I'm allowed to leave the country again! Thank you Passport office!! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well ... nearly!

I needed to renew my passport which was due to expire in February so as I'd heard that it could be renewed online I thought I'd do that to make it quicker than sending in a paper application, so I found the relevant website, filled in the application and managed eventually to get hubby to take a suitable photo to submit with it (you can upload them on-line), once I'd uploaded the photo I clicked through to pay for it then found that I had to send my old passport back BEFORE they would issue a new one! :xdoh: Sort of makes a joke of being able to do it on line as I could simply have filled in a downloaded form! So the only advantage really is that I could negate the need to have a 'hard copy' of a photo to send to them (saving £5 at the photo booth), but still have to wait for my old passport to be received by them before they could issue a new one and then send my old 'cancelled' one back ...

Anyway, I submitted the application on 11th December and sent off my old passport the following day (12th), got an acknowledgement that they'd received my old one on 15th, then this morning (18th) received another email to say it's been approved and a further one at lunchtime to say my new one is on its way! :xThumb:

I must admit I'm extremely impressed by how quickly it has been processed ... if only the DVLA worked so well!!! Just hope it's okay when it arrives in a couple of days and that my 'MAM' is correct!!!! :xrofl:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I had my passport renewal forms and passport checked at the post office and they were sent, with my old passport, on 30th November and I had my new passport in hand on 5th December with my cancelled old passport the following day! Was I impressed! All set for another 10 years.

Now, DVLA here I come to renew my driving licence!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
to get hubby to take a suitable photo to submit with it

So the only advantage really is that I could negate the need to have a 'hard copy' of a photo to send to them

You don't always even need to upload a new photo. You can often use the one they have on record for your driving licence. It works the other way as well - you can use the passport photo they have to renew your driving licence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yep mine was die to expire next October so figured it was safer to do it early , you can do it a year in advance and they just add it on.
I done mine online too had to send the old one back and I had my new one 5 days later so I'm good till October 2028

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You don't always even need to upload a new photo. You can often use the one they have on record for your driving licence. It works the other way as well - you can use the passport photo they have to renew your driving licence.
Downside to that depends when your license one was taken , I did that last time and I have to say i was glad to renew it I've been stopped at airports nearly everytime the last 3 years as my photo looked nothing like me

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Downside to that depends when your license one was taken , I did that last time and I have to say i was glad to renew it I've been stopped at airports nearly everytime the last 3 years as my photo looked nothing like me
Not surprised if you were stopped if your passport picture is the same as your avatar!!!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Still got a paper driving licence as we have been at this address for 24 years so never needed to get a new one. :xgrin:

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
yeah I got mine back at the beginning of the month
5 day turn around
Very efficient
Paper licence here too

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Still got a paper driving licence as we have been at this address for 24 years so never needed to get a new one. :xgrin:

I'm always amazed that they've never bothered closing that little loophole.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Apologises for continuing the toBroken Link Removedpic drift from passports to Driving Licences but I want to refer to the 3 posts(7,8,9) above.

I think that two of them may refer to different 'paper' licences - one to the original paper licence and the other to the 'Counterpart Driving Licence' which was issued alongside the Photocard Licence when that was introduced.

The reason I raise the point is that I am in the process of renewing my over 70 C1 entitlement and am required to send my old licence back. I am currently in Poland and while it is legal, according to DVLA, to drive while an application is processed I think that this probably applies only under UK law and not in other jurisdictions.

I therefore wonder whether one can drive legally in those other jurisdictions using a UK paper licence, but then does it have to be the old-style, because the Counterpart paper licence does not show classes of vehicles one is licensed for.

Back to Topic.

The Passport Office do a one-day turnround for personal attendees at some Passport Offices, for a fee of course. I used it at Globe House, Victoria, London when I was on a flying return visit to London.

One has to make an appointment. I think mine was about 1100. I did not wait long to be seen and handing in the form checking it and paying the fee took about 20 mins. The passport was ready for collection at 1600.

Excellent service if one is near an appropriate office and is prepared to pay the extra fee(24 quid?) I needed to pay as I was flying in/out of UK within 2-3 days.

Geoff

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
my passport was also due in feb I renewed on the web and only took 5 days to arrive the only downside I found was the wife taking my photo it took 5 days for her to take one which would be accepted :xgrin:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not surprised if you were stopped if your passport picture is the same as your avatar!!!
Ho ho ho

I think it was more that I've grown my hair long and lost 5 stone in weight....Not to mention being 9 years older

I mean I'm still a young un now but I was just a nipper 9 years ago

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My new passport arrived back today, not bad service at all ... shame about the photo though ... I'm sure I don't look like that!!! :xgrin:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My new passport arrived back today, not bad service at all ... shame about the photo though ... I'm sure I don't look like that!!! :xgrin:
Well that will certainly raise an eyelid or two at passport control
Screenshot_20171219-165555.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back