Idiot of the Day (1 Viewer)

dolly the dog

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
After many years of motorhoming I have today done the most stupid thing, forgetting to turn of the gas ring and lowering the glass cover, 2 minutes later an almighty bang and millions of glass shards all over everything, managed to clean most of it up on site now need to find out where I can get the correct replacement, with regard to this could anyone help me with some advice on the following, My van is a Autotrail Expedition and the hob/sink unit is a Dometic with a reference on the label of M09222D.

I will need the left side glass which is over the hob and looking on the Internet I can only find one with reference M09222L, are the glass covers a standard size and are the holes for the metal hinges in the same place on all replacements, I have found some the correct size (440mm x 275mm) but concerned the holes may by different.

Any advice would be very welcome

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
After many years of motorhoming I have today done the most stupid thing, forgetting to turn of the gas ring and lowering the glass cover, 2 minutes later an almighty bang and millions of glass shards all over everything, managed to clean most of it up on site now need to find out where I can get the correct replacement, with regard to this could anyone help me with some advice on the following, My van is a Autotrail Expedition and the hob/sink unit is a Dometic with a reference on the label of M09222D.

I will need the left side glass which is over the hob and looking on the Internet I can only find one with reference M09222L, are the glass covers a standard size and are the holes for the metal hinges in the same place on all replacements, I have found some the correct size (440mm x 275mm) but concerned the holes may by different.

Interesting that there is not an interlock between the glass cover and the gas controls. We have a main gas range cooker all gas, a Belling Rangemaster which has a very large glass lid almost a metre wide which can be lowered over the hob. As you lower it, if any hob buyer is on the knobs turn off as there is a tab on the control knob connected to a mechanism. Don’t know why this is not done on motorhome gas bobs, would make the prices higher of course but save the glass shattering.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Comanche B16 1 MAN
Exp
Since 1992
I did the same thing, except I accidently switched the electric hob on. Returning to the MH 2 days later it was distinctly hot inside and covered in glass shards.
I got a replacement from Auto-Trail, around £100 I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
OK Derek. You've got me . . . as a Lioner . . what's your club ????, I've been mulling it over for ages but no joy, so have to cough up my ignorance 😁😁😁😁
You don't get it so easy.
I'm a Leodensian. Have a think on that one (and City's latest matches)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We managed to shut the grill door on a hot grill in our previous van. We took the grill out (it was pretty useless anyway) and replaced it with a microwave oven which was more useful and doubled as another locker when not in use for cooking.

The glass covers have always concerned me as they are so fragile. The only advantage I can see is that when raised they don't block out all the light from the window behind the hob (in our van at least). I've often wondered if a chopping board instead of the cover would be more practical.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
My dad says, anyone who hasn’t made a mistake hasn’t done anything.
My Dad told me that the man who hasn't made a mistake hasn't made anything ... And added, 'I'm looking at one of mine now ...' as he stared me in the eye. Still have no idea what he meant ... though I could have asked whether that was why Mum subcontracted the job to the Milkman ... (y) :LOL:

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boldy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2021
Hamilton
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C Line
Exp
6 years
If it makes you feel better I once tried to drive off with the rear steadies down! Haven’t done it since!
Hi I have written out a small card and I place it over the speedo when I lower the steadies so as not to forget they are down.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
You don't get it so easy.
I'm a Leodensian. Have a think on that one (and City's latest matches)
Yes Derek, and as a Leodensian was one of the many supporters to receive Peps benevolence last week hahahah,

No bother though, I've got over it now !!!!, though still fuming at yesterdays inept performance, I like the new Leeds set up and Manager, he's a breath of fresh air, no airs and graces just does the job properly, their performances since they came into the Premiership are a credit to him, and I enjoy watching them !!.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
My Dad told me that the man who hasn't made a mistake hasn't made anything ... And added, 'I'm looking at one of mine now ...' as he stared me in the eye. Still have no idea what he meant ... though I could have asked whether that was why Mum subcontracted the job to the Milkman ... (y) :LOL:

Steve
that quote about the man (or woman) who has not.... is on all my emails as a tag line! I have made it more PC though!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
If it makes you feel better I once tried to drive off with the rear steadies down! Haven’t done it since!
Once did that with a 7.5t police control vehicle. Luckily for the vehicle it was on some excellent turf, where we'd parked for a police 'Families Day' event. Left a couple of 25 yard long deep stripes in the grass though. I wasn't on the groundskeepers Christmas card list.

Upvote 0

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years

It amazes me that the glass cover does not have a automatic shut off when lowered,a friend of ours did the same as you.
But can't help with the question I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’m pleased they don’t have a switch on the cover. Makes it cost more, and something else to go wrong.

There are many many motorhomes, and caravans that aren’t smashing glass tops.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi, Had same exposion of glass on my Kon Tiki but the van was empty and everything turned off, glass particles everywhere, pried up a new one and when i picked myself up decided to inovate. It happened that a small caravan I had was an identical cover for the hob, so bought a sheet of polycard and cut out with a jig saw, smoothed edges fitted hinges and hey presto, £10 er sorted. A few months later I sold the Caravan and decided to swop the cooker lids so Kon Tiki is back to original. Easy to make a polycarb lid.
Only issue I'd have with using polycarb or acrylic is that it's not heatproof so if it gets warm it could melt.

Upvote 0

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
Could have been worse. I was on a rally a couple of years back and a tugger pitched behind and across my pitch, went out and left the hob on with the lid down and numerous things on top of it, including a washing up bowl, towels etc and a ltr bottle of cooking oil!
Fortunately I was outside and heard a bang ( glass lid exploding) next thing it was on fire. I had visions of my van going up. Luckily for me he had left his hab door unlocked. I was straight in there and tackled the fire, which fortunately wasnt too big, but loads of smoke.
When he came back, didnt even say thanks for saving his van, or his holiday in Spain.
your quite a person. stay happy. he will do somthing again. but you want be there. his so called bacon, will be frazzuld. ok.pj
keep yew a troshin !

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
My tugging days started in Rhodesia now Zimbabwe and hired a caravan in Salisbury (Harare) and at one point set off having unhooked the hitch but forgot the electrics. I have set off with the steadies down also or the jockey wheel. Hence I leave notes on the dashboard about what is plugged in/attached outside. We have all done something daft!

Upvote 0

sootybowtie

Free Member
Oct 22, 2017
Funster No

We did the exact same thing. Got ours from a local glass firm , 4mm cut to size and toughened. £20. Great

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Last place I expected a spoiler.
Folk cannot resist their humorous sporting quips :banghead:

So dolly the dog you're certainly not "idiot of the day" IMO.
Perhaps we should have an "inconsiderate" post of the day award?
The simple spoiler tools at this site aren’t simple enough 🤔
Need a feature request made to management 😳

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
It should be mandatory that the makers of these cookers fit a gas auto cut-off switch that activates when the lid is lowered over the hob!
It is a simple & very small mechanical device already fitted to house cookers of a similar design.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
It should be mandatory that the makers of these cookers fit a gas auto cut-off switch that activates when the lid is lowered over the hob!
It is a simple & very small mechanical device already fitted to house cookers of a similar design.
one of the biggest causes of condeming cookers when i did housing work usually siezed and caked in grease

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
one of the biggest causes of condeming cookers when i did housing work usually siezed and caked in grease
That would arise only from years of use and neglect - hardly an issue with motorhomes.

Upvote 0

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
How about sticking a piece of rubber inner tube or something else that smells really strong when burnt, to the bottom of the glass?! I'm sure there's better ideas of something that would immediately alert you to your mistake...

Upvote 0

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
He didn't do a bad job the previous week against Leeds Utd.
Personally I quite enjoyed the game. If it’s any consolation both teams have such strong squads trying to pick a first 11. Good luck with that.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Most Caravans, (washes mouth out) LOL have a system, or at did have, that turned the gas supply off when the lid was closed.
I was alarmed to find when we moved over to motorhomes that the Continental vans didn't have the facility.
I don't know if it applies to UK Vans as Swift etc still seem to install a full cooker a La Caravans.

Upvote 0
May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
I wonder how many like us have driven off plugged in to the electricity? it always makes you feel a real plonker but so long as you are safe don't worry. I have often wondered if those glass tops are heat proof. I wonder if you could use one of those pyrex glass sheets made to go on the worktop beside a kitchen hob. Cut to size??

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wonder how many like us have driven off plugged in to the electricity? it always makes you feel a real plonker but so long as you are safe don't worry. I have often wondered if those glass tops are heat proof. I wonder if you could use one of those pyrex glass sheets made to go on the worktop beside a kitchen hob. Cut to size??
You could but it's getting it 'cut to size' and the holes drilled in for the hinge fastenings that's the problem, cutting glass isn't easy!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back