Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We're off to Ile de Re in the summer.
From what we've seen this is a great place to get around by bike.
I've had a bit of a look for the cost of hire but from what I've found the prices are around 30E per week.
Does this sound about right?

Taking our own would seem a no-brainer but the extra length with te cycle rack make the ferry slightly more, plus 4 bikes on the back makes a big difference to the available payload, hence considering hiring.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the prices are around 30E per week.
Does this sound about right?

Taking our own would seem a no-brainer but the extra length with te cycle rack make the ferry slightly more, plus 4 bikes on the back makes a big difference to the available payload, hence considering hiring.

I made this mistake two years ago. Main holiday was to be a campsite across from Venice, so bright spark said "no need to take ours". W R O N G. Not only were there many other places we should have had them but the campsite was charging something like €9 for half a day.

€30 a week for 4 is €120 ( and I didn't use a calculator ) would the ferry charge this much ?

Can't argue with your weight logic though.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I gather there is no parking for motorhomes on the Il De Re except for designated campsites.
But there is a good free parking area on the mainland side of the bridge in both directions going towards the bridge is smaller, but better lit and right next to the all night ofice so perhaps the safest overnight stop. I recently overnighted there and cycled over the bridge. :thumb: The parking area going in the other direction is larger with a better view. You can access both parking areas without going over the bridge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Paul, sounds very cheap to me TBH.
Normally about 9e+ for half a day in the busy touristy rip off places of France.:Sad:

I would take your own. It wont matter on the ferry, in 5 years of crossings at at least 2 per year, never have I had to pay extra and I have never been truthfull about the length of my van.
Personally I would use the money to go toward the £270 it will cost to get the payload increased on your van. at 30e x 4 relying on Hilldwellers maths being right that only leaves a further £150 to find:thumb::ROFLMAO:

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
From what i've seen there are two motor home sites.

The first is by the beach wall just after L'Ocean camp-site in the the centre of this linked page

The other is motor home parking just after the entrance to the camp-site "Les balcons Verts" here at the tip of the island

I'm not sure if they are free though.

As for bikes, take them, definitely. They rule on this island

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
The other thing to remember about bikes is that hire ones will never be as good ( ie as comfortable) as your own and probably not as well maintained.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
From what i've seen there are two motor home sites.

The first is by the beach wall just after L'Ocean camp-site in the the centre of this linked page

The other is motor home parking just after the entrance to the camp-site "Les balcons Verts" here at the tip of the island

I'm not sure if they are free though.

As for bikes, take them, definitely. They rule on this island

Thanks for the info :thumb: When you drive up to the bridge there are signs showing restrictions on motorhoming on the island (it seems to be a sore point with some nimbys like it is in England http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/10/france.france ) but as I was driving I didn't get time to read the signs fully (and having a stealth camper I usually ignore them anyway) As I only had limited time and my main interest was seeing the bridge and the view from it, I just parked on the mainland side and cycled over it (free)

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
So I think it's gonna our own bikes that win. The ones that I had seen were prices from and single speed ones.
The ferry was gonna beabout an extra £30 I think, but looking at it if I state the length as 10cm shorter then there is no extra....so I'm sure it's just that I'm not very good at measuring!!:winky:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Paul, sounds very cheap to me TBH.
Normally about 9e+ for half a day in the busy touristy rip off places of France.:Sad:

I would take your own. It wont matter on the ferry, in 5 years of crossings at at least 2 per year, never have I had to pay extra and I have never been truthfull about the length of my van.
Personally I would use the money to go toward the £270 it will cost to get the payload increased on your van. at 30e x 4 relying on Hilldwellers maths being right that only leaves a further £150 to find:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Hi, the prices for short term hire is exensive, for example the samecompany charging 30e for the week charge 3.5e for an hour:Eeek:

I would love to increase the payload of the van.....in fact we have just been looking at getting a newer, bigger van. Problem being the stupid licence categories, and the change in 1997 at whih time I was too young to drive.......means a extra grand + and a week off to do test so I can drive something over 3.5t. Makes me mad:Angry:, but that's another matter

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
.means a extra grand + and a week off to do test so I can drive something over 3.5t.

It also costs me about £100 for 15 minutes of the Doctor's time to do the medical every 5 years (I think its every year when you are over 65?)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Errpaul

I know it would be a faff, but you couldn't you break the bikes down and put them inside for the ferry crossing then stop at an aire once in France and put them back on the rack.

Just a thought

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Ile de re

There are several aires on the island, you can get details from the tourist office, we stopped on a new one last year which was next to a campsite, I think it was 7euros.The dearest part was the cost of the toll to cross the bridge.Bikes are a must as this is the best way to see the countryside, the cycle paths are very good

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back