IH Motorhome - any owners on this site? (2 Viewers)

Aug 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
Thinking of downsizing from our old Hymer 544. We are thinking of IH as they are not as wide! Other makes of panel vans aren’t for us as my other half refuses to have a panel van with a sliding door. We are therefore limiting ourselves to a N class IH, we also want a shorter van so prefer 600N RL. Would prefer a used van but they are few and far between.
May have to buy new, but this is a big financial commitment.
What do IH owners think of their vans? Are you happy with them? Any comments appreciated.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
We were happy with ours 630 RL version was just making the beds each evening and storing the cushions in the cab area well made and good back up service but has you have said very expensive and dealers not falling over themselves to part exchange because of the price
IH have an N class rear lounge at the moment 75k used and not the best colour good luck with your hunt

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Personally I think that the hab door set into the sliding door that IH do looks ridiculous as well as expensive. If you don’t want a sliding door then look at the compact coachbuilt ones that are almost the same width as the cab.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
“other half refuses to have a panel van with a sliding door.”

Why? It’s great to have open, brIngs the outdoors inside. Hire one for a week and see how you get on. If it’s the slide/clang which puts him off get one with the close assist.

Agree the hab door inset into the sliding door space looks very odd. Removes one of the best features of the pvc in my opinion.

Others will say the opposite of course but only listen to those who have used and lived with a sliding door, their feedback should be valued and they will have valid reasons it’s not for them.

Unfortunately too many keyboard warriors on this site slag something off when they haven’t actually experienced it themselves. 😀

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We've got an older 6m ih and absolutely love it.

But think the newer one's with the "Caravan" style door are a bit, mmmm.

Upvote 0
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Sometimes the cap fits. I’ve read some pretty dodgy advice given by those who have not actually experienced the issue at hand.

That said I’ve received some very valuable advice when I’ve hit a problem and an experienced poster has helped me out.

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Sue, I’ve had 5 IH’s over the years, including a sliding door RL and an N class RL with the side panel. Neither is better or worse, they are just different. The N class will also come with the GRP rear panel with opening boot, so no rear opening doors. We felt that the N class had the feel of a mini A class, warmer at the front, nice separate front lounge and slightly larger kitchen. Downside against an RL is no open door inside out feeling, no through draft with rear doors open etc. So not better, just what you like the most.
IH quality, choice and after sales service is first class, you will soon know those who built and maintain your vehicle on a personal basis, if that’s important to you. They are expensive, But you get what you pay for.
Best wishes in whatever you decide, if you are looking for a used van give Nicola Hartley a call, she will tell you what they have coming in on forward orders, just be careful, I’ve found it can be expensive talking to her!!😀

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
We also changed from a Hymer B544 because I just didn't like driving such a big vehicle. For many years my husband said he didn't want a van with a sliding door but eventually he was won over by the sheer quality of the Vantage Sol. The rear lounge is as cosy as the Hymer -so far we have not had it long enough enjoy a summer with the open big door but its certainly not draughty in winter and we both love it. I'm much happier with driving a PVC, the storage is less of course but maybe we didn't need to cart a badminton net around for 8 years.... Suggest to your wife that she try sitting in a PVC on a nice summer day, she might change her mind!

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We also changed from a Hymer B544 because I just didn't like driving such a big vehicle. For many years my husband said he didn't want a van with a sliding door but eventually he was won over by the sheer quality of the Vantage Sol. The rear lounge is as cosy as the Hymer -so far we have not had it long enough enjoy a summer with the open big door but its certainly not draughty in winter and we both love it. I'm much happier with driving a PVC, the storage is less of course but maybe we didn't need to cart a badminton net around for 8 years.... Suggest to your wife that she try sitting in a PVC on a nice summer day, she might change her mind!
you don’t know what your talking about.
We have carried our badminton net and our swingball for 9 countrys and 40000 miles and used it at least once 😂😂😂😂…..
Ok maybe you do know what your talking about.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If your other half doesn’t want the hassle of a sliding door banging shut, buy a sensibly priced PVC and get one of these fitted
would be far cheaper than a new IH van

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are on our second IH630RD and only changed because we wanted an automatic and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if we got tempted with a third in a year or two! Riverbankannie has the same van. We are both great fans.

Aftersales is great, John replaced Carol last year and he is just as helpful. They always get back to you.

We like the sliding door but I must admit there are times when the weather is terrible when I think I’d really like an N class. I don’t think they look horrible at all.

Obviously IH type PVCs are expensive and yes you can get get cheaper vans for your money but if you have the money then why not get what you want. If your hobby was motorbikes or classic cars and you had the money you wouldn’t let a few grumpy funsters put you off buying a van you really fancied!

I even got Ian Hartley to do a couple of modifications on our second van in the kitchen which has made it so much more user friendly. The only thing I don’t like is the drop down sink in the bathroom but who would! We’re only fairly slim and if there was a fixed sink it would make using the shower almost impossible to turn round in and we use the shower daily especially in Covid times.

I wouldn’t dismiss the slightly longer version. That extra 40cm seems to make a huge difference, Nick loves what he calls his man cave. There are two long cupboards divided by a little shelf. When the two front seats are turned round it makes a nice separate lounge especially if you tend to have separate getting up times. I would imagine it would make a big difference if you have pets.

The over cab storage is enormous and has a locker door which is unusual and is therefore nice and tidy and stops stuff falling out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
We had several coach built motor homes before we got our ih Nclass 630 , we drove a 600 and then the 630 , to be honest we did not notice the difference driving or parking, but living space was much better in the 630 ,the habitation door is a personal thing as is the boot on the back , if you buy new you can pick and choose what you want and where ,and the build quality is excellent, all our stuff fitted in from the 7.4 meter Bailey on hand over , and as mentioned above the Aftersales is 100% with no crafty dealers giving you the runaround,after you have parted with your money , and yes we did meet the people who built our van , so to sum up we bought new three and a half years ago , and have never regretted it, we had hab door and boot because WE wanted it , and not because other people who don’t own an ih said this or that , its your money , you do what you want with it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Aug 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
If your other half doesn’t want the hassle of a sliding door banging shut, buy a sensibly priced PVC and get one of these fitted
would be far cheaper than a new IH van
Hello, yes it is the issue of a sliding door that is the problem. After a long internet search I found this item, but many people stated that it couldn't be retro-fitted and that fittings/furniture of a motorhome get in the way. Have you used one?

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hello, yes it is the issue of a sliding door that is the problem. After a long internet search I found this item, but many people stated that it couldn't be retro-fitted and that fittings/furniture of a motorhome get in the way. Have you used one?
Not yet, I have been measuring up to work out how to cut the rear panel of my kitchen unit and what draw space woukd be lost. My water pump sits under the sink unit and it is this that will need altering, but any competent cabinet maker or convertor shoukd be able to retro fit the motor unit. I am hoping to power it from the same source as the Thule electric step so as I press to open door, step will pop out to.

I have seen one fitted and they are very quiet and soft closing, none of the slamming needed.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Unfortunately too many keyboard warriors on this site slag something off when they haven’t actually experienced it themselves.
Some learn from the experience of others. Some only learn from their own experience. Some don't even learn from their own experience.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
“other half refuses to have a panel van with a sliding door.”

Why? It’s great to have open, brIngs the outdoors inside. Hire one for a week and see how you get on. If it’s the slide/clang which puts him off get one with the close assist.

Agree the hab door inset into the sliding door space looks very odd. Removes one of the best features of the pvc in my opinion.

Others will say the opposite of course but only listen to those who have used and lived with a sliding door, their feedback should be valued and they will have valid reasons it’s not for them.

Unfortunately too many keyboard warriors on this site slag something off when they haven’t actually experienced it themselves. 😀
ref your 4th para and users of sliding doors, I am with you I like having ours open sometimes with the fly screen across as you get a nice flow of air through the van. Some people worry about the noise they cause when closing the door especially early or late at night, but overall they are very useful. One thing that was mentioned a little while ago, is if you have a narrow side door like the IH and no back door, how to you remove your fridge if it needs replacing? Just a thought.😙

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back