IDP fir France (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Serious question, does anybody still have a paper licence?
Yes, my wife does. the 12 individual pieces are kept in the original plastic wallet and can, with a little patience, be pieced back together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well, you lot have been lucky. In the 10+ years I have lived in France, and driving a French vehicle, I have been stopped more times than ever in GB during 35+ years of driving in the GB.

Mainly lunch time early afternoons on roundabouts, gendarmes with rolls of breath testers draped over the road sign, their collegues not far away and armed
Think the clue is French reg car..French do like a tipple with their lunch..BUSBY.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I met a british couple a few days ago here in greece that have been living and touring europe in an old motorhome for 8 years and not been back to the uk once ....no mot no tax and most likely no insurance. Never asked if they had a licence or IDP lol

Just shows you what some can get away with ...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You just have to remind them why Europe is still a free place to roam around and not under a Nazi rule.,( Do mention the war ) (y) (y):LOL:
The anericans usually hire cars there though .... expensive to bring their own

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Strangely most of Europe has a police force, not a pretend hobby Bobby unit, and they do enforce the traffic regulations, which I fully support.
Do they?

I have to say that compared to the uk where there seems to be an abundance of bored petty police i find europe quite refreshing in the fact you rarely see one
And when you do they are just sat in the car drinking coffee and watching the sunset

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Relative to the mileage driven in the UK and France I have been breathalised more often in France. Maybe It's my face? xroll:The other impression is that the prevalence of mobile speed traps (especially the sneaky hidden ones) is greater in France than the UK.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Never see a policeman in England hardly..I live within 3 miles of Derbyshire Police HQ and the best chance of seeing a policeman is to go into Sainsburys at lunchtime...In Spain there are police everywhere,,,makes you feel safe i reckon...France is becoming a nightmare on main roads for the new radar machines,,BUSBY.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Are there really people out there who think the various nations police forces have the resources or the inclination to pull UK vehicles up to go through your documents?

Ive been driving all over Europe for many years (including before the EU) and (touch wood) Ive been stopped by the Police one time - early afternoon breathalyser in France ( I hadnt been drinking)
Nope totally agree however would it make your insurance invalid if you had to make a claim and did not have the correct documentation?

Knowing how much insurance companies love to pay out.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
This web page suggests if you hold an older paper licence, no photo, you MAY need the idp, good job im not going anywhere soon.....

You have not been supposed to drive in most of the eu with the paper licence for years

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Nope totally agree however would it make your insurance invalid if you had to make a claim and did not have the correct documentation?

Knowing how much insurance companies love to pay out.
I really don't think so. I can't imagine any insurance company thinking they could get away with it, similar to the overweight question.

AFAIK it has been confirmed that we don't need one anyway.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Serious question, does anybody still have a paper licence?
We do, we've lived here for 27 years so never needed to change it.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Wasnt aware of that, can you provide a reference please.

Did look at gov uk site and they think its valid, presumeably for uk

UK Gov said:
Paper driving licences issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence
More at https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

If you’ve a paper only driving licence and you’ve changed address you need a new drivers license. Iirc

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Never see a policeman in England hardly..I live within 3 miles of Derbyshire Police HQ and the best chance of seeing a policeman is to go into Sainsburys at lunchtime...In Spain there are police everywhere,,,makes you feel safe i reckon...France is becoming a nightmare on main roads for the new radar machines,,BUSBY.
Do you still receive the fines in the UK?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Just to point out there is an incorrect statement in The Times today related to what you have to do now to travel to the EU. It says you need an IDL but the Government web site confirms you don't. Apologies if this has been clocked earlier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back