Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
Hi All, I'm Brian. I've been motorhoming for 2 years now and boy have I made some mistakes! Talk about learning the hard way....:Sad:
I started with nothing except the idea that owning a campervan might be fun, I knew nobody who had one to ask questions of so I went ahead and bought a VW T2, that was mistake number one. It broke down on the way home from the vendors and it broke down regularly after that. I managed to pass it on after a few months only managing one adventure without mishap, after that it showed its true colours, what an absolute dog that van was, dreadful! So awful, I decided that campervans weren't for me and dismissed the idea of ever having another one. After a few years had passed the idea of freedom and the open road emerged once more, so I bought a two berth 15 year old Leisuredrive on a SWB Transit base, this turned out to be mistake number two! It looked nice when I bought it but began disintegrating before my very eyes! That said, I enjoyed the van for the few months I kept it and it was above everything very reliable however the chassis was a rustbucket held together with wire and bailer twine! Next, a micro camper, a Diahatsu columbus that ran out of fuel a mile from the dealers on my way home with it and no key for the locked petrol cap, not on the key fob or at the dealers! Helpful assistant from the dealers came out and 'bust the blighter off', a dreadful omen predicting accurately mistake number three. Lots of issues with the van ensued, too many to describe in detail here, suffice it to say that I was delighted to wave bye-bye to that one. Mistake number four came in the guise of a Compass Calypso on a Fiat Ducato petrol, I bought at an inflated price (not knowing any different). This van simply refused to run properly after I washed it to offer it for sale. It has remained at my mechanic's workshop since early December last year refusing to budge. Mechanic is totally flummoxed by it, God knows when I'll get it back, maybe when its got a new engine, carburetor, fuel tank, distributor, coil, battery and has undergone a complete rewire!!!!
THEN I FIND YOU LOT HERE!:Angry: If only I'd known where to get the advice I now know I badly needed.
However, looking on the positive side, I am now in a position to dole out advice myself and would urge every newbie reading this diatribe not to pursue 'the dream' without obtaining the advice that I lacked. learn from my mistakes and 'look before you leap.
Oh, if there is anyone out there who can suggest a possible explanation for my Fiat's demise and that might be able to offer advice about bringing her back to life, please feel free, all suggestions will be much appreciated.:Smile:
Brian.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Brian....look on the plus side...if it were not for bad luck...you would have no luck at all...welcome to the forum

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi All, I'm Brian. I've been motorhoming for 2 years now and boy have I made some mistakes! Talk about learning the hard way....:Sad:

I started with nothing except the idea that owning a campervan might be fun, I knew nobody who had one to ask questions of so I went ahead and bought a VW T2, that was mistake number one.

It broke down on the way home from the vendors and it broke down regularly after that. I managed to pass it on after a few months only managing one adventure without mishap, after that it showed its true colours, what an absolute dog that van was, dreadful! So awful, I decided that campervans weren't for me and dismissed the idea of ever having another one.

After a few years had passed the idea of freedom and the open road emerged once more, so I bought a two berth 15 year old Leisuredrive on a SWB Transit base, this turned out to be mistake number two!

It looked nice when I bought it but began disintegrating before my very eyes! That said, I enjoyed the van for the few months I kept it and it was above everything very reliable however the chassis was a rustbucket held together with wire and bailer twine!

Next, a micro camper, a Diahatsu columbus that ran out of fuel a mile from the dealers on my way home with it and no key for the locked petrol cap, not on the key fob or at the dealers! Helpful assistant from the dealers came out and 'bust the blighter off', a dreadful omen predicting accurately mistake number three.

Lots of issues with the van ensued, too many to describe in detail here, suffice it to say that I was delighted to wave bye-bye to that one.

Mistake number four came in the guise of a Compass Calypso on a Fiat Ducato petrol, I bought at an inflated price (not knowing any different). This van simply refused to run properly after I washed it to offer it for sale. It has remained at my mechanic's workshop since early December last year refusing to budge. Mechanic is totally flummoxed by it, God knows when I'll get it back, maybe when its got a new engine, carburetor, fuel tank, distributor, coil, battery and has undergone a complete rewire!!!!

THEN I FIND YOU LOT HERE!:Angry: If only I'd known where to get the advice I now know I badly needed.

However, looking on the positive side, I am now in a position to dole out advice myself and would urge every newbie reading this diatribe not to pursue 'the dream' without obtaining the advice that I lacked. learn from my mistakes and 'look before you leap.

Oh, if there is anyone out there who can suggest a possible explanation for my Fiat's demise and that might be able to offer advice about bringing her back to life, please feel free, all suggestions will be much appreciated.:Smile:
Brian.

Here, have a few carriage returns.

Now I can read it I can say that you need Jim's Buyer's Guide.......**

I do wonder if you need a better mechanic.

**PS I really do wish we'd have read The Guide before hunting, but we had more luck than you so did not do too badly, but more luck than good judgement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Welcome to fun, hope you enjoy your stay here.

Sorry to hear about you van problems. I hope you get them sorted before the weather picks up so you can enjoy it some.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello Brian do you know , we knew nothing either but we got it right 1st time. Probably cos we had owned caravans before . and lots of luck !! As far as the actual engine and structural side was concerned.
We went for the layout more than anything.
It was , and still is perfect for us.

It was only when we got to know other motorhomers through rallying and this forum that we realized how much we got it right. Fully winterized , diesel heating , solid quality fixtures and fittings , power and lights on in the hab when driving , great cooker fridge , proper shower cubicle, king size luton bed that you can sit up in etc we still love it to bits.
The only thing we didnt like , as it was worn on the knee rolls ,was the upholstery , but we saved and had that redone.
We shall be keeping it until the teenagers definitely don't want to come anymore , but before we retire.
Then we are going smaller.:whatthe:
Yes smaller haha
Ralphs going to do a PVC to our spec. So we can get to all those out of the way places we love so much..........Not wishing the time away , but its something we are both looking forward to doing.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
:ROFLMAO: Yes Brian .
Hes buying bits and bobs as he sees them.
We will re-use the victron pure sine inverter charger and 40 amp stirling battery to battery charger, hes just fitted to mizzi.
By the time he gets round to it , the main problem , winterizing , will be a doddle. The stuffs getting thinner and thinner and better and better as the years go by. :thumb:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi and welcome
Our first van was a petrol Ducato and every time it got rained-on or washed there's a cable connector plug underneath the coil that would fill with water and the damn thing wouldn't start till it was pulled apart and dried-out.
Hope this helps :thumb::thumb:

Cheers. Nige

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to motorhome fun and, glad you have found the forum, sounds like a case of taking a deep breath and starting again ask as many questions as you need :thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our Type 2 VW had three trips on a recovery truck in the seven years we owned it - snapped handbrake cable (3 hours before catching a ferry to France), snapped fuel line (40 litres of petrol drained onto the drive, dissolved the tarmac, and we had to call the Fire Brigade out to check the house wouldn't ignite), and a failed coil on a roundabout half a mile from home. Trouble was I didn't realise it was a failed coil and had a perfectly good battery replaced. I worked it out in the end.

We also drove halfway down France and back in 1999 with a leaking seal, pouring oil into the top of the engine only a bit slower than it was leaking out the bottom.

If only everything was reliable as a VW my arse. We still loved it to bits though.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
First van VW type 2 , drove to cornwall with family, turning in camp field clutch went, farmer towed with tractor to garage returned end of day fixed.
second van, Ford travelhome, brought from car garage, turned out to be nicked, police helpful but had to purchase again from insurance company. of course the garage solicitors did not want to assist just claiming sold in good faith.
knew layout of van i wanted, found only x3 over 8 month of searching for Hymer 534 rear lounge,found one Eastbourne, private sale alerted to a few repairs needed (power steering hose) but Loved it, great family hol`s. sold this to purchase later model Hymer534 and still enjoying the layout, just returned from Ski trip and very pleased with van.
however lot`s and lot`s of tips from fellow funsters haved helped me to further the enjoyments.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Your mechanic does not sound like he knows what he is doing
Suck squeeze bang blow its not that complicated is it:ROFLMAO:

It does sound electrical but he must know if you have a spark at the right time or not:Eeek:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Old petrol talbot suffer bad rusting in the fuel tanks we had a rambler that would need filter cleaning every 300 miles

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hello and welcome to the [STRIKE]madhouse[/STRIKE] funsters ::bigsmile:

Gosh, haven't I been lucky?

First van was a Toyota Hiace with a pop-up top. Great holidays when my son was little.

Part exchanged it for a Bedford CF Autosleeper. No probs except for the clutch going not far from home.

Current m/h is Shirley, the 1995 Holdsworth Valentine that I have had for the last 7 years. She is a dream to drive and generally enjoy.

Hope my luck of the Irish rubs off on you, this being St Paddy's day ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
tobytenblue

tobytenblue

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
Thanks Chaps

:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:
Good stuff coming in now, yes its got juice in it, yes it does sound simple, yes, my mechanic is good (I know this cos I've had dealings with bad ones), but hey, no cigars yet guys.

Perhaps I should describe the symptoms with more precision:

Van ran like a Swiss watch until I washed it with a pressure hose, thereafter it protested, popped, banged and lost power. She was down to snails pace and I couldn't get the revs high enough to be useful, any attempt to spin her up and she protested like mad and kangaroo'd all over the yard.

Carburetor has been off, cleaned and replaced twice, coil has been tested and replaced and fuel lines cleared, all to no avail. When she was first in the workshop, she'd start as normal after the above jobs were done but any attempt to increase the revs resulted in a stall. She would start happily but then stall as soon as she was asked to move!

When I last enquired, I was told that she won't start at all now!! In fairness though my mechanic does a lot of his work outside (that's where the van is) and the weather recently has stopped play. He tells me that he will get to the root of the problem ....eventually. He too, has been seeking internet inspiration and has so far drawn a blank.

Given the famed reliability and durability of the Fiat Ducato, like the 'X Files' say, 'the truth is out there', i.e. someone knows the answer all I have to do is keep looking. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Better to find a mechanic with an under cover workshop, bung a fan heater underneath the front and dry it all off.

Then having learnt your lesson don't wash it again, it only leads to trouble.:ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Bite the bullet, take it to a Fiat Dealer:thumb:

The Fiat Forum is sometimes O K too

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun