If you do speed in Spain, this is the cost!! (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Beware speeding cost lots of money in Spain!! Its a sliding scale of charges.

Attachments

• speed fines.png
    speed fines.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 209

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
You get a discount if you settle on the spot

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
You get a discount if you settle on the spot

Not IF you settle on the spot, if you are not a resident you HAVE to settle on the spot. At least that is my understanding of the situation around my house.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm guessing "multa" is the fine. The column on the right is points, which come off your UK licence I believe.

So being 20 to 30 kph over the limit (depending on the limit itself) will get you a fine. Above that it is points. In the "muy grave" region I guess it is transportation.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I'm guessing "multa" is the fine. The column on the right is points, which come off your UK licence I believe.

So being 20 to 30 kph over the limit (depending on the limit itself) will get you a fine. Above that it is points. In the "muy grave" region I guess it is transportation.

Not sure about the points on UK licence but I do believe they are, or have already got an agreement with UK government to have the points put on UK licence. I do believe you are correct about transportation :)

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not sure about the points on UK licence but I do believe they are, or have already got an agreement with UK government to have the points put on UK licence. I do believe you are correct about transportation :)
I read about a case today of someone who was caught on camera doing something illegal in a car in Italy, (no not that sort of activity!) . They got a letter saying they had just lost 6 points and had to pay a fine of several hundred pounds.
The reply from the newspaper they had written to was "pay up and get over it".

Hard to argue against it really otherwise foreign drivers in the UK could drive as they like without fear of repercussions. Which I think may have been the case previously.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Spanish lesson number 1. Grave.....Serious. Muy Grave....... Very Serious. Multa....Fine. The numbers are the same in both languages, other than Kph not Mph.

Points on UK licence dont know about this one.

On the spot fine, yes, you do, we all carry this amount in our back pockets.

Speeding in Spain has to be controlled to save lives, not just to collect money.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Spanish lesson number 1. Grave.....Serious. Muy Grave....... Very Serious. Multa....Fine. The numbers are the same in both languages, other than Kph not Mph.

Points on UK licence dont know about this one.

On the spot fine, yes, you do, we all carry this amount in our back pockets.

Speeding in Spain has to be controlled to save lives, not just to collect money.

2 points.
1) Residents & Spanish nationals do not have to pay on the spot.They can if they wish & do not dispute the fine . Payment within 20 days for them reduces the amount by 50%

2) Don't bother with the cash . It is illegal for the Guardia to accept it since last year. All Trafico vehicles carry a credit card machine.

Not IF you settle on the spot, if you are not a resident you HAVE to settle on the spot. At least that is my understanding of the situation around my house.

Yes, now by credit card for non-residents . Did away with GC accepting cash last year.
Spanish nationals /Resident foreigners can pay on the spot with 50% discount if they do not wish to dispute the fine .Or at any time within the 20 days to still receive the discount.

On a UK licence you have no points & are given them.
On a Spanish licence you have 12 points given to you & lose them- New drivers only have 8 to start with.
Additionally after 3 years of safe driving ( not being caught:)) you receive an additional 2 points . Another 3 years & 1 more ,so you can actually have a max of 15.

To my knowledge they do not add points to a foreign licence , neither do they in the UK, except in the most serious cases were you'll be going to court & then they've normally arrested you anyway.
Both here & the UK used to create a "virtual licence" that existed on ther own data base to which points could be added/subtracted.
If this happened to you, then any time you were stopped inputting of your foreign licence details would immediately bring up any points or lack of. Not sure they still do it.

Also if only it were as simple as the chart. For a Spaniard ,& any foreigner that knows & can argue, in all roads except motorways you are still legally allowed to
" exceed the limit by 20kph to allow safe overtaking " ???? :LOL::LOL:
They have literally only just removed this from being used as a defence on the autovias , but it is still legal everywhere else.
They did this at the same time as they increased the autovia limits in specified places to 130kph & imposed mainly 30kph limits in urban areas & 20kph in town centres.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sort of related, when we travel around Europe, I have this printed out and stuck to the dashboard:
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/7707021/speed_limits.pdf
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the limits, I do know that the French one has the wrong limits, my cousin informs me that they are too low, which is fine by me.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Speed limits in Spain changed to the speed indicated + 7kph up to 100kph then it is +7%. So 20 sign up to 27kph OK. 30 sign up to 37kph OK. 50 sign up to 57kph OK anything over these is the offence. The 20kph excess in overtaking was stated on the N330 Guardia website as permissible. Crossing a solid white line to overtake a slow moving vehicle was also declared as permissible.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Gus Lopez, you are my favorite knowledge based neighbour, if ever I am in a pickle I'm gunna call you, hope you give 50% discount if I pay on the spot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back