If we actually want aires where do we really want them? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My local authority has put an unusual limit on one of its car parks stating '14 hours in any 24'. I'll go and read the smallprint to see if that would technically permit overnighting. Not that I'd want to stay in that particular spot, but if it can be authorised there it can be authorised elsewhere.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I am actually quite disappointed in the response to this. We say we want aires. Here appears to be a town perhaps just needing swaying a little yet there has been over 300 views to the thread since I posted this but only 2 users taken the time to leave a comment.
I realise a percentage of viewers dont read the whole threads, maybe wouldn't visit Largs, or are busy but wheres the MH community spirit here?
Thank you Puddleduck and Keithhep.
If no one recognises who Keithhep is, it's me I think I must have signed using my Wildcamping user name. :doh:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I am actually quite disappointed in the response to this. We say we want aires. Here appears to be a town perhaps just needing swaying a little yet there has been over 300 views to the thread since I posted this but only 2 users taken the time to leave a comment.
I realise a percentage of viewers dont read the whole threads, maybe wouldn't visit Largs, or are busy but wheres the MH community spirit here?
Thank you Puddleduck and Keithhep.

have to say ,I got lost off as well when I clicked on the link Sandra same view as Graham mentioned above , but ill get back to it and have another look, and leave a comment.
ill also e-mail south Tyneside council about motorhome facilities in there area and see what the response is , and again get back.
ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
have to say ,I got lost off as well when I clicked on the link Sandra same view as Graham mentioned above , but ill get back to it and have another look, and leave a comment.
ill also e-mail south Tyneside council about motorhome facilities in there area and see what the response is , and again get back.
ta andy
South Tyneside has a web page stating where motorhomes may be parked during the day, Andy. If any of the places listed are underused it may be worth suggesting that they could be suitable for overnight stopovers to generate more revenue.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Aires in UK would be very welcome . I have just spent days trying to plan a trip to Norfolk ....many phone calls to CC CLs later I have only managed to book
8 nights . We will try out a few Britstops as well to join the dots . If it was not for dental and routine hospital appointments we would have headed across the Channel for sure .I miss the spontaneity of Continental trips . I hate having to send deposits and making numerous phone calls for a few nights in campsites and CLs which when we get there we might not even like .

Exactly our feelings.
We hate all this booking lark. Can't wait to get back there.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for that info Graham,however recently the council has been in turmoil. They have a 'spin' doctor who is very powerful and influences the controlling party. She came to the council to work in Tourism! and now is Head of Community engagement,ironically she was a councillor in Chester and prior to that she was an 'adviser' to the late Mo Mowlam. The CEO is a bit of a 'dodgy' character,who bears an uncanny resemblance to Frank Drebin! Just look on the website of The Wirral Globe just to red of the antics. I will take up you suggestion in the hope that something may happen.
As I was "in the mood" after writing to North Ayrshire I've also e-mailed Wirral's Leader & Chief Exec on the Tesco principle (every little helps) :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
South Tyneside has a web page stating where motorhomes may be parked during the day, Andy. If any of the places listed are underused it may be worth suggesting that they could be suitable for overnight stopovers to generate more revenue.
thanks for keeping me right Graham(y)
and ill have a look at the page and do as you suggest
ta andy

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
As I was "in the mood" after writing to North Ayrshire I've also e-mailed Wirral's Leader & Chief Exec on the Tesco principle (every little helps) :)
Hi Graham thanks for the 'little help' as per Tesco, I too have recieved a reply from my councillor friend viz.
Dear Will
Thanks for your email. This is just a short message but I would just say that the examples from other areas are useful. I have forwarded it to the Chief Executive and asked him to respond. It will be interesting to see what is said.
Kind regards
Pat

I hope this helps as well

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham thanks for the 'little help' as per Tesco, I too have recieved a reply from my councillor friend viz.
Dear Will
Thanks for your email. This is just a short message but I would just say that the examples from other areas are useful. I have forwarded it to the Chief Executive and asked him to respond. It will be interesting to see what is said.
Kind regards
Pat

I hope this helps as well
(y)(y)(y)

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years with a campervan; saw the light, now mortorhome newbie
Just to say that our council did respond to appeals by motorhomers - first by setting up a pilot in a town centre car park close to the beach, and asking for feedback from motorhomers on the pilot. They then analysed the pilot responses, made the scheme permanent, and made some further changes in accordance with the suggestions. Then they also identified three other car parks to roll the scheme out to, although they haven't done so yet (I need to double check, but they hadn't when I last looked).

One interesting issue was that, if they provided grey/black water disposal and fresh water as the motorhomers would like, then they would have to apply for a change of use planning application and a caravan licensing application for the car park. This would effectively give it the same classification as a caravan site, which wasn't the idea. They discuss getting around this by appending service facilities to a nearby toilet block for the wider use of visitors, although this means they would be less proximate to the car park.

If you're interested in how our council looked at this issue, or forwarding it to other councils as an example, the consultation is on the RHS of the page at this Link Removed.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thats a very interesting report and may be useful for other councils to read. Thanks for posting Wellsprungalice.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Fylde scheme is very good and, as the report shows, well thought out. It also shows what can happen when motorhomers make positive approaches to councils rather than the sort of actions we have seen at places like Huttoft. I (and I know others) have used the Fylde scheme (via the link as shown) as an example to other authorities.

There is a slight inaccuracy in the council's understanding of the law as simply allowing overnight stops automatically gives the car park the status of a caravan site (1960 Act S1(4)) but that doesn't matter because the council is exempt from licensing requirements under Sch 1 Para 11 of the 1960 Act. They are correct that change of use would have to be applied for if facilities were to be provided.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One interesting issue was that, if they provided grey/black water disposal and fresh water as the motorhomers would like, then they would have to apply for a change of use planning application and a caravan licensing application for the car park. This would effectively give it the same classification as a caravan site, which wasn't the idea. They discuss getting around this by appending service facilities to a nearby toilet block for the wider use of visitors, although this means they would be less proximate to the car park.

Very interesting, but I thought you required a campsite licence or an exemption certificate whether there were water and waste facilities or not..

The 1960 Caravan Act states..

(4)In this Part of this Act the expression “caravan site” means land on which a caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation and land which is used in conjunction with land on which a caravan is so stationed.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Very interesting, but I thought you required a campsite licence or an exemption certificate whether there were water and waste facilities or not..

The 1960 Caravan Act states..

(4)In this Part of this Act the expression “caravan site” means land on which a caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation and land which is used in conjunction with land on which a caravan is so stationed.
I think we may have been posting at the same time Jim :) You're right but the council has the exemption as I mentioned.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think we may have been posting at the same time Jim :) You're right but the council has the exemption as I mentioned.

yes indeed, :LOL:

..thanks for clarifying :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back