If you didn't believe they were real......... (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
THIS is a wild haggis..........

190295706_169175305143523_4390997652687128939_n.jpg

Ok not really, this is a hedgehog.

The following is his story.....

This is Nelson the Hedgehog.
He was rescued by Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue in Norfolk, UK, where he still lives.
He was born without quills due to a genetic condition similar to alopecia and would be extremely vulnerable in the wild.
Thankfully he was rescued and otherwise is a happy and healthy little hog.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Lovely little creatures.....we have several visiting our garden each night to sample the calci worms I leave out for them....fascinating to watch their antics on camera - the way they roll each other around when ā€˜fightingā€™!;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Lovely little creatures.....we have several visiting our garden each night to sample the calci worms I leave out for them....fascinating to watch their antics on camera - the way they roll each other around when ā€˜fightingā€™!;)
They are and they need all the help they can get.

Looks like a kids cartoon character.. little thing..

Is it a myth that hedgehog had to have flees to surviveā€¦šŸ¤”
It is....

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Please do not feed hedgehogs on piles of mealworms, peanuts and sunflower hearts?
Their offspring suffer from Metabolic Bone Disease.
Fractures, bendy bones, inability to walk.
Transparent bones under x-ray.
Best to top up the food for your ground feeding birds in the morning.

The best food you can put out for them is straight forward cat food dry or wet.
Some say you can't feed fish based cat food, but that is more for the rescue centres who have to clean up the extra stinky poo it creates.:sick::giggler:

Fruit is no use to them, they will fill up on it, but then it passes straight through with zero nutrition benefit.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
We have a Hedgehog rescue centre close to Woodside Field and have a film about their work ready to show at the two rallies for anybody who is interested?

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
I will if anything else appears about him.
Maybe you could take a look for the rescue that cares for him.... http://www.foxylodge.yolasite.com/
They are a very good small organisation. I took a young Buzzard to them a couple of years ago. It had been sitting on the ground in the woods at the bottom of my garden for a few hours looking very poorly. It didnā€™t even make a fuss when I wrapped it up and put it in the back of my Landy. RSPB recommended I took it there. Sadly it did not survive, we think it had eaten something which had been poisoned and ingested the poison itself.

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
They are a very good small organisation. I took a young Buzzard to them a couple of years ago. It had been sitting on the ground in the woods at the bottom of my garden for a few hours looking very poorly. It didnā€™t even make a fuss when I wrapped it up and put it in the back of my Landy. RSPB recommended I took it there. Sadly it did not survive, we think it had eaten something which had been poisoned and ingested the poison itself.
That is such a shame, but you did you best and the poor soul didn't suffer any longer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back