If you could give me just one tip... (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The good ship Autocruise Starburst is going for its maiden voyage [well, with its new crew, anyway] on Monday. A two night shakedown cruise, first to a local site that we know to try it on EHU then to a pub in Norfolk that I love, to try the wildcamping thing. In between, stopping & shopping in King's Lynn plus breaking the journey at a picnic place to see how good a cup of tea we can make.

Really looking forward to it, but as many others have said, it's simultaneously a bit daunting. Literally like moving into a new house and taking it on tour. So...as the thread title says, what's the ONE big tip you'd like to give us to help us on our way?

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
nothing can go wrong that cannot be fixed, just relax and enjoy your trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Don't drive with your silver screens up and keep to the left hand side of the road!

No, seriously, enjoy it, and make sure you keep to firm ground.

Upvote 0

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Hi, we are down in Norfolk in a few weeks time and like pub stop overs - which pub are you using?

Upvote 0

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
When you come to pack up.

Make sure the EHU is unplugged.

THEN. Drive off your pitch and STOP. Have a quick look back to make sure you've picked everything up.

Enjoy June

Upvote 0

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Double check you have everything you need before you set off ...... We have grown complacent and have had to return home after a few miles down the road to pick up stuff "SHE" has forgotten ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Excellent - keep 'em coming! Re corkscrew - we've graduated to wine boxes as an emergency sedative if need be...

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
always set out with the intention of having fun. Even the longest of journeys begins with a single step and motorhoming is just another journey. Dont worry about the small things, as the good times will make them irrelevant. If you spend your time in the motorhome worrying about what could be, you will miss the many interesting and fun things that you can do and people you will meet.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Very good point about the wine boxes, we use them all the time in the MH, much lighter and take up much less space. The white ones take up a lot of fridge space though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We're figuring on using one light each in the evenings - dealer estimated £200 to swap out all the 20+ lights for LEDs. what's the payback time?

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Unroll

the whole of your EHU cable before connecting.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We're figuring on using one light each in the evenings - dealer estimated £200 to swap out all the 20+ lights for LEDs. what's the payback time?

Shop around and dont accept dealers inflated prices. Most LED bulbs can be changed for about £2 each if you buy from places like EBay or Amazon

Upvote 0
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Tip No. 1

Remember that things will go wrong, things will break and that in the grand scheme of things, neither matters...

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There's no rush

All I would say is not rush anywhere......just relax and enjoy the journey.:Cool:

I agree with the "Lifeboat" it's a great pub which we use when we are round that way........it does get very busy but good food and great walking & birding roundabouts. ::bigsmile:

Enjoy your first outing of many.

Brian

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if you put "legs down" put your winder over the cab pedals, that way you wont drive away with them down

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if you put "legs down" put your winder over the cab pedals, that way you wont drive away with them down

Good tip. We used to do that with the Truma cover with the previous van. We don't have a Truma cover on this one (different heater) but we do have corner steadies so I'll try to remember to put the winder in the cab.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Very good point about the wine boxes, we use them all the time in the MH, much lighter and take up much less space. [HI]The white ones take up a lot of fridge space though[/HI].

That's what the fridge is for, oh and for beer and a nice bit of fillet steak... so that's why we got a van with a big fridge...:thumb:

and cool the fridge down on EHU before you leave home to ensure all the wine and beer is nicely chilled, ready to enjoy when you reach your destination..:thumb:

I changed all of ours and got change from £20......

Get into a routine and if necessary have a checklist before you drive off. I always walk around the exterior of the van checking EHU disconnected etc, check you have left nothing behind where you were parked up. Check that your lockers, cupboards, fridge door etc all secure and nothing is left loose that could fly around and do damage if you have to do an emergency stop.

Then just sit back, relax and enjoy the trip and let the FUN begin........::bigsmile:

Callum

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Double check you have everything you need before you set off ...... We have grown complacent and have had to return home after a few miles down the road to pick up stuff "SHE" has forgotten ::bigsmile:

Oh boy! We do this every time. We've had to return home for:
Medication, currency, my jacket, mobile phone, turn off central heating.... the list goes on. We always have to go back for something.

As for your first trip you'll be surprised at how smoothly it goes. Nothing that you worry about will seem as bad once you've made your first trip.

Wyn

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back