I'm coming round to the 'Drive thru France' to Spain idea..... (1 Viewer)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
After over 13 years of driving through France in December, in the middle of last month I took the Cap Finisterre mid-week (the direct, 24 hour, crossing to Bilbao) crossing and enjoyed it, despite the pain in the wallet.

If I could leave UK earlier, say, 1st October, and drive through France on the tail of good weather, then I would because of the cost saving.

But driving down France in late November/December is hard going.

Norman

PS By the way, the weather in the Cabo de Gata has been fabulous since I arrived!

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Tried a few routes now, Tunnel / various ferries, given where we live pros and cons to all of them. We will use whichever seems best on each occasion depending where we are heading.
I love to do things differently and most importantly keep stress to a minimum ... its supposed to be a holiday. I would rather spend a few pounds more to have a nice day.
Equally I don't bother paying for a luxury cabin if it will be dark and I am arriving late / docking early I won't see much out of the window anyway and I hope to be asleep and arrive refreshed. Save it to spend on another trip. Are the ferries full in winter, could you book last minute after checking the weather via road / sea?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It is a long drive up through France, and the weather can be vicious after the New Year, Gales, Snow, Ice. Crossing the Pyrenees can be a lottery on some days too. (I followed a snow plough in near zero visibility one year). Nice when you get over, but getting there????.

Also Not many Sites are open Jan/Feb. and some Aires are unavailable too. We Over-nighted outside a cemetery in the car park, and outside the gates of a site that was Supposed to be open!! in 4" of snow!. Than goodness for the generator in an R-V!!!.

There is no doubt though that it is cheaper than the North Spain by sea route, up to Ā£400-00 in fact even taking into account the fuel consumption difference between my Current M-H and the R-V it was still a Ā£150 dearer!.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
8 years of going to Spain for the winter.. Every year I do the calculations based on a 20mpg figure ( though apart from when we towed the Smartie we always get better than that )
Every year it comes back the same.. It is cheaper ( and to an extent more fun ) to do the Calais ( or Dunkirk ) route than the Santander / Bilboa route.. And by a fair few bob too !

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I've been in the bay of biscay at the end of April in a mega storm on a Royal carribean cruise ship. We didn't see the captain or crew for 2 days, stabilisers were extended to their fullest, all smaller cruise ships behind us were sent back as they couldn't cope with the 16 metre waves! People less able bodied were asked to stay in their cabins but we still had 3 with broken legs, 2 broken arms and a few with nasty bruises. I'm not sea sick and managed ok but I was so pleased to be on such a fantastic ship. I wouldn't want to go through that on a ferry and the chances of bad weather would be greater in winter months.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
It is a long drive up through France, and the weather can be vicious after the New Year, Gales, Snow, Ice. Crossing the Pyrenees can be a lottery on some days too. (I followed a snow plough in near zero visibility one year). Nice when you get over, but getting there????.

Also Not many Sites are open Jan/Feb. and some Aires are unavailable too. We Over-nighted outside a cemetery in the car park, and outside the gates of a site that was Supposed to be open!! in 4" of snow!. Than goodness for the generator in an R-V!!!.

There is no doubt though that it is cheaper than the North Spain by sea route, up to Ā£400-00 in fact even taking into account the fuel consumption difference between my Current M-H and the R-V it was still a Ā£150 dearer!.

Pete
Spent over a decade in northern Scotland driving and living in snow, gales and sub zero temps, dont need any more of that, Glad I took the ferry option.:xThumb:

Last edited:

Deleted User
Driving through France in Winter is not my idea of relaxing fun......but then neither is a 24 hour crossing in heavy seas.

Luckily we don't have to make that decision we leave our static van in S.Brittany early September and meander through France and Spain to Portugal for most of the Winter and then reverse in May. Always use BF Portsmouth St. Malo though when we return to UK in Summer.

May have to return to UK in March to change vehicles and will be using Santander then, most convenient just hope for good weather, if not lie down in cabin and move about as little as possible, not pleasant but passable.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Having just checked the ferry prices for January I am beginning to think that going via Calais instead of Bilbao is not such a daft idea :rolleyes:

The saving once the cost of diesel is taken into account is approx Ā£200 one way :eek:

Does the panel (hehe, I know you're all out there:whistle:) have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers

:xgrin:
When I checked the prices it was about Ā£230 for the cheap ferry, (6m van) so do you have a really big van & trailer???

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Horses for courses.
We always take the ferry for reasons other than cost:
I don't drive because of bad eyesight so Gwen does all the driving. She suffers badly from an arthritic back so the driving itself is no great pleasure and for us it is worth paying a few bob to save a lot of driving.
Also because of her back we are limited to three hours maximum driving per day (more typically 2 - 2.5 hours) which means taking quite a few days to get down through France. If the weather is bad as it can be occasionally, days and days spent in ice and snow just aren't worth it for us.
As for bad weather, we've done the crossing eight times now and so far only had rough seas for one half of one crossing. We dose ourselves with Sturgeron and sleep most of the way. For that reason we book an inside cabin as there's nowt to look at except water in a more expensive outside cabin. (Inside cabins roll less too).

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I did Barcelona and back last January...... F**king freezing, few places open... if you 'do' France in Winter, get South as quickly as possible, ferry or peage....

(y)

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I did Barcelona and back last January...... F**king freezing, few places open... if you 'do' France in Winter, get South as quickly as possible, ferry or peage....

(y)
This !!! France in Dec/Jan/Feb bl##dy freezing either wet or cold same as UK . I am not a good sailor but bed for 24 hours with a few tablets and its over .

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our friends booked the ferry to Spain earlier this year and in both directions the ferry was cancelled and so ended up having to drive from and to France anyway. They did get compensation but they almost missed the start of a competition they were taking part in.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Wow, a massive response (y)

I should add that my calculations are based on the 'cheapest' ferry on each crossing. This does mean the 'Economie' ferry on the Spanish sailing, if I were to use the 'proper' ferry then the price will increase by another Ā£45 :eek:

I have used 35mpg and Ā£0.75 per litre to work out diesel costs (note for @Judgemental: this assumes I will be driving faster than normal ;) almost at 'JudgeSpeed' :whistle:)

If I were to take a min miles road trip then I would use the Portsmouth/Caen ferry which will add Ā£76 but drive 172 miles less in France (saving Ā£16 in diesel) therefore Ā£60 more than going via Calais.

In summary then:

Dover/Calais to North Spain border ................. Ā£48 ferry + Ā£64 diesel = Ā£112

Portsmouth/Caen to North Spain Border ........Ā£124 ferry + Ā£47 diesel = Ā£171

Portsmouth/Bilbao 'Econimie' .........................Ā£314 ferry no diesel = Ā£314

Portsmouth/Santander 'proper ferry' ...............Ā£359 ferry no diesel = Ā£359

Whilst none of these take into account mileage/wear and tear on the van I think the argument for driving through France is fairly strong (if cost is the promary factor).

Thinking about it ................. I might just go for the middle ground .............. Portsmouth/Caen :)

Of course, I haven't even looked at the tunnel yet but I think the only real advantage there would be speed/time saving (tempting!) .......

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
last 3 trips to Benidorm have been about Ā£200 on fuel each leg. one way on tunnel using frequent traveler Ā£54. I can get there with 3 overnight stops..

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
last 3 trips to Benidorm have been about Ā£200 on fuel each leg. one way on tunnel using frequent traveler Ā£54. I can get there with 3 overnight stops..
A good price on the tunnel Judge (y) but once you have moved to the coast you will have to drive EAST before you can begin your trips :rolleyes: hehe

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think one bit of information being missed is the time on the road ?
Take Judge for instance with his PVC. He will cover ground faster and therefore with less of a tiring time than those with the much bigger vans.
Ok it's not enormous but it's part of the bigger picture that influenced our thoughts when deciding which might be best ?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We came over to Cherbourg from Poole because we wanted to Bimble along through France and Spain and into Portugal where we are now. We wanted to see them all and were in no rush. We have done 1500 miles to get to the algarve from Devon and spent Ā£245 on fuel. only wish we had more time

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I think one bit of information being missed is the time on the road ?
Take Judge for instance with his PVC. He will cover ground faster and therefore with less of a tiring time than those with the much bigger vans.
Ok it's not enormous but it's part of the bigger picture that influenced our thoughts when deciding which might be best ?
I agree (y) My van is same as his but shorter :D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ā£200...........Ā£200 :eek: Crikey Judge, I know you like to drive fast but ......:rolleyes:

That not scientific just looking at fuel receipts. Maybe it's less...We also use tolls to get through parts where no fast alternative.
A16 A63 an example.. Use tolls in Spain as well as dirt cheap. Probably another Ā£40 one way?

First night aim to get past Rouen, second on border, third on the plains of Navarra ...next day we are there

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We came over to Cherbourg from Poole because we wanted to Bimble along through France and Spain and into Portugal where we are now. We wanted to see them all and were in no rush. We have done 1500 miles to get to the algarve from Devon and spent Ā£245 on fuel. only wish we had more time

Yes but, lucky you, you have already done it, before the weather really breaks. I was talking Jan/Feb, when even the southern French (can) take a battering. 2" of snow at Park Verger? one year! Severe gales brought trees down another!. Chasing snow and ice for 2 or 3 days is not enjoyable!!!. trust me I`ve done it!!.

Have a Nice winter though anyway!

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
All this talk of snow and ice is putting us off.... There is no way the ferry is viable ..
I would not worry too much about the weather, how much snow does Cornwall get in January? North West France is not that much different (but milder). I intend to drive down the West coast side of France then into Spain at San Sebastian........ turn left then South towards Valencia.......

It might snow ......... but then again it probably won't (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think there is any doubt the trip is cheaper using one of the shorter ferry crossings and timewise not much in it either if you are happy to drive most of the day. As already mentioned there are other considerations and everyone has to decide for themselves based on their own criteria.

The cheapest way is probably EasyJet or someone like that and a tent, but this won't be for everyone either, because it is a sort of sliding scale, you just need to decide where on the scale you are comfortable. :xgrin:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just realised I left out:

Newhaven/Dieppe ............. Ā£72 for the ferry and Ā£55 for the diesel = Ā£127 (y)

I meant to say prob use this one :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back