignore button bye bye👋👋👋

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
Northern raider love that have you visited the Nietzsche section of the Neues museum in Weimar? Great nearby Stelplatz across the park by the open air swimming pool....a gem for Nietzsche fans

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
If you don't want friends requests on Facebook make up a new mail account, with made up name then use that to join Facebook. Seems to work for me. No one knows me and I don't know them.
I haven't replied to any of the helpful suggestions from you all as I thought I might get 'told off' for going off at a tangent. However I've tried everything (except this last) and still nothing works! OK, now, when you say a new mail account do you mean a new email? Seems that might actually do the job (if I can remember how to get a new one......). Thanks to all of you. Gill.

Apr 26, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I haven't replied to any of the helpful suggestions from you all as I thought I might get 'told off' for going off at a tangent. However I've tried everything (except this last) and still nothing works! OK, now, when you say a new mail account do you mean a new email? Seems that might actually do the job (if I can remember how to get a new one......). Thanks to all of you. Gill.
Yes, get a new mail address in a pseudonym then use this to join face book with any moniker you like. A bit of messing about but worth it. Keep your usual mail address of course for all your normal business. You will still need to go through the usual security to protect your posts etc.

Apr 26, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Ps, Gill when you are happy with the new Facebook account don't forget to cancel the present account. That is another problem in its own right. Dave

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
How is it that social media is so devisive?
Is all social media decisive?
Facebook has such a wide scope that if left unmanaged you’ll end up starting a “farm” type FB game and bugging your ‘friends’ for items, etc.
Or get lots of requests from friends for the same
Or get lots of pictures of what people are about to eat.

The games can be blocked directly. I don’t get any FB game notifications. But I can see friends still play them as they sometimes post to their timeline.

If you stay off Facebook then there’ll be lots of news you miss because some of your real friends & acquaintances only use FB for family or social event planning.

if you stay off Facebook your hobby is missing a great resource of information and related events.

For example, bands & live music is my hobby. Following the bands & venues on FB is a great way to interact with them & get news on new music or tours, etc.

Oh! If you have a “nom nom” friend you can mute them etc.to control their interaction with your timeline.

Blimey, quite a chunk of text and I’ve not mentioned Twitter, Soundcloud, MHF or Instagram 🤔

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
Oh my goodness! Sounds an absolute nightmare! My offspring, grand offspring and great offspring couldn't live without all that but at nearly 80 I prefer pen and paper. Having said that, many years ago, working for BT, I was on the Working Party to introduce 'Electronic Mail' to the general public. I only have myself to blame then !!

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
I've also just noticed I'm wearing odd shoes. Got them out in the dark before coming round to get mum (103) dressed. (Could have put that on Facebook I s'pose......)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Oh my goodness! Sounds an absolute nightmare! My offspring, grand offspring and great offspring couldn't live without all that but at nearly 80 I prefer pen and paper. Having said that, many years ago, working for BT, I was on the Working Party to introduce 'Electronic Mail' to the general public. I only have myself to blame then !!

'Electronic mail' is directed by one person to an addressee(s) not a broadcast for the consumption of anyone tuning in, and with the right to reply. Big difference.

Geoff

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I've also just noticed I'm wearing odd shoes. Got them out in the dark before coming round to get mum (103) dressed. (Could have put that on Facebook I s'pose......)
No! Take a pic of them & post to Social Media with “lolz” added. 👍🏻

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
The 'issues' with Facebook crop up time and time again.

Any problems are entirely down to users not employing the many privacy functions.

Then they come on to forums like this to moan about it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's nothing ... my hubby had his 25th work award ceremony to attend ... just before the group photo I notice he had odd shoes on ... they were different designs but fortunately the same colour ... why he didn't notice when he tied the laces I don't know!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back