Idiot’s guide to solar? (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Even after over 30 years of motorhoming I know less than nothing about solar so am looking for advice.

We have a 120W solar panel on our m/h charging the habitation battery only. The controller is capable of supplying the cab battery too and I have been considering connecting it up.

However, in the controller instructions it says that if a battery is connected to terminal 1, in this case the leisure battery, it will “assume” that the second battery, on terminal 2, is of the same type. They cannot be set differently.

In our case the hab battery is AGM and the vehicle is lead acid. I seem to remember reading that the two are not compatible. Am I correct?

What would be the consequence of simply connecting terminal 2 to the battery in this case?

Thanks in anticipation.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
AGM has a slightly higher charge voltage need than a regular Flooded lead acid so charging the wet lead acid cab battery may overcharge it.
If you change the controller to Flooded the hab battery won't get enough charge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not an expert but I believe that an AGM battery is still classed as a lead acid one.
Agreed, they are all lead acid.
The difference is a Flooded lead acid is just that, a liquid electrolyte
An AGM is also a wet battery but the electrolyte is Absobed into a glass matting between the plates.
A Gel uses a gellified electrolyte so can be used at any angle, even upside down, and the plates remain covered

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thank you for the replies.

I will delay connecting the vehicle battery until I have a controller which can be set for the two different batteries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back