If we actually want aires where do we really want them? (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Stirling would be good. We spent an unhappy 2 hours in the gathering gloaming trying to find somewhere close by, and went through some pretty places - Dunblane, Bridge of Allan etc - nowhere to park up, no laybys, no car parks, no suitable side streets. Ended up paying £10.50 to park at the first services on the A9M.

Now, that's a real bugbear for me. Most motorway services let motorhomes buy parking for the night, and that's useful to know if you're in a pinch like we were, but precious few have designated motorhome or caravan parking, and no thought has been given to motorhomer or tugger needs. None of the staff on the site knew where we were and were not allowed to park; the lorry park was full anyway (and most of them had their refrigeration units running - deafening) so we ended up in the car park shared between Burger King and Travelodge, with people getting in and out of their cars and going for food or the loo or moving their suitcases in and out of the hotel all night, many of them being very loud about it. Both car and lorry parking was on a really bad camber. A very poor night's kip was had by all, and we wouldn't go on another service station unless we were utterly desperate.

At £10.50 I guess it's cheap for a night with access to a loo and food, but for £10.50 you want someone to have put a little thought into what a motorhomer will need. If enough of them did sort their act out, there's no reason they shouldn't operate as a network of Aires of a kind and bring in extra revenue for the site owner.
You could have parked in Springkerse retail park area in Stirling. Can think of several places, next time just ask .

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well were on one now.
It's at the back of the antiques shop in Pickering. We've just had a fantastic curry at spice 4 you. Mmmmmmmm pogged.
£10 for 24 hours. Water ,Elsan ,toilets ,car park. Lidl a couple mins walk away. The lovely town of Pickering, with all it's attractions , 5 min walk.
Not the quietist of spots.
When your used to farmers fields in the countryside.
And when you live in a quiet culdesac in a very quiet residential area.
But ok for a night. There's another Motorhome and a panel van and us.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ooooops.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
God knows what's happened there. Sorry. It won't let me edit and cancel either. Must be the Aire monster ooooooooohhhhhhhh

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Sh!t , I give up! Must be crappy connection. :rofl::lips:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well were on one now.
It's at the back of the antiques shop in Pickering. We've just had a fantastic curry at spice 4 you. Mmmmmmmm pogged.
£10 for 24 hours. Water ,Elsan ,toilets ,car park. Lidl a couple mins walk away. The lovely town of Pickering, with all it's attractions , 5 min walk.
Not the quietist of spots.
When your used to farmers fields in the countryside.
And when you live in a quiet culdesac in a very quiet residential area.
But ok for a night. There's another Motorhome and a panel van and us.
Although it's sometimes termed an aire, it's actually a MCC CL - and, like all MCC CLs/Nightstops, is open for anyone to use.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Stirling would be good. We spent an unhappy 2 hours in the gathering gloaming trying to find somewhere close by, and went through some pretty places - Dunblane, Bridge of Allan etc - nowhere to park up, no laybys, no car parks, no suitable side streets. Ended up paying £10.50 to park at the first services on the A9M.

Now, that's a real bugbear for me. Most motorway services let motorhomes buy parking for the night, and that's useful to know if you're in a pinch like we were, but precious few have designated motorhome or caravan parking, and no thought has been given to motorhomer or tugger needs. None of the staff on the site knew where we were and were not allowed to park; the lorry park was full anyway (and most of them had their refrigeration units running - deafening) so we ended up in the car park shared between Burger King and Travelodge, with people getting in and out of their cars and going for food or the loo or moving their suitcases in and out of the hotel all night, many of them being very loud about it. Both car and lorry parking was on a really bad camber. A very poor night's kip was had by all, and we wouldn't go on another service station unless we were utterly desperate.

At £10.50 I guess it's cheap for a night with access to a loo and food, but for £10.50 you want someone to have put a little thought into what a motorhomer will need. If enough of them did sort their act out, there's no reason they shouldn't operate as a network of Aires of a kind and bring in extra revenue for the site owner.
It might be worth getting in touch with Stirling Council to tell them of a potential revenue source for an unsatisfied demand.

As regards MSAs, they aren't in the business of providing overnight stopovers, which is why the experience is as you found. They won't "operate as a network of Aires of a kind" because the demand simply is not sufficient to warrant the expenditure.

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years with a campervan; saw the light, now mortorhome newbie
You could have parked in Springkerse retail park area in Stirling. Can think of several places, next time just ask .

A 3G connection helps in that circumstance. Didn't have one the whole time I was in Scotland!

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years with a campervan; saw the light, now mortorhome newbie
It might be worth getting in touch with Stirling Council to tell them of a potential revenue source for an unsatisfied demand.

As regards MSAs, they aren't in the business of providing overnight stopovers, which is why the experience is as you found. They won't "operate as a network of Aires of a kind" because the demand simply is not sufficient to warrant the expenditure.

Well, that's me told.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I have been in communication with a councillor regarding creating an aire at Kings Parade in New Brighton by the old Coast guard lookout there are toilets across the road which could be reopened. I have used the Chester model (15 miles from us) and the Lytham model. It has been a couple of years of correspondence,but nothing as yet.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4342808,-3.0699404,17z

Last edited:

melnol

Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Queensland, Australia
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Montana
Exp
Best one I've seen is in France at a town called Granville. What a view. What a facility. What great town planning!

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have been in communication with a councillor regarding creating an aire at Kings Parade in New Brighton by the old Coast guard lookout there are toilets across the road which could be reopened. I have used the Chester model (15 miles from us) and the Lytham model. It has been a couple of years of correspondence,but nothing as yet.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4342808,-3.0699404,17z
Great to see the effort going in. If an individual councillor isn't doing anything it may be worth an e-mail to the Chief Executive and the Council Leader.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is an example of the type of e-mail I've sent off to councils recently. Others may like to use it as a template with appropriate amendments.

Dear Councillor ??????? and Chief Executive,

For almost 8 years now I have run a web site, http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/, which seeks to inform people where they may park motorhomes safely and to direct them away from areas where they might have/cause problems. The web site is personally funded by myself and receives no sponsorship, corporate or otherwise.

Over that period I have received assistance in the form of information from your authority on a number of occasions so I am aware that daytime motorhome parking is possible at XXXXXXXXXX. It strikes me that there is an opportunity for your Council to generate extra revenue from under used resources at XXXXXXXXXX. I note that XXXXXXXXXX does not allow overnight habitation by motorhome owners and it strikes me that you might be missing out on a potential money-spinner for the Council and for local businesses.

My wife and I recently stayed in your council area for some 12 days, staying at temporary rally sites, but earlier this year we stopped at the motorhome stopover facility at New Dover Road P&R site at Canterbury for a couple of days, during a trip to the south east of England from our home in Middlesbrough. During those trips we worked out that we spent an average of about £50 a day in local shops, restaurants, pubs &c. I am struck by the historical similarities between your area and Canterbury and wondered whether any consideration had been given to extending the facilities for motorhomes at XXXXXXXXXX to allow overnight stays.

Whilst at Canterbury I took a few photos which I have put together in a small set of web pages at http://www.gjh.me.uk/c_aire/index.htm to show you what the stopover looks like. As you will see, the facilities are basic but perfectly adequate for touring motorhomes, which are self contained in terms of habitation facilities. The grey/black waste disposal is a simple manhole with a grate covering through which grey water can be poured directly. There are a couple of ropes attached to the grate which enables it to be lifted to one side for the disposal of chemical toilet contents. The water tap is a simple stand pipe. Whilst we were there, disposal of dry waste was via numerous general litter bins rather than a dedicated commercial bin. There is further information on the Canterbury City Council web site at Link Removed.

The photos were taken the day we arrived, there being a couple of transit vans (which left at the end of the day) as well as motorhomes because the P&R site is being expanded with extra car parking spaces. Several more motorhomes came in later and by the evening of the following day there were 12 motorhomes staying overnight. We left about 8:30am on the Friday but friends who left a couple of hours later said that 5 more motorhomes came after we had gone. So, the site is certainly well used. Given the attraction of Worcester for tourists it struck me that the County Council might also be able to take advantage of attracting similar extra investment for local businesses and to support the viability of the P&R site.

I do hope that you will look favourably on this suggestion, at least to the extent of giving it some initial feasibility consideration. I should, of course, be happy to provide any assistance that I can.

Regards,

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Baiter Park, Poole. There are spaces dedicated to Motorhomes but with no overnight parking allowed. Water on site and loos closeby. Easy walk to the Quay.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Best one I've seen is in France at a town called Granville. What a view. What a facility. What great town planning!

Agree about Granville aire. Pleasant town to spend a couple of days. We were there 20th June last year. We had to go to Granville because my wife says its the birthplace of Christian Dior - got a couple of his records I think! :)

Paul

Granville aire.JPG

Last edited:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Aires in UK would be very welcome . I have just spent days trying to plan a trip to Norfolk ....many phone calls to CC CLs later I have only managed to book
8 nights . We will try out a few Britstops as well to join the dots . If it was not for dental and routine hospital appointments we would have headed across the Channel for sure .I miss the spontaneity of Continental trips . I hate having to send deposits and making numerous phone calls for a few nights in campsites and CLs which when we get there we might not even like .

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Great to see the effort going in. If an individual councillor isn't doing anything it may be worth an e-mail to the Chief Executive and the Council Leader.
Thanks for that info Graham,however recently the council has been in turmoil. They have a 'spin' doctor who is very powerful and influences the controlling party. She came to the council to work in Tourism! and now is Head of Community engagement,ironically she was a councillor in Chester and prior to that she was an 'adviser' to the late Mo Mowlam. The CEO is a bit of a 'dodgy' character,who bears an uncanny resemblance to Frank Drebin! Just look on the website of The Wirral Globe just to red of the antics. I will take up you suggestion in the hope that something may happen.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I assume "Community Engagement" is something like the "Policy Unit" rubbish that was fashionable in New Labour councils around 15 years or so ago. I had hoped that such waste had been done away with by now. It isn't half a pain in the neck when you have to (whether resident or officer) put up with councillors who are most interested in having their egos massaged and political careers enhanced rather than doing the job.

Mind you, if you have a few of those then if the pitch gives them an inkling that they might get some kudos they can be "advised" effectively :)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Aires in UK would be very welcome . I have just spent days trying to plan a trip to Norfolk ....many phone calls to CC CLs later I have only managed to book
8 nights . We will try out a few Britstops as well to join the dots . If it was not for dental and routine hospital appointments we would have headed across the Channel for sure .I miss the spontaneity of Continental trips . I hate having to send deposits and making numerous phone calls for a few nights in campsites and CLs which when we get there we might not even like .
Trips in the UK can be spontaneous as well. We returned 3 weeks ago from a 24 day trip taking in Sandy, Bourton on the Water, Upton on Severn, Welland and Blackpool. Only Sandy (Fun meet) was booked in advance. The rest were MCC CL (no advance booking), meets, THS and a pub.
In May we went to Yarwell Mill, Canterbury, Detling, Forest Row, Stafford and Glossop. Only Detling (Fun meet at a show) and Forest Row (CC CL) were booked in advance.

We found the same last year, which is why we like C&CC and MCC membership as most meets/THSs are just "turn up" with no booking.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Theme park car parks, major visitor attraction car parks, Park 'n' Rides, and Ferry Ports would do me for starters. They don't have to be quaint as long as I can get to the things I want to see easily.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Theme park car parks, major visitor attraction car parks, Park 'n' Rides, and Ferry Ports would do me for starters. They don't have to be quaint as long as I can get to the things I want to see easily.
Oh that the UK theme parks were like the French ones and permitted overnight camping on their car parks.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Oh that the UK theme parks were like the French ones and permitted overnight camping on their car parks.
Same problem as everywhere else I'm afraid. Site licence and planning permission required. There have been posts on here, though, that suggest certain theme parks unofficially allow overnighting.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe some of you could help an aire possibility here. Please add a comment in the comments section.

www.largsandmillportnews.com/news/largs/articles/2014/03/01/490274-lets-bring-motorhomes-to-largs

I am actually quite disappointed in the response to this. We say we want aires. Here appears to be a town perhaps just needing swaying a little yet there has been over 300 views to the thread since I posted this but only 2 users taken the time to leave a comment.
I realise a percentage of viewers dont read the whole threads, maybe wouldn't visit Largs, or are busy but wheres the MH community spirit here?
Thank you Puddleduck and Keithhep.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am actually quite disappointed in the response to this. We say we want aires. Here appears to be a town perhaps just needing swaying a little yet there has been over 300 views to the thread since I posted this but only 2 users taken the time to leave a comment.
I realise a percentage of viewers dont read the whole threads, maybe wouldn't visit Largs, or are busy but wheres the MH community spirit here?
Thank you Puddleduck and Keithhep.
Thanks for the friendly kick up the backside Irnbru :)

I didn't comment previously because the link didn't take me to the story, just what appeared to be blanked out text and a message which seemed to be about a repetitive survey. I've now persevered and commented.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks Graham. I am hoping the comments grow on the link page so the council can be directed to read them. The more that comment the stronger the case becomes.. hopefully!
:)

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Graham. I am hoping the comments grow on the link page so the council can be directed to read them. The more that comment the stronger the case becomes.. hopefully!
:)
I've followed up with an e-mail to the Leader & Chief Exec, based on the example I posted above.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back