Ignition key coding (1 Viewer)

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Hello - does anyone know what is involved in coding of spare ignition keys? Is this something that has to be done in a workshop with special electronic diagnostic kit - or can it be done remotely with a laptop/tablet?
Reason I ask is that when our new Dethleffs MH was collected from the dealer by a delivery firm, the driver was told that one of the sets of keys (ignition and hab) was missing and that another set had been ordered and would be sent on to us. They knew at the time that we were (and still are) shielding because Mrs KRO is extremely vulnerable with a lung issue.
Having reminded them, we are now told that the keys are in but work has to be done on site 3 hours away as it's warranty work (not sure it is as its not a vehicle fault?) - they can't come to us apparently - nor can we arrange with a local dealer either. I can't take the MH to them for the health reasons mentioned above and if this was something that CAN be done remotely, I can arrange a contactless visit here - after all it is their cock up and knowing our position on purchase, they should have let us know and asked if we wanted to delay delivery for a short while.
Thanks all

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I had a key go faulty on a Peugeot 107 once..

Local guy on the market did it..
Used the spare key to copy the code then re-wrote it onto a small chip that went back into the faulty key.
Less than 10 mins think it was £30.. He said he felt guilty about the charge but the program cost a lot, which i understand (y)

I took the car but that was more so that i could try the key there and then. Could have been done without the vehicle.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
A local locksmith can usually help. See if the dealer will pay that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Keep Right On
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Hello - does anyone know what is involved in coding of spare ignition keys? Is this something that has to be done in a workshop with special electronic diagnostic kit - or can it be done remotely with a laptop/tablet?
Reason I ask is that when our new Dethleffs MH was collected from the dealer by a delivery firm, the driver was told that one of the sets of keys (ignition and hab) was missing and that another set had been ordered and would be sent on to us. They knew at the time that we were (and still are) shielding because Mrs KRO is extremely vulnerable with a lung issue.
Having reminded them, we are now told that the keys are in but work has to be done on site 3 hours away as it's warranty work (not sure it is as its not a vehicle fault?) - they can't come to us apparently - nor can we arrange with a local dealer either. I can't take the MH to them for the health reasons mentioned above and if this was something that CAN be done remotely, I can arrange a contactless visit here - after all it is their cock up and knowing our position on purchase, they should have let us know and asked if we wanted to delay delivery for a short while.
Thanks all
Thanks for the suggestions so far - I should have added its on a Ducato base

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Did you not receive the key card with the new van (it is European built not uk?) fiat should be able to provide a new key from this info. The min the delear could do is provide the info ( and pay for) for a local fiat delear to get a key.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A decent locksmith will have the equipment to do it from the back of their van. A friend of mine bases most of his business on this. He goes out to dealerships and auction houses to recode keys for re-possessed vehicles

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
There's basically two ways of doing it;
1) make a copy of the chip in an existing key; the car doesn't know which key is in use as they are exactly the same
2) tell the car to recognise an additional chip so it knows it has more than one key.

The first method, if possible (depends on the vehicle) can just be done with a working key. Timpsons can do that.
The second needs access to the vehicle, at least one working key (sometimes a special "red" one) and maybe programming tools.

One of my older cars you just needed to turn the ignition on and off five times with a working key, with the driver's door open, then press one of the dashboard buttons, then insert each key you wanted to use in turn. Or some similar incantation - didn't need any special tools, just had to know the steps of the dance you had to do.
On one of my motorbikes where I looked into this as I had a failing key you have to short out a pin in the wiring loom with a working key inserted, then insert additional ones. I got a new key cut and just transferred the chip.
My current car needs you to have a diagnostic tool and at least one working key. Annoyingly on that you can't disable keys - the previous owner had lost a set of keys so I bought a new key and programmed it myself, but couldn't disable his. A while later he did find them and so I now have all programmed keys for the car.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
When we bought your dethleffs we wanted a third key . The dealer arranged this with the fiat dealer and the van had to go to the workshop for this to be done. I believe all keys need to be present at the time off programming extra keys.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If you could see this post then this is how MES would do it for you

This procedure allows the programming of keys/transponders in the Body Computer. The keys/transponders have to be pre-programmed with body computer's secret codes in order to be recognized by the vehicle. Follow the instructions on screen and make sure you have ALL keys (up to 8) before starting the procedure.
WARNING: DO NOT RUN this procedure if you don't know what you are doing as this procedure may permanently disable your keys! Make sure YOU HAVE ALL KEYS as you will have to program ALL of them into the Body Computer.
WARNING: You will also need to enter the electronic key code of your vehicle in order to execute this function. You can find this code on your vehicle's CODE CARD. Please be careful and note that the Body Computer will block itself for 30 minutes after an incorrect code is entered 3 times.
NOTE: You may run this procedure in simulation mode to see how it works. Basically, you have to do the following:
1. Start the procedure
2. The system will ask you to insert KEY 1 and click Y. After that the system will confirm if the recognition of the key is successfull.
3. The system will ask you to insert KEY 2. So, you have to remove KEY 1 and insert KEY 2. This procedure can be repeated for up to 8 keys.
4. The system will finally store all recognized keys into the body computer and will display a status of the whole procedure. You will still have a chance to abort the procedure before step 4 and restore the key data. However, after step 4 the new keys will be stored permanently and ANY existing keys that are not inserted/recognized during the procedure will be PERMANENTLY disabled in the body computer and it will not be possible to use them anymore.
ALSO NOTE: The vehicle will probably display immobilizer/key errors on the dashboard during the procedure! This is normal!
After the procedure:
1. Remove all keys, disconnect the OBD cable and wait 60 seconds
2. Take one key and start the engine with it
3. Turn off the engine and remove key
4. Close all doors and test the remote control (if this is an RF key).
Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 for all keys!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
When we bought your dethleffs we wanted a third key . The dealer arranged this with the fiat dealer and the van had to go to the workshop for this to be done. I believe all keys need to be present at the time off programming extra keys.
Yes all keys need to be there when the new one is encoded or any not there are locked out

OP
OP
Keep Right On
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Thanks all
Update - I have replied to the dealer declining their kind offer of me driving 3 hours each way to get it fixed there. I have told them it is not a warranty issue because there is no fault with the vehicle but their error in losing the keys in the first place. I have said that I expect to get it sorted locally with a reputable mobile auto locksmith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back