Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Well ok, perhaps not frightened, but concerned, about getting a motor home.

As you can see from the side bar I am technically blind so the wife does all the driving.

Now dont get me wrong, she is a good driver ( she must be coz she says so :Smile: ) sticks religeously to speed limits and all that....... but she has been known to take corners a bit to sharply and put the back wheels up on the curb, and on one occasion wiped out the side panel of a people carrier scraping a post while doing it. ( only the once )

Motorhomes are long, very long, and that presumably will be an even bigger problem in one of those.

Plus, we will almost certainly want to travel around europe on occasions..... we are getting older by the minute and I am not sure if she will cope with driving on the wrong side. Straight roads will be fine but coming off roundabouts ??????

Did any of you first timers get these problems ?
tell me I am worrying needlessly please :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

C

calypso

Deleted User
get your wife to apply to the caravan club they do a course on how to handle a motorhome,

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
To be honest we had similar misgivings when we first drove on the 'wrong side' but in fact it is very easy actually my wife prefers driving on the 'wrong side' as the roads are better the foriegn drivers are generally better mannered than UK and there is less of them to the square mile than UK - you just need to be aware some country's have different rules on roundabouts and the traffic lights have slightly different sequences / layouts - worth buying a book on it but its something to be enjoyed not worried about. We have driven many thousands of miles abroad solo and towing without worries. Go for it . Relax and enjoy.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Some years ago my wife liked to see how many cats eyes she could squash,,
Did not matter how wide the road was she always seemed to be to far away from the kerb,,,, "Until" I got an old left hand drive yank car, and she was able to keep an eye on the kerb,, and after awhile got over the problem of killing cats eye`s..

Might be worth giving a left hooker a try,, and after a time might over come this problem, other than that as in previous answer.. caravan club course. :thumb:

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
I am sure she will be fine:Smile: The Caravan club course sounds good I might do that myself as the largest thing I have ever driven is a Ford Granada and in the 80's and if I remember rightly I couldnt see over the bonnet.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Nice to see I am not the only one on line this early :Smile:

12 years ago, when we moved house, we hired a tail lift lorry that would be about the size of a motorhome and she did the 20 mile round trip to the new house three times in a day without incident so I am probably worrying about nothing..... but she does sometimes take corners sharper than I would like and if anything drives to close to the kerb rather than squashing cats eyes.

Against that, she reads the road a lot further ahead than anyone else I have ever driven with !!!

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
Well ok, perhaps not frightened, but concerned, about getting a motor home.

As you can see from the side bar I am technically blind so the wife does all the driving.

Now dont get me wrong, she is a good driver ( she must be coz she says so :Smile: ) sticks religeously to speed limits and all that....... but she has been known to take corners a bit to sharply and put the back wheels up on the curb, and on one occasion wiped out the side panel of a people carrier scraping a post while doing it. ( only the once )

Motorhomes are long, very long, and that presumably will be an even bigger problem in one of those.

Plus, we will almost certainly want to travel around europe on occasions..... we are getting older by the minute and I am not sure if she will cope with driving on the wrong side. Straight roads will be fine but coming off roundabouts ??????

Did any of you first timers get these problems ?
tell me I am worrying needlessly please :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hello 6pm Cowboy I have sent you a reply and cannot find it anywhere...have you received it!! I may not be having a good day today:cry:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Like above, courses, hire one?

Wife hoped in and drove our first RV, old 22ft C class, getting on 8 ft wide with no dramas. I've seen loads of women (wifes) driving MHs and never noticed the passenger looking worried:Eeek:

Like most (everyone) on here we're fans of MHs so encouraging others is a given:thumb:

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
I thought open forum ...I replied on the post Quote...but don't worry you are getting lots of good advice......Happy Travelling!!

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hiring

I would second the advice to hire first.We hired a small basic van in New Zealand on the advice of one of the guys I worked with and loved it, then last year we hired in the UK from a company local to us and took the van to Norkapp in Norway returning through Germany,sweden,Finland, Denmark and Amsterdam we did over 3thousand miles in 3 weeks and we were hooked. But what that tought us was what syle of van we wanted.The hire van was great but no fixed table for our maps and the big thing no fixed bed so that is what we wanted.Had we not hired then I think we could of made a mistake, at least your wife will find out what she is comfortable with, and don,t worry about the cornering the van will throw every thing off the seats (including cushions) so it makes you slow down on bends,Bite the bullet we have never looked back we have had Vera 12months now and done 9 thousand miles -Sue

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
tell me I am worrying needlessly please

You are worrying needlessly! :thumb:

('cos it'll be insured:winky:)

...cure the sharp cornering by putting a glass of water on the dash (a sealed bottle, half full will do the same job without the mess....... It's a home-made inclinometer:winky:)

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Go for it, roads excellent and empty compared to uk, only problem I can see is I rely on passenger for advise/help when overtaking or joining roads in France & Spain, if you have impaired vision may be worthwhile ensuring van you buy has good visibily to rear and side to enable wife to judge situation.

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
You are worrying needlessly! :thumb:

('cos it'll be insured:winky:)

...cure the sharp cornering by putting a glass of water on the dash (a sealed bottle, half full will do the same job without the mess....... It's a home-made inclinometer:winky:)

I think it is because she tends to be to close to the curb. Dont want to offend her though she is a damn good driver other than that.

Dont want to lose the no claims either :Smile:

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Go for it, roads excellent and empty compared to uk, only problem I can see is I rely on passenger for advise/help when overtaking or joining roads in France & Spain, if you have impaired vision may be worthwhile ensuring van you buy has good visibily to rear and side to enable wife to judge situation.

Mmmm, she tends to ignore me when I tell her the road is empty..... cant imagine why. :ROFLMAO:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Its like any vehicle, after a bit of practice you get used to it. We worried about narrow roads. Last year we did Cornwall Devon and Somerset and used some very narrow roads. This year we did the Western Isles of Scotland. I now have no worries about narrow roads, in fact I am considering changing to a larger van.

Venita

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi, As a "wifey", I was somewhat reluctant to drive our 23 foot MH but with a little gentle persuassion I bit the bullet! I remember it well - we had an evening meal just on the outskirts of Lyon on a service station. We had intended to stay overnight as there were a few MH and wagons parked up. When we came out, they had all gone and I bottled it. Needless to say, Mr P had had a few glasses of wine and I had no choice but to drive! Then came the babtism of fire - Rush hour traffic, darkness, no idea where to go. I did it though and I was very proud - driving anywhere is no probs now. Hope this helps.:Blush:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Cowboy,

Have a day out in Sussex and have a drive in one of ours, Andy or Lawrence will show her the things to watch out for driving a MotorHome.

Be carefull and dont get conned by salesmen offering VAT free disabled deals as it is extremely unlikely you would qualify and even if the deal went through, Vatman would be on your case.

Good luck.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back