I'm Looking for a Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Hi all,
I'm looking for a motorhome a four berth to live in for most of the time (purely for one person). I would like to spend 90 days split on the Shengen allowance in France and Spain, meandering to Morocco for 90 days and then using up the rest of the 90 day Shengen allowance before returning to the UK for the rest of the year.
So now after some good advice from forum members I'm searching online with a little bit more idea of the type of unit I am looking for.
I'm thinking now of ditching the camper van idea that was my initial thought and just concentrating on motor homes.

I like the idea of sleeping above the cabin and having the rest of the room for living quarters without the need of making up a bed every night nor having a fixed fitted bed at the rear if possible. Although as someone mentioned compromises will have to be made. I am able to carry out some changes to an unsuitable interior but not up for a major restoration.

I've spotted a couple in my price range as they seem to be less sought after than the smaller camper vans at the moment and a I intend to use sites relatively long term at a time, with no real jumping from one camp to another really, apart from the getting there.
I suppose the biggest obstacle is the yearly MOT . I've always done my own servicing and work on vehicles but I'm just up to doing basic maintenance nowadays (It's an age thing!)
Unfortunately maximum amount for a unit with not a lot of leeway is £15000

Any advice on makes/models to consider above others gratefully received.

Thanks rattay

OP
OP
rattay
Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Would it be worth looking at left hand drives? They are often cheaper and would be better for you most of the time.
Yes that wouldn't be a problem a left hand drive. I wonder if it increases the insurance price in the UK though?

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No, we’re LHD and insurance wasn’t more expensive. I don’t think LHD vehicles are cheaper than RHD though. We definitely wouldn’t have bought a RHD as we don’t travel much in the UK.

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I'd try and find a continental van as older models were generally better built than UK vans.

With the exception of the autosleepers mentioned above....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rattay
Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Autosleeper Ravenna has all the options you mention
Thanks for that info will keep eyes peeled!

Something like this ?

<Broken link removed>
Yes that's exactly the type I am looking at now. Not sure to be wary of Peugeot ( Me,originating from Coventry and their old rep for corrosion?) That maybe untrue though, I think it goes back to the 1970's and 80's and I would be happy to be told differently, as there seems to be a few Boxers available around my prices.

I'd try and find a continental van as older models were generally better built than UK vans.

With the exception of the autosleepers mentioned above....

Thanks Jamesh, I will keep this in mind.

Fantastic to get some extra info so I can gain knowledge and widen my search. It all gives me a wider choice that is much appreciated.

Later today I will put a list together of makes I've whittled down to look for, and see if any one has any comments to make concerning it?

Thanks again
ratty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Our first ‘van was an AutoSleeper Clubman GL - lovely little van, but too small for us and our 4 dogs. We bought it to give Motorhoming a try, and it certainly didn’t put us off!(y)

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Here’s a link to a German website which might be of interest… good luck in your search!

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Rattay, how old a vehicle did you want to go, I have a 06 plate Fiat Ducato with a Bessaccar E495 6 berth body, layout is a big double bed over cab, dinette which makes into a double bed and 2 settees at the rear which can be used as 2 singles or a double but unfortunately it's a bit over your budget, good luck, copilot

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Thanks for that info will keep eyes peeled!

Yes that's exactly the type I am looking at now. Not sure to be wary of Peugeot ( Me,originating from Coventry and their old rep for corrosion?) That maybe untrue though, I think it goes back to the 1970's and 80's and I would be happy to be told differently, as there seems to be a few Boxers available around my prices.

Thanks Jamesh, I will keep this in mind.

Fantastic to get some extra info so I can gain knowledge and widen my search. It all gives me a wider choice that is much appreciated.

Later today I will put a list together of makes I've whittled down to look for, and see if any one has any comments to make concerning it?

Thanks again
ratty
There is a autosleeper at Albion caravans in idle - Bradford very good dealer.

Not on website but in forecourt last night.

£21000 though

Cheers James

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
this will show you how dangerous ebay can be 115103745990 it looks like motorhome depot are selling this but i doubt it ,first the low price but at the end of the description you will see a email contact this is the scammer not motorhome depot

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back