ikea units (1 Viewer)

Ian Paul

Free Member
Apr 24, 2018
Funster No
I am thinking of saving a lot of time of buying ikea units for my kitchen area in the van, time and costs saving against diy using 5mm ply, your thoughts please, anyone used B&Q or ikea cabinets in their campervan ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Nothing more to say, as Jim sums it up.... WEIGHT..

A 60cm base cabinet is 18.5kg and thats without a door or any worktop..
Ok if you are converting something like a 7.5t truck, seen them fitted in those.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes the IKEA cabinets will be loads heavier. I cut a square out of my cabinet wood for a fused spur and it's extremely light like cardboard with gaps in the lamination. But still strong, special stuff.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
They'll weigh a ton. Lifting IKEA flat pack boxes is bad enough, fitting them into a van wIll take that weight off your payload

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Agree with the weight problems. Motorhome cupboards are now made of very lightweight materials. Also size will be another problem. They are too big

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As above, weight penalty is too much unless you are using a truck as a base vehicle.

OP
OP
Ian Paul

Ian Paul

Free Member
Apr 24, 2018
Funster No
5 years ago I owned a brand new swift motorhome, the kitchen area was 50cm depth and many of the cabinets where flimsy after constant daily use, so now in my 3.5 ton work van Iveco daily, im going to fit a proper kitchen you can cook at. Weights not a problem until the wife come on board 1

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
5 years ago I owned a brand new swift motorhome, the kitchen area was 50cm depth and many of the cabinets where flimsy after constant daily use, so now in my 3.5 ton work van Iveco daily, im going to fit a proper kitchen you can cook at. Weights not a problem until the wife come on board 1
Our 2014 Elddis is great inside, certainly looks and feels as strong as any house kitchen, but smaller cupboards. The worktop looks full thickness, it may have hollows inside but you can't tell. You need the proper materials not chipboard. Even if your van can take the weight it will be slower and use more diesel.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A breaker caravan will give you not only units, but doors, cushions, furnishings, windows, roof vents, electrics, plumbing bits, cooker, taps, sinks ... lots and lots of stuff that will cost you if you have to buy them separately ... so if you can get a good caravan you'll save yourself a lot of money, it's just a matter of getting one with the bits and bobs in it that you can use to make the layout you want. Once you stripped it out for your bits you can then sell on what's left and/or just the chassis.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
im going to fit a proper kitchen you can cook at. Weights not a problem
I think you're in for a rude awakening.
3.5t sounds a lot but in the real work it's bugger all.
Average 3.5t motorhome will only allow around 1/2ton payload using motorhome specific (lightweight) fixtures and fittings.
Start adding domestic fixtures (heavy) and the weight will increase, and the payload decrease, dramatically......unless all you're doing is chucking a mattress on the floor and a couple of deck chairs to sit on.

It's ok being nonchalant about weight but it's a different story when you get a spot check by VOSA at the roadside and you aren't allowed to continue

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I think you're in for a rude awakening.
3.5t sounds a lot but in the real work it's bugger all.
Average 3.5t motorhome will only allow around 1/2ton payload using motorhome specific (lightweight) fixtures and fittings.
Start adding domestic fixtures (heavy) and the weight will increase, and the payload decrease, dramatically......unless all you're doing is chucking a mattress on the floor and a couple of deck chairs to sit on.

It's ok being nonchalant about weight but it's a different story when you get a spot check by VOSA at the roadside and you aren't allowed to continue
i dont know where you got that figure from papa a 3500gross ducato has a payload of about 1.5 tonnes mine weighed 2800 after conversion

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
With @Minxy Girl.But if i remember rightly,there was also a.
company that supplied lightweight "Flat Pack units" and fittings for fixing in various PVC's off the peg? .Was it on Wheeler dealer or some Cara/moho prog?
Tea Bag

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have a word with Terry - I recall he had some cupboard doors etc for sale not that long ago and may well have other bits and pieces that are suitable.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
it also depend how many cupboard your fitting my sons t4 we used ikea top cupboards as base units just three units did the van so the saving on weight wouldnt be much what van are you converting ian?

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
I am thinking of saving a lot of time of buying ikea units for my kitchen area in the van, time and costs saving against diy using 5mm ply, your thoughts please, anyone used B&Q or ikea cabinets in their campervan ?
Agree on weight issue
Simple to use Vohringer lightweight ply, the plastic corner lengths are simple to cut and ply slots in. If you're standing to cook create unit to good height for you -easy

Buy one of these: https://tinyurl.com/ycr8g7sy
and learn to cook with it. You can do everything you can in an oven. I prepare and cooked roast lamb and veg on Christmas day for lunch. Brilliant kit.

Always find it odd that everybody wants to pack their vehicles as if it was a home kitchen. Make it simple, love the space

Good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back