Ile De Re is it worth a visit. (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We're currently on Ile D'Oleron and plan on heading off tomorrow, we've enjoyed our stay here but the place is very quiet and I wouldn't want to go to Ile De Re if it was the same. We've been out cycling everyday and really enjoyed it but again everywhere is shut so can't even stop for lunch.

Our other option is to head over to Cahors as we both went there on school trips and would like to go back, we would spent a few days there then slowly work our way back up.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Definately yes it's a lovely island St Martin's La Flotte Ars on Rae all lovely places and mile upon mile of cycle track, it's one of the nicest places we have been.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We ‘did’ Ile d’Oleron a couple of weeks ago....... and didn’t ‘do’ Ile de Re for much the same reason as you state. Also the aires are not so cheap there ( we like free :D2).

Mind you we did go there 5 years ago so did not really want to re run the fun.

Go to Marais Poitevin instead, lovely place (y)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Ile de Re well worth a visit imo but Cahors, too. Might be more open at this time of year. Good local cuisine to be had. There's this dish which several beers and half a bottle of red have wiped from my brain, which is essentially, really smooth and cheesy mashed potato with super sizzled sausages. Yum! Also, look out for Chateau Eugenie wine nearby. Unassuming place but seriously impressive reds.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the quick replies.

@Carol yes I believe it's a beautiful place my worry is its the same as here and all closed for the winter, although I think this place is lovely it's just to quiet at this time of year.

@ShiftZZ id just looked at that campsite, have you been in October ?

@Chockswahay thanks for that we may leave Ile de re for another time, if we do we will have to miss Marais Poitevin also.

@tony_g thanks for the reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Yes it could be, well worth a visit but maybe not this time of the year.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the quick replies.

@Carol yes I believe it's a beautiful place my worry is its the same as here and all closed for the winter, although I think this place is lovely it's just to quiet at this time of year.

@ShiftZZ id just looked at that campsite, have you been in October ?

@Chockswahay thanks for that we may leave Ile de re for another time, if we do we will have to miss Marais Poitevin also.

@tony_g thanks for the reply.
We were there in September, late.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've done Ile d'Oleron but not Ile De Re as we couldn't see what the latter had to offer that the former didn't ... plus the toll to get to Ile De Re is silly.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Done both Ille de re and olleron and prefer Ille de re as it was prettier and busier - however, we went during the summer so not sure what it would be like out of season. Remember that there’s a toll for Re.

We went back to Les Sables D’Olone this year and it was only 3 weeks earlier than the previous year and there was a massive difference to atmosphere and it being busy. Last year was buzzing. This year it lacked everything and we was left disappointed.
We’ve not been to Cahors so couldn’t advise on the comparison with there.
Hope you have a great remainder of your trip wherever you decide on.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We've done Ile d'Oleron but not Ile De Re as we couldn't see what the latter had to offer that the former didn't ... plus the toll to get to Ile De Re is silly.
We’ve done both twice. Each island is lovely in a different way. Looks to me as if people do the Oleron because it’s free to get on, but for us Re wins hands down and is well worth the toll fee. I wouldn’t expect to stay anywhere on either island for free - with ACSI and Aires rates comparable to other parts of France they are both good value. You pay tolls all over France, so to not visit Re because of a toll is IMO a missed opportunity.

Oleron is more ‘workaday’ but still a lovely island (there is also a Uke luthier there so it gets my vote) but the beaches can’t compare to Re.

October probably not the best time to visit either island, but in Spring and Summer they are both stunning.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Done both as ShiftZZ says I’ll de Ré great place, camping Essi great beach restaurant nearby, Arse en reh walkable, prefer it to Oleron which seems much more built up until you get to the far end at St Dennis which is ok, toll is about €8 after about the 10th September, if your worried about the toll then you won’t want to pay for a campsite, wilding is very limited and I would imagine it’s very quiet come mid October!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@lorger just a thought for you.....

Brouage is nice to visit and only a few miles from you now, the Aire is just outside the fort.

Are you sure about not having enough time? Cahors is 193 miles South East of Oléron and Coulon only 53 miles Norrh East

Just sayin :rolleyes:

:D2

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replies, even though I'm Scottish the tolls wouldn't put me off and I would be looking for a site or Aire. I asked the question because I didn't want to go if it's all shut up like this place.

@Chockswahay i meant if I visit Cahors I then wouldn't have the time as I'd be coming home via a different route to Marais Poitevin.

We still haven't made up our mind and will decide as we drive over the bridge :)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replies we decided to head for Cahors and will visit Ile de re some other time, we are currently in the Aire at the lovely village of Monpazier. We will probably head for Cahors tomorrow sometime.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Visited Cahors earlier this year and drove through it yesterday. Didn't stop, best way. Ideal for shopping on the outskirts , but........
Two aires. One is on tarmac by the river. About four or five places for shorter vans, 7.5m or less. The other is in a mixed carat and is at best, scabby. There are a lot of nicer places to visit and stay.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We stayed on the small one a few years ago, deffo OK for a smaller van (we were 6m). From memory it was OK for a stopover :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We always go to Cahors if we are anywhere near. Love it, and especially the lovely lunch restaurant we found near the special bridge. Only open at lunch, but wonderful value, around 14 euros for a set menu of 3 courses and always good. When we first found it several years ago it was mainly workmen eating there. Now it's mainly older people and tourists. . Enjoy!! If you go there, go on further to the aire at St Cirqe La Popie and visit the Museum du Vin. Another excellent place to buy all sorts of wonderful food/drink. Say hello to Emilie there and give her our regards, we were there a couple of weeks ago and bought a lot of stuff including expensive Armagnac and Vieille Pruneau. We loved the Ile de Re!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back