ikea units

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Ian Paul, May 8, 2018.

1. Ian Paul

Ian Paul Funster

Ratings:
    +26
    I am thinking of saving a lot of time of buying ikea units for my kitchen area in the van, time and costs saving against diy using 5mm ply, your thoughts please, anyone used B&Q or ikea cabinets in their campervan ?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +35,599
    in a word .. weight ..

MDF is much heavier than 5mm plywood , eating into payload.

alternative is to buy a written off or old/cheap caravan and use the cabinets from it.. you will also get appliances such as a cooker hob, sink etc that may be in good working order

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,063
    Nothing more to say, as Jim sums it up.... WEIGHT..

A 60cm base cabinet is 18.5kg and thats without a door or any worktop..
    Ok if you are converting something like a 7.5t truck, seen them fitted in those.

4. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +5,185
    Yes the IKEA cabinets will be loads heavier. I cut a square out of my cabinet wood for a fused spur and it's extremely light like cardboard with gaps in the lamination. But still strong, special stuff.

5. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Ratings:
    +11,300
    They'll weigh a ton. Lifting IKEA flat pack boxes is bad enough, fitting them into a van wIll take that weight off your payload

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,920
    Agree with the weight problems. Motorhome cupboards are now made of very lightweight materials. Also size will be another problem. They are too big

7. WillH

WillH Funster

Ratings:
    +3,219
    As above, weight penalty is too much unless you are using a truck as a base vehicle.

8. Ian Paul

Ian Paul Funster

Ratings:
    +26
    5 years ago I owned a brand new swift motorhome, the kitchen area was 50cm depth and many of the cabinets where flimsy after constant daily use, so now in my 3.5 ton work van Iveco daily, im going to fit a proper kitchen you can cook at. Weights not a problem until the wife come on board 1

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +5,185
    Our 2014 Elddis is great inside, certainly looks and feels as strong as any house kitchen, but smaller cupboards. The worktop looks full thickness, it may have hollows inside but you can't tell. You need the proper materials not chipboard. Even if your van can take the weight it will be slower and use more diesel.

10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,755
    A breaker caravan will give you not only units, but doors, cushions, furnishings, windows, roof vents, electrics, plumbing bits, cooker, taps, sinks ... lots and lots of stuff that will cost you if you have to buy them separately ... so if you can get a good caravan you'll save yourself a lot of money, it's just a matter of getting one with the bits and bobs in it that you can use to make the layout you want. Once you stripped it out for your bits you can then sell on what's left and/or just the chassis.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +31,171
    I think you're in for a rude awakening.
    3.5t sounds a lot but in the real work it's bugger all.
    Average 3.5t motorhome will only allow around 1/2ton payload using motorhome specific (lightweight) fixtures and fittings.
    Start adding domestic fixtures (heavy) and the weight will increase, and the payload decrease, dramatically......unless all you're doing is chucking a mattress on the floor and a couple of deck chairs to sit on.

It's ok being nonchalant about weight but it's a different story when you get a spot check by VOSA at the roadside and you aren't allowed to continue

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,918
    i dont know where you got that figure from papa a 3500gross ducato has a payload of about 1.5 tonnes mine weighed 2800 after conversion

13. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +5,185
    You've got 700 payload then? Similar ish :)

14. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Ratings:
    +5,727
    Hi.
    With @Minxy Girl.But if i remember rightly,there was also a.
    company that supplied lightweight "Flat Pack units" and fittings for fixing in various PVC's off the peg? .Was it on Wheeler dealer or some Cara/moho prog?
    Tea Bag

15. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,753
    Have a word with Terry - I recall he had some cupboard doors etc for sale not that long ago and may well have other bits and pieces that are suitable.

16. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,918
    it also depend how many cupboard your fitting my sons t4 we used ikea top cupboards as base units just three units did the van so the saving on weight wouldnt be much what van are you converting ian?

17. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +14,009
    Weight aside they look crap too:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Ducto

Ducto Funster

Ratings:
    +363
    Agree on weight issue
    Simple to use Vohringer lightweight ply, the plastic corner lengths are simple to cut and ply slots in. If you're standing to cook create unit to good height for you -easy

Buy one of these: https://tinyurl.com/ycr8g7sy
    and learn to cook with it. You can do everything you can in an oven. I prepare and cooked roast lamb and veg on Christmas day for lunch. Brilliant kit.

Always find it odd that everybody wants to pack their vehicles as if it was a home kitchen. Make it simple, love the space

Good luck

• Informative Informative x 1