If you are thinking about Sygic? (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Discount code: PREMIUM

Valid only until JUNE 4th, 2019.

You can apply the discount code to Truck or Caravan Lifetime license with 3 years map updates in the Sygic e-shop (valid only for Android, Europe & North America Licenses).

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
What is sygic like to use, seen it advertised but never tried it. I know you can download a free trial, but would like some real use feedback.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Discount code: PREMIUM

Valid only until JUNE 4th, 2019.

You can apply the discount code to Truck or Caravan Lifetime license with 3 years map updates in the Sygic e-shop (valid only for Android, Europe & North America Licenses).

What are the costs/discount ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thought it was free anyway, at least I had it once but ditched it for "here maps" couldn't have had to pay for it or I wouldn't have had it.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Sygic is great in my opinion. I’ve bought it and copilot, and much prefer Sygic.
I can enter the sizes and limits of my vehicle so it won’t send me down roads I shouldn’t be down and it gives very clear instructions. It also tells me where speed cameras are, which I like.

Sygic app is currently 40% discount, but i can’t now see its cost, as I’ve already bought it. It can be tried for 14 days free of charge.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
What is sygic like to use, seen it advertised but never tried it. I know you can download a free trial, but would like some real use feedback.
Firstly not to be compared with basic car navigation apps, indeed Sygic has a basic version, but these Caravan and more specifically Truck versions have size and weight profiling and mapping that has height, weight, use, and turning limitations incorporated.
I long since ditched proprietary navigators in favour of app based solutions enabling me to select my own hardware and upgrade that at will. Together with the inevitable flexibility of running other apps simultaneously. For example I have CamperContact on the 10 inch tablet I navigate with, along with both CoPilot and Sygic Truck versions. Find a site in CC click route and it will launch Sygic and that will do the calculation and away you go.
I have long been an advocate of CoPilot which with its comprehensive vehicle profiling was a good choice. However it dumped that feature. At the same time Sygic created a Firefox and Chrome add on which enabled you to search for a site or whatever in Google maps and then click send to sygic and bang the app routes you. All of course with attention to vehicle size, weight etc. This removed my greatest hate about sygic. POI management. It is shit. However I have always thought its GUI was although clunky far more useable than CoPilot. So I have 2 licences for each and my wife and I are just now using Sygic Truck in anger and it's a bit early for a definitive referral however I have always been one to explore options without just looking at the financial implication. Get a free trial and see what you think. Not sure if route sender works with trial versions.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Firstly not to be compared with basic car navigation apps, indeed Sygic has a basic version, but these Caravan and more specifically Truck versions have size and weight profiling and mapping that has height, weight, use, and turning limitations incorporated.
I long since ditched proprietary navigators in favour of app based solutions enabling me to select my own hardware and upgrade that at will. Together with the inevitable flexibility of running other apps simultaneously. For example I have CamperContact on the 10 inch tablet I navigate with, along with both CoPilot and Sygic Truck versions. Find a site in CC click route and it will launch Sygic and that will do the calculation and away you go.
I have long been an advocate of CoPilot which with its comprehensive vehicle profiling was a good choice. However it dumped that feature. At the same time Sygic created a Firefox and Chrome add on which enabled you to search for a site or whatever in Google maps and then click send to sygic and bang the app routes you. All of course with attention to vehicle size, weight etc. This removed my greatest hate about sygic. POI management. It is shit. However I have always thought its GUI was although clunky far more useable than CoPilot. So I have 2 licences for each and my wife and I are just now using Sygic Truck in anger and it's a bit early for a definitive referral however I have always been one to explore options without just looking at the financial implication. Get a free trial and see what you think. Not sure if route sender works with trial versions.
You can do the site finding thing with here maps too, works with searchforsites and park4night , just find your parking place ,click on navigate and it gives you a choice of Google maps or here or whatever else you have.
Not trying to hijack this thread just showing there alternative apps.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You can do the site finding thing with here maps too, works with searchforsites and park4night , just find your parking place ,click on navigate and it gives you a choice of Google maps or here or whatever else you have.
Not trying to hijack this thread just showing there alternative apps.
But an Apple and Pear comparison has no valuable condition. Or does this app have height weight and truck profiling maps?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I tried Sygic Truck and had problems with it and contacted their tech guys but after 6 week of nice words and bugger all help I turfed it of my headunit and tablet even after their 60% off to stay with it and we will find a solution to your problem.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I tried Sygic Truck and had problems with it and contacted their tech guys but after 6 week of nice words and bugger all help I turfed it of my headunit and tablet even after their 60% off to stay with it and we will find a solution to your problem.
Do share the issue, I like to know what brick walls are not worth the effort.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know if it was sygic or another one I tried, but if I put Dover to Calais in , it would insist in going via Dieppe (n) I talked to the people about it but they couldn't see it was wrong.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
None of the apps I tried could cope with ferry crossings other than the Tunnel. I did manage to defeat CoPilot and get it to use the Plymouth Sanatnder ferry by putting in several wps in the English Channel and Bay of Biscay. It is something to do with national boundary interpretation. However I cannot see that is not insoluble but not worth the effort trying to convince support on any of the apps. As you have found they see no wrong with their interpretation of the way things should be. You may recall the Tsunami of posts on here when CoPilot buggered their profiling and this pressure achieved zilch. I think they all have issues and you just pick your compromise and work rounds.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The two issue I had were that we like to avoid motorways and enjoy the countryside, stopping off in small country towns and village to explore and sample the local fare while abroad.
To this end I wanted to set waypoints along the route we wanted to take to keep Sygic Truck on our route rather than it diverting to a major route that it would think was better.
I set out routes for the next few days travelling and saved them via the Sygic Truck menu. Load on the first saved route to be used, all fine, go to the second save route and all the saved route had disappeared.
After going through and re-planning the routes, same thing happened again.
Tried setting route via their Google map app and that would not transfer the Google route to my headunit, so contacted their tech guys and got 6 weeks of the run around chasing them for solutions and got no further forward so binned it after declined their kind offer to pay up and get 60% off as at that point I had little faith that they would be very interest having got my money.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've used Sygic on a tablet for a while now and it works well. Hubby says putting the POIs on that he wants is a bit more pratty than say TomTom as you can't do them en masse but in groups, although he's happy enough to do that now he's used to it.

I have to say, though, that its a very 'polite' sat nav system ... it actually says please ... really it does!!! :D

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes I like sygic too, camper version but it puts all the weights in.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
This summer it will be waze or maps on the android radio; copilot caravan on the phone (android) and test of sygic on an iPad - may buy the camper version if it behaves. Sygic forced my iPhone to stop from overheating.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't understand why you would plot a route past the channel? When I travel to the UK I plot the route to Dunkirk & then choose the destination when exiting the boat. Same on the return even though both sat navs recognise the need for ferries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back