Philandclare

Free Member
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis 195
Exp
15yrs
Hello people, currently on our hols in our motor home, it's a 2015 Elddis 195 with a thetford cooker. Oven will work along with the grill and hob, without warning the oven will shutdown and the igniter will not work, it blows the 5amp igniter fuse. You can light the oven or grill straight away with a remote lighter and it will work perfectly just no igniter, replace the 5amp fuse and it will work again. Funny thing is with a good fuse in and the oven lit when you pull the igniter fuse out the oven stays lit.... Confused.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds pretty odd. I guess there is some connection between the actual oven shutdown that is causing the ignitor to fail. But it would have to be some weird shorting between the flame failure device and the ignitor electrics. Not heard anything like it. But in any case, you might want to change out the ignitor and flame failure device and see if that fixes it.

OP
OP
P

Philandclare

Free Member
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis 195
Exp
15yrs
It's got me beat, it's under warranty but would have been nice to fix it save Messi g on taking it in

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We had this problem a while back with the oven in our Elddis 175 and it turned out to be that the wire supplying the 12 volt to the igniter had been routed so tight around the external back corner of the oven that it had worn through the insulation and was shorting out.
I managed to pull a bit of slack in the wire enough to get some insulation tape on it and it has been fine since.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We had this problem a while back with the oven in our Elddis 175 and it turned out to be that the wire supplying the 12 volt to the igniter had been routed so tight around the external back corner of the oven that it had worn through the insulation and was shorting out.
I managed to pull a bit of slack in the wire enough to get some insulation tape on it and it has been fine since.

That would certainly be the normal expectation, but it doesn't explain why the oven stops burning simultaneously.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Did you not read my post fully then, "I managed to pull a bit of slack in the wire enough to get some insulation tape on it and it has been fine since."

I was referring to the OP's rather odd case, rather than your more typical situation!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Does it need explaining if it fixes the problem ?

Ok, cmcardle75 I apologise for being short with you and I did not want to get long winded in helping the OP but here's why the flame cut out.
The 12 volts to the igniter is also the supply to the oven cooling fan. With the wire shorting out and blowing the fuse and the fan no longer kicking in and out, the oven over heats and a thermal cutout shuts the gas off for safety.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Philandclare

Free Member
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis 195
Exp
15yrs
I've had the oven out and checked the wiring it all seems good, no rubbing or tight routing, I can't understand the connection with the flames going out then having a blown fuse, initially the only fuse I had was a 10a and it blew that, I am back on a 5a and it's working so will see what happens at dinnertime tomorrow... Probably phone up for a pizza.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I've had the oven out and checked the wiring it all seems good, no rubbing or tight routing, I can't understand the connection with the flames going out then having a blown fuse, initially the only fuse I had was a 10a and it blew that, I am back on a 5a and it's working so will see what happens at dinnertime tomorrow... Probably phone up for a pizza.

Alternatively, has your oven cooling fan packed up and over heated the oven causing the thermal cutout to kick in and the fan packing up or seizing has over loaded the fuse ?

OP
OP
P

Philandclare

Free Member
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis 195
Exp
15yrs
You might just have cracked that, we have not heard the fan and I was struggling for a link between the fuse and the gas but a fan fault makes sense, should the fan work as soon as the oven or grill is lit or should it be thermostatically controlled?

OP
OP
P

Philandclare

Free Member
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis 195
Exp
15yrs
Had it out again bridged the fan wires and it spins happily so the fan is fine, I think it's the thermal switch going to ground when hot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back